Thread: Michael Carrick
View Single Post
Old 10-12-2009, 03:37 PM   #19
drivemein
first team

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
drivemein is just really nicedrivemein is just really nicedrivemein is just really nicedrivemein is just really nice
Default Re: Michael Carrick

Carrick: We're in top form
-manutd.com-

Michael Carrick says United are ready to starting clicking through gears in pursuit of top honours.

Having topped Group B in the Champions League with a performance full of character in the face of horrendous injury problems, and of course courtesy of the deadly finishing of Michael Owen, the Reds are now ready to turn the focus onto league matters.

Aston Villa visit Old Trafford on Saturday evening in one of the toughest fixtures on the winter schedule. United have been in excellent form in the league, hitting three past Everton, scoring four against Portsmouth and claiming another four against West Ham.

And despite the team's injury-hit defence, which has forced Carrick to twice be deployed as an emergency - and impressive - centre-back, the Reds midfielder promises United are looking only to extend that run of form.

"We won't take our foot off the pedal now," he says. "We're starting to play well now and we are scoring some goals too. Hopefully that continues.

"There's an awful long way to go and we are not getting carried away. But we have been there before and know what is required. It is about doing the business now."

Carrick could find himself partnering Nemanja Vidic in central defence against Villa, but the against-odds triumph of the makeshift defence in Wolfsburg has given him confidence in this temporary position.

"We will have to see who is back," he said. "That might be the end for me [at centre-back]. We'll have to see what the body count is like. It is another big game.

"Against Wolfsburg it was the first time a lot of us have played that system and in those positions," he said. "So it was very satisfying to come away with a win.

"It is a lot different playing centre-half to midfield. I enjoyed it though. It was a good test for us. It's not the physical side that's hard about playing centre-half it's the mental aspect. Concentration and focus are vital... and hoping for the best!"

Carrick has taken to the role with aplomb, although his adaptability may be tested to the full if he lines up in defence against Villa's pace and physical dominance. But against Wolfsburg's powerful forwards Edin Dzeko and Grafite, at least he got some good practice.

"I just tried to put myself in the right positions and tried to do my best," he added. "I've never headed the ball as much before! They had a spell in the second half, which you expect away from home, but we did well to come away with the points.

"We rode our luck at times but we knew we had to do that. We got our heads down and worked hard and the lads in front of us were brilliant keeping the ball. Overall it was a great night."
drivemein is offline   Reply With Quote