Thread: Dean Henderson
View Single Post
Old 27-03-2022, 09:51 AM   #88
zudomiriku

Thanked 1,785 Times in 921 Posts
Mentioned: 274 Post(s)
zudomiriku has a reputation beyond reputezudomiriku has a reputation beyond reputezudomiriku has a reputation beyond reputezudomiriku has a reputation beyond reputezudomiriku has a reputation beyond reputezudomiriku has a reputation beyond reputezudomiriku has a reputation beyond reputezudomiriku has a reputation beyond reputezudomiriku has a reputation beyond reputezudomiriku has a reputation beyond reputezudomiriku has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dean Henderson

'I'd be playing in League One if I hadn't gone on loan!': Manchester United goalkeeper Dean Henderson is thankful for time spent away from Old Trafford as he battles David de Gea for No 1 spot

* Dean Henderson says spending time at Stockport is the 'best decision' of his life
* He was on loan to the National League side during the 2015-2016 season
* Henderson has been limited to just three appearances at Man United this season

Manchester United goalkeeper Dean Henderson has admitted he would 'probably be in League One now' if he didn't go out on loan earlier in his career.

Henderson spent time with Stockport County during the 2015/16 campaign and played nine times for the National League side.

That was followed up by more loan moves to Grimsby and Shrewsbury but Henderson believes he would not be where he is now if he didn't go to Stockport.

The 25-year-old told Manchester United's website: 'I remember going [to Stockport] when I was a young kid.

'To be fair, I absolutely loved it. It was tough, really hard, as a young boy. Going into that division was an eye-opener for me. I'm thankful for the opportunity given to me by the manager at the time, Jim Gannon, for sticking by me because I didn't play too well.

'I was really getting smashed on crosses, kicking the ball 80 yards on to the striker's head and, if I didn't do so, the manager was screaming at me from the touchline. It stood me in good stead and I really appreciate the opportunity they gave me.

'I think my debut, in the first five minutes, their big striker said: 'Stick it on the goalie, he's pooping himself'. I thought: "Right mate, I'm coming for this". So I made my mind up I was coming for it and, before I even got there, he flicked it over my head. These are the things you learn and move on. It was great for me.

Man United's Den Henderson says spending time at Stockport is the 'best decision' of his life. Henderson has become United's No 2 and and an England international since his loan spellsBut he has been limited to just three appearances this season due to David de Gea's form

'It's why I'm sitting here today. If I didn't [go out on loan], I'd probably be in League One now, just going out on my first loan. I fought for it and I stand by it, the best decision of my life.'

Henderson was set to start the season as United's No 1 but an untimely bout of Covid allowed David de Gea to grab the starting position and he has been one of the Old Trafford club's best performers.

The England international has made just three appearances for the Red Devils this season and could be set to leave the club this summer, with the likes of Newcastle interested in him.

Code:
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-10655009/Man-United-goalkeeper-Dean-Henderson-says-thankful-time-spent-away-Old-Trafford.html