View Single Post
Old 12-04-2016, 10:33 PM   #10
penk22_
Divisi IT

Thanked 1,066 Times in 595 Posts
Mentioned: 558 Post(s)
penk22_ has a reputation beyond reputepenk22_ has a reputation beyond reputepenk22_ has a reputation beyond reputepenk22_ has a reputation beyond reputepenk22_ has a reputation beyond reputepenk22_ has a reputation beyond reputepenk22_ has a reputation beyond reputepenk22_ has a reputation beyond reputepenk22_ has a reputation beyond reputepenk22_ has a reputation beyond reputepenk22_ has a reputation beyond repute
Visit penk22_'s Facebook Visit penk22_'s Twitter
Default Re: [FA Cup - replay] West Ham United vs Manchester United

Van Gaal : Our last chance of glory

Manchester United manager Louis van Gaal appreciates the importance of Wednesday's Emirates FA Cup quarter-final replay at West Ham United with the competition offering the last chance to secure some silverware this season.

The Reds' top-four hopes in the Barclays Premier League received a blow at Tottenham Hotspur at the weekend but the boss is hopeful his charges can show great character to respond by knocking the Hammers out of the cup at the second time of asking.

Anthony Martial's equaliser cancelled out Dimitri Payet's free-kick in the initial tie at Old Trafford a month ago and van Gaal is aware of the task facing his team with Andy Carroll in the headlines after a hat-trick in the 3-3 draw against Arsenal on Saturday.

"I have seen 'The Andy Carroll Show' and I think our problem [at Spurs] was the miscommunication of our central defenders," he told reporters. "So I hope that we will improve our communication because this is a very important game for us.

"It is our last chance of a trophy so it is very important for the players, for the club, for the manager and for the fans. Still, we have one day less than West Ham [to prepare] and that is also important. But we have proved against Arsenal and Manchester City, in spite of having less days to recover, that we could beat them so I hope that we shall recover very well. Also mentally, because this is a blow [at White Hart Lane] of course, but everybody knows this is the last chance."

Carroll showed his attacking prowess during the entertaining clash against the Gunners but West Ham have threats in other areas, including France international Payet.

"He [Carroll] has special qualities and we have seen that in the match he played on Saturday," added van Gaal. "It was also against Arsenal and they have great central defenders and yet still he could do that. So we have to cope with Andy Carroll but not only him, also with the other players they have. A certain player named Payet, for example, he can also play and [Manuel] Lanzini can also play and score goals."

The Reds may be under pressure going into the last-ever cup tie at Upton Park but van Gaal expects his players to deliver when the stakes are so high.

"I think that the players of Manchester United have to cope with that pressure," he said. "They have done it always and they know that every game in a cup is a match that you have to win. It is must-win because, otherwise, you are out of the cup and I think West Ham also have that problem.

"So I don't think that [the pressure] plays a role - both teams have to cope with that. Each side knows when you're not winning, you're out of the cup and you don't have any title."

HTML Code:
http://www.manutd.com/en/News-And-Features/Football-News/2016/Apr/louis-van-gaal-previews-manchester-united-fa-cup-replay-at-west-ham-united.aspx