View Single Post
Old 10-04-2010, 05:55 PM   #24
drivemein
first team

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
drivemein is just really nicedrivemein is just really nicedrivemein is just really nicedrivemein is just really nice
Default Re: [EPL] Rovers vs Man Utd

Bring on Manchester United, says Blackburn Rovers defender Samba
-lancashiretelegraph.co.uk-

CHRIS Samba will be gutted not to be facing Wayne Rooney at Ewood Park tomorrow – after warning ‘we can beat United with or without Roo’.

Manchester United’s talismanic striker is expected to miss the Premier League clash with an ankle injury to boost Blackburn Rovers’ hopes of picking up another Ewood scalp, but Samba insists he would prefer to play against the Champions’ very best.

Rovers have lost just three home games out of their last 27 during Sam Allardyce’s Rovers reign and stand-in skipper Samba insists ‘fortress Ewood’ will strike fear into any side’s hearts.

Sir Alex Ferguson has already ruled Rooney out of Sunday’s clash but, with the Scot no stranger to mind games, Rovers will be prepared for anything United have to throw at them.

Samba said: “There is no reason at Ewood Park why we can’t beat anyone. We believe it will take a lot to beat us at home. We have a good home record this season.

“There is a good atmosphere at the ground and that helps to push us on to have more strength. We are ready to play against the best.

“I will be disappointed if Rooney does not play. I don’t know about the others but I definitely feel like that. I want to test myself against the best. I don’t see the point in not wanting to challenge yourself.

“Having said that, although he is an important player they have other great players. They are a dangerous team with or without him.”

Samba’s central defensive partner remains unknown, with Sam Allardyce admitting he faces a selection dilemma between 18-year-old Phil Jones and the fit-again captain Ryan Nelsen.

In Nelsen’s absence, Samba has been wearing the armband with great aplomb but the giant defender insists he would have no problems in giving it up tomorrow.

He said: “Phil Jones has shown his quality and I am sure he has a good future. He is a talented lad, who keeps his head down and works hard and I am very happy for him.

“It has been good to captain the team and I have tried to do it the best I can. Ryan Nelsen will be hoping he comes back though and he has been a great leader for so long.

“Every time you play against the champions it is difficult.

"But we try to beat them every time. A couple of years ago they scored in the 90th minute to get a draw and that was their best team.”