View Single Post
Old 10-05-2010, 04:36 AM   #83
drivemein
first team

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
drivemein is just really nicedrivemein is just really nicedrivemein is just really nicedrivemein is just really nice
Default Re: [EPL] Man Utd vs Stoke

Stoke fans: Most bizarre supporters in the league?
-strettyender.com-

As a Manchester United fan I’m no stranger to intense rivalries. Our local derby matches against City, as well as regional derbies against the likes of Liverpool and Leeds United are generally very intense and filled with passion and quite often hatred. But I never quite realized until today that Stoke see us as one of their rivals.

The behaviour of their fans today was nothing short of shocking. They seem to be living in some sort of alternate reality where they’re one of our main rivals, when in actual fact they’re barely even on our radar. I almost expect it when the likes of Liverpool and City sing about the Munich disaster, but coming from Stoke fans it was just weird.

The sheer hatred they have for our club and its supporters borders on the bizarre. Sadly for the Stoke players, their fans hatred for us seems to be more important than cheering their own team on. In fact they were more interested in cheering for Chelsea today than cheering their team on to earning some pride with a dignified display against the deposed Champions of England.

Perhaps the most bizarre song they came up with was “You’re gonna win **** all”. If the irony of 11th placed Stoke singing that song wasn’t enough, the fact that we won the Carling Cup this year just made it even stranger. I know the Carling Cup can hardly be described as a major honour, but a trophy is a trophy at the end of the day.

The most unclassy thing of the night though was not the Munich songs, it was the way their fans sang about Chelsea during Sir Alex Ferguson’s speech. I can only imagine what it must feel like to be a Stoke player, when your fans pay more attention to what the opposition are doing. I guess the players and manager must take a share of the blame for that though.

Their tactic (note this is singular) of ‘win a throw in and get Delap on it’ is incredibly boring so I can understand to a certain extent that they have to come up with novel ways of entertaining themselves each week. However, what I can’t understand is the strange hate filled obsession they have with our football club.