Thread: Eric Bailly
View Single Post
Old 27-04-2021, 09:23 AM   #109
zudomiriku

Thanked 1,785 Times in 921 Posts
Mentioned: 274 Post(s)
zudomiriku has a reputation beyond reputezudomiriku has a reputation beyond reputezudomiriku has a reputation beyond reputezudomiriku has a reputation beyond reputezudomiriku has a reputation beyond reputezudomiriku has a reputation beyond reputezudomiriku has a reputation beyond reputezudomiriku has a reputation beyond reputezudomiriku has a reputation beyond reputezudomiriku has a reputation beyond reputezudomiriku has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Eric Bailly

Eric Bailly sets his sights on 'big dream' of winning the Premier League title with Manchester United after signing new contract - once Ole Gunnar Solskjaer had reassured him over his playing time

* Eric Bailly signs new contract at Manchester United that runs through to 2024
* The defender had previously seemed likely to leave the club this summer
* However Ole Gunnar Solskjaer has reassured Bailly over his minutes on the pitch
* New long-term deal has the option of a further year extension for the 27-year-old

Eric Bailly has signed a new deal at Manchester United that commits him to the club until 2024.

The 27-year-old's existing contract has just over a year to run, and with the club believed to be looking to sign another centre back this summer and Bailly's first-team opportunities already increasingly limited, a departure at the end of the season seemed likely.

However, Bailly has received sufficient reassurances over his playing time and

Eric Bailly has agreed a new deal at Manchester United to extend his contract until 2024

The defender was reassured by Ole Gunnar Solskjaer over his playing time should he stay fit

'I'm very happy,' Bailly told the club's official website. 'This decision is something I didn't have to think about, I love this club and I love playing for Manchester United.

'I'm happy and so are my family, everything is good. Now the moment with my injury has passed and I'm fit and feel good, and that's it. A new contract is like a new challenge and I'm ready for this.

'That's why I say the new contract shows the group has confidence in me - the coach, the staff and the players and, for me, that is very important. And that's why I made this decision to stay at the club.

'For me, it's the dream to be here. Now it's my fifth season and I hope to be here a long time.

Bailly revealed his love for playing for United and his desire to win the biggest trophies

'We are in a good position. We have the Europa League and we are second in the league and that is very good.

'We hope we can win this trophy [Europa League] – it is very important for us and for the fans and for the season. We want to finish well in the Premier League as well, I'm sure we will.'

Bailly also made it clear that his ambition is to win trophies at the club, and he remains confident that the Reds will be in an even stronger position to do so next season.

'I hope I can be ready and I don't get any injuries and to be strong and finish the season well,' Bailly said.

'I hope to win the Europa League this season. We will have more challenges next season - hopefully the Champions League - and, for me, my dream is to win the Premier League, that's my big dream.

'I believe, I believe. I believe in my team-mates. We are a good, young team. The team wants to improve and that's very important for the group for next season.'

The Ivorian has made just seven Premier League starts so far this season and has found himself behind Victor Lindelof as the favoured partner for Harry Maguire.

However, Bailly's manager Ole Gunnar Solskjaer revealed he sees the defender as an important part of his squad going forward.

Solskjaer said: 'I am pleased that Eric has signed this new contract. He is still learning and improving all of the time under the coaches here.

Solskjaer believes Bailly's speed and aggression will prove important to the United squad. Injuries have hampered much of Bailly's time in Manchester since his arrival back in 2016

'Eric has improved his robustness since my time as manager and he will continue to play a significant part in the squad.

'He possesses fantastic speed, timing of tackle and has that aggression which, of course, you need as a centre-back. He is a popular member of the squad and we look forward to continuing to work with him going forward.'

Bailly was an unused substituted for United's 0-0 draw with Leeds in their last match, having missed the club's three previous matches after testing positive for Covid-19 while on international duty.

He has made more than 100 appearances for United since he arrived for £30million in 2016 from Villarreal as Jose Mourinho's first signing as manager at the club.

Injuries have hampered his progress though, and limited the defender to just 37 league appearances since the start of the 2017/18 season.

Code:
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-9512159/Eric-Bailly-set-sign-shock-new-Manchester-United-deal-given-reassurances.html