View Single Post
Old 06-10-2010, 05:12 PM   #1
rondwisan

Thanked 4,736 Times in 2,701 Posts
Mentioned: 567 Post(s)
rondwisan has a reputation beyond reputerondwisan has a reputation beyond reputerondwisan has a reputation beyond reputerondwisan has a reputation beyond reputerondwisan has a reputation beyond reputerondwisan has a reputation beyond reputerondwisan has a reputation beyond reputerondwisan has a reputation beyond reputerondwisan has a reputation beyond reputerondwisan has a reputation beyond reputerondwisan has a reputation beyond repute
Visit rondwisan's Facebook Visit rondwisan's Twitter
Default Alan Keegan, the stadium announcer

06/10/2010 07:35 - ManUtd.com, Mark Froggatt
Meet the staff... Alan Keegan

Stadium announcer Alan Keegan says it’s an honour to work for the club he’s followed all his life…

So why is it United for you?
I’ve always been a Red; I used to sit in the Stretford End for 20 years before I got this job. It was an absolute privilege and honour when I was asked to became the announcer at the world’s greatest football club and I enjoy everything about the role.

How did you get the job?
I actually used to do the announcements for Manchester City at Maine Road. I was always very professional and just got on with my job even though I’m such a big Red. I soon started to do some work for United in the corporate hospitality suites, which resulted in me getting this job when my predecessor left. Famous United fans like James Nesbitt and Eamonn Holmes say to me ‘you’ve got the world’s greatest job and I’d love it,’ which is frightening when you consider how much they’ve achieved in their careers.

You’ve got one of the best seats in the house on match days, stood by the dug-out…
Absolutely. I can see Sir Alex and Mick Phelan talking through tactical plans and if there is a substitution I am the first person to find out. It’s a real privilege because I have the best of both worlds; the atmosphere of the stadium and the running of the game.

In your 10 years with United, what’s been your favourite memory?
For me it was the 2008 Champions League semi-final win over Barcelona when Paul Scholes scored the winner. The game had everything - drama, emotion, excitement and a stunning goal. Scholesy scored after 14 minutes and I’ve got to say as a fan and the announcer, it was the longest 76 minutes or so of my football life!

Which game do you most look forward to each season?
For me, it's Liverpool at Old Trafford. It’s the first one I look for when the fixture list comes out. We play the Stone Roses ‘This is the one’ before kick-off and it couldn’t have a bigger meaning for a bigger game when we play Liverpool.
“Let’s not underestimate the other teams. They are very good teams and there are a lot of games to play before the end of the season. We’re in a good position. But that means nothing if you don’t win the next game.” - Dimitar Berbatov
rondwisan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to rondwisan For This Useful Post: