Thread: Michael Carrick
View Single Post
Old 07-08-2009, 07:41 AM   #5
rondwisan

Thanked 4,736 Times in 2,701 Posts
Mentioned: 567 Post(s)
rondwisan has a reputation beyond reputerondwisan has a reputation beyond reputerondwisan has a reputation beyond reputerondwisan has a reputation beyond reputerondwisan has a reputation beyond reputerondwisan has a reputation beyond reputerondwisan has a reputation beyond reputerondwisan has a reputation beyond reputerondwisan has a reputation beyond reputerondwisan has a reputation beyond reputerondwisan has a reputation beyond repute
Visit rondwisan's Facebook Visit rondwisan's Twitter
Default Re: Michael Carrick

06/08/2009 08:15 - ManUtd.com, Gemma Thompson
Carrick ready to go again

Michael Carrick has never felt worse than he did after the defeat to Barcelona last May. Yet, as the midfield lynchpin told United Review, the Rome experience has merely made the players more determined to win further silverware....

How was your summer - did you completely switch off from football or spend time reflecting on last season?
I tried to switch off and relax, but it was quite hard after what happened in Rome. I’m still trying to get over losing the [Champions League] final, and I don’t think I will until I win it again. But when you look at the bigger picture, it was a successful campaign. We went to Japan and came back as world champions, won the Carling Cup and went on to win the league for a third time in a row, so we showed how good a team we are.

How does the squad’s mood compare to that of the last few pre-seasons?
It’s the same as always, we’re ready to go again. That’s the beauty of this club, despite all the success, every year you come back and want to achieve more. What’s happened has gone, now it’s about looking forward and trying to earn it all over again.

Have you sensed the team’s renewed determination after the Barça loss?
We’re just as determined as we always are. Winning in Moscow last year was amazing, and we were desperate to repeat that feat. We’ve experienced two very different nights in relatively quick succession, and we know which we like best. Losing like we did in Rome was hard to take, and no-one wants to experience that again. It’s certainly the worst I’ve ever felt after a match – it took about a week for any of my family to be able to talk to me properly. We’ve all learnt a lot from what happened and are determined to come back stronger this season.

There have been a few comings and goings over the summer - how do you assess the strength of the squad?
I don’t think it can be questioned. The gaffer has assembled a fantastic group, bringing in a great mixture of younger lads and experienced players, and the strength and depth here is second to none. Obviously losing Cristiano [Ronaldo] was disappointing because he’s been a huge player for us, but we’ve got a lot of top players here to deal with that and still be successful.

You recently celebrated your 28th birthday – do you feel you’re reaching your prime as a player?
I certainly feel great. Around your late 20s and early 30s is the time when players tend to peak – hopefully I can do that and keep it going as well!

Was last season your best in a United shirt, and perhaps your career?
Maybe, yes. It’s difficult to judge, though, because the season before we won the league and Champions League, and I played the same way. The longer you’re here and the more games you play, the more responsibility there is on your shoulders, and you have to step up to that. I want to keep working hard on every aspect of my game and become the best player I possibly can.

Finally, after football, what’s your favourite sport?
To play, I’d say golf, but to watch it has to be Formula 1. I’ve been lucky enough to go to a few Grand Prix meetings and chat to the drivers. I’ve met Mark Webber a few times, he really looked after me when I went to Monaco last year, and I watched this year’s British Grand Prix from inside the Red Bull team’s garage. They even gave me headphones so I could hear what the drivers [Sebastian Vettel and Webber] were saying to the team. They finished first and second respectively, so it was a great atmosphere.
rondwisan is offline   Reply With Quote