Thread: Michael Carrick
View Single Post
Old 07-12-2009, 11:07 PM   #18
drivemein
first team

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
drivemein is just really nicedrivemein is just really nicedrivemein is just really nicedrivemein is just really nice
Default Re: Michael Carrick

Carrick happy to fill in for United
-msn.foxsports.com-

Michael Carrick accepts he is not the next Rio Ferdinand, but claims he is happy filling in at centre-half if needed for Manchester United.

The England international finished United's 4-0 weekend win at West Ham at the heart of Sir Alex Ferguson's defence following an injury to Gary Neville.

Carrick was forced to play 56 minutes at the back alongside Patrice Evra, although it mattered little as the reigning champions strolled to a convincing win over the struggling Hammers.

The former West Ham midfielder was happy with his defensive outing and hopes gaining experience as an out-and-out defender could bolster his midfield attributes.

"I'm not exactly the next Rio Ferdinand but it was one of those days," explained Carrick.

"The first time I have ever played there in my life was at this level, but the lads made it easier by playing the way that they did.

"I really enjoyed it. It's different surroundings and a whole different perspective on the game.

"You're not involved as much as when you're in midfield, but maybe it will help with my defending when I'm back in midfield."

Team-mate Darron Gibson, who scored at Upton Park, reserved special praise for Carrick for playing much of the match out of position.

"Not only did we win, but to come away with such a convincing performance is a great show from all the lads," added Gibson.

"Michael did ever so well, but I don't think Rio's got anything to worry about. The manager told Michael he might have to play centre-half if anything happened.

"It's unusual for us to be missing so many defenders, but we've got so many players who can come and step in and give a performance and fill the gaps."
drivemein is offline   Reply With Quote