View Single Post
Old 14-02-2015, 05:43 PM   #14
rondwisan

Thanked 4,736 Times in 2,701 Posts
Mentioned: 567 Post(s)
rondwisan has a reputation beyond reputerondwisan has a reputation beyond reputerondwisan has a reputation beyond reputerondwisan has a reputation beyond reputerondwisan has a reputation beyond reputerondwisan has a reputation beyond reputerondwisan has a reputation beyond reputerondwisan has a reputation beyond reputerondwisan has a reputation beyond reputerondwisan has a reputation beyond reputerondwisan has a reputation beyond repute
Visit rondwisan's Facebook Visit rondwisan's Twitter
Default Re: [FAC] Preston North End vs Manchester United, 5th round

13/02/2015 - ManUtd.com, James Tuck
Van Gaal waits on doubtful trio

Louis van Gaal is waiting on the fitness of Phil Jones, Daley Blind and Robin van Persie ahead of Manchester United’s FA Cup clash with Preston North End on Monday, while Michael Carrick has suffered a minor setback.

Jones limped off in the fifth minute of the Reds’ 3-1 win over Burnley on Wednesday with a knee problem, while Blind was also forced off before the break after sustaining a knock to the head.

Asked by MUTV how Jones and Blind were recovering, van Gaal replied: "I don't know. We have to wait and see. I don't think it's a heavy injury for Jones.

"With Blind, I say what the doctor has said – we’ll wait and see. I think he shall play on Monday – that’s my expectation, but you never know."

On Carrick, who has missed the last four games with a calf injury, the boss added: "He has a fallback [setback], and that’s not unusual with injuries, so we will also have to wait and see."

Van Gaal then confirmed to reporters at his press conference that van Persie, who completed the full 90 minutes and scored against the Clarets, has "something" and will be doubtful for Monday's game.

United are away at a lower-league club for the third round in succession in this season’s cup and van Gaal believes the League One Lilywhites will provide just as big a test as Yeovil and Cambridge did in the previous rounds.

"It’s always the same because you know the world is for the underdog and we have to play away under the same circumstances as at Cambridge or Yeovil, so it shall be very difficult," the manager said.

"You know that they play more or less with two rows of four and a striker who is dropping in, as did Cambridge and Yeovil and also the last [league] games, for example Queens Park Rangers and Burnley. It is always difficult to play against a defending team.

"It’s our goal to win a [trophy] and I hope to win one for the fans of Manchester United. It could be the FA Cup but it’s very easy to say that. It’s not so easy to reach the final and then win the final – that is difficult."

United will have as many as 6,000 fans at Deepdale and van Gaal was quick to recognise the role they could play in helping the Reds reach the last eight.

"It’s very important," he told MUTV. "I have already said many times about the fantastic fans in spite of maybe not-so-good levels in parts of the game.

"They are supporting us and are very important. I am pleased that they are there because then we also have a little bit of support in our away matches."

Last edited by rondwisan; 14-02-2015 at 11:40 PM..