academy

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
rizluq has no contributions yet
Visit rizluq's Facebook Visit rizluq's Twitter
Default Re: Championship - News and Rumors

Confusion reigns at Huddersfield as two yellows don't add up to a red

Press Association
The Observer

The body in charge of referees have announced they will conduct an investigation into Mick Russell's failure to send off Sheffield Wednesday's Jeremy Helan in the Championship derby at Huddersfield – a decision that left Simon Grayson, the home side's manager, feeling "staggered". Confusion surrounded two incidents involving Helan in the first half of the goalless draw.

The Professional Game Match Officials Limited said in a statement: "PGMOL are to conduct an investigation into the incident. In the eighth minute of the match Mick Russell, the referee, stopped play when Jeremy Helan was adjudged to have simulated an offence inside the Huddersfield penalty area.

"However, it appears that instead of Helan (No24) receiving a caution, one was given instead for Michail Antonio (No7). At this point the referee recorded the name and number of Antonio in his notebook and advised the fourth official over the communication system that Antonio, No7, had been cautioned.

"In the 25th minute Helan was cautioned following a foul challenge. As the referee had not previously recorded his name he did not issue a red card for receiving a second caution in the same game. The official has subsequently admitted making a genuine error and PGMOL need to determine why this arose and what sanction, if any, should be administered to the match officials."

Earlier, Grayson said: "I think he's probably written the wrong number down in his book, which is staggering, and I also think he should have been helped by his officials, who should be overruling because they all know, when a referee makes a mistake like that, who he's booking. The linesman should be helping out. He's not done it deliberately but you can't make major mistakes like that.

"He's put Antonio's number in his book but he was nowhere near the incident. I don't mind referees making big mistakes in terms of tackles and sendings-off but something quite simple like that shouldn't be happening in Championship football.

"I'm not going to say Wednesday going down to 10 men would have guaranteed us winning the game but it would have certainly helped us. I just think referees in general should be accountable for any decisions and have a press conference after the game."

Amid the chaos, though, it appeared the Huddersfield defender Anthony Gerrard understood what had happened. "I didn't really notice to be honest. I thought he had booked two different players," he said. "I thought the first booking for the dive in the box was Antonio and the second one was Helan, so I didn't concern myself with it. If he did make a mistake, so be it, it's just one of those things that can happen."

The Wednesday manager, Dave Jones, believed Helan and not Antonio had been booked for diving – but he was more concerned about the accusation that one of his players had dived. "I don't know about a first booking: it was a penalty. That's the controversy," Jones said. "Helan has been clipped and he's not the type of lad to dive. I think we should have won the game. That's what I'm perplexed about."
rizluq is offline   Reply With Quote