Thread: Marcel Sabitzer
View Single Post
Old 02-02-2023, 09:05 AM   #4
zudomiriku

Thanked 1,785 Times in 921 Posts
Mentioned: 274 Post(s)
zudomiriku has a reputation beyond reputezudomiriku has a reputation beyond reputezudomiriku has a reputation beyond reputezudomiriku has a reputation beyond reputezudomiriku has a reputation beyond reputezudomiriku has a reputation beyond reputezudomiriku has a reputation beyond reputezudomiriku has a reputation beyond reputezudomiriku has a reputation beyond reputezudomiriku has a reputation beyond reputezudomiriku has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Marcel Sabitzer

Former Manchester United coach Rene Meulensteen claims 'winner' Marcel Sabitzer is a 'very clever' signing and praises the Red Devils for their 'quick and astute reaction' to Christian Eriksen's injury

* Marcel Sabitzer joined Manchester United on loan deal from Bayern Munich
* The Austrian international is expected to cover for the injured Christian Eriksen
* Rene Meulensteen praised the Man United's quick reaction to the injury blow

Former Manchester United coach Rene Meulensteen has praised the Red Devils for their quick reaction in signing Marcel Sabitzer on loan, following Christian Eriksen being ruled out for three months.

The Austrian international was signed on deadline day, completing a loan move from German champions Bayern Munich.

United moved fast to sign Sabitzer after receiving confirmation that Eriksen will be out of action until early May with an ankle injury, sustained following a reckless tackle by Reading's Andy Carroll.

Meulensteen, speaking on BBC Radio 5 Live, admitted Eriksen would be a big miss for Erik ten Hag's side.

Marcel Sabitzer watched Manchester United's Carabao Cup semi-final from the directors' box. Rene Meulensteen praised his former club for their astute decision to sign the Austrian star

The former United coach, who worked at the club between 2001 and 2013, believes Sabitzer can fill the void left by the Danish midfielder.

'I think it's a really quick and astute reaction from Manchester United,' Meulensteen said. 'I am a big Christian Eriksen fan, he's such a great player and is one of the only ones who links the build-up to attack.

'He is a big miss for United but for them act so quickly and bring in Sabitzer on loan - he must have been somewhere on the radar with the club or Erik ten Hag before.

'He is in Ten Hag's mould. He's a winner, he's a versatile midfield player.

'He can do all sorts of things. I think he is definitely a very, very clever signing.'

Sabitzer made a name for himself at RB Leipzig with some impressive displays between 2014 and 2021.

The 28-year-old appeared 229 times in total for Leipzig, netting 52 goals in the process before earning a £14m switch to Bayern.

Sabitzer has played 54 times since arriving at Bayern in 2021, scoring twice, but has struggled to earn regular first team football.

The midfielder started just eight times in the Bundesliga last season, coming off the bench 17 times - scoring once and providing one assist.

Sabitzer has found himself frozen out at the Allianz Arena this season and has not started a game since before the World Cup in early November - during their 2-0 Champions League win against Inter Milan.

His agent Roger Wittmann admitted the midfielder was unhappy when he was not playing, but echoed the comments of Meulensteen in labelling Sabitzer as a 'winner'.

'[He's] the most unpleasant person to be around when he's not playing,' Wittmann said via Goal.

'He hates it when he loses. That's the bottom line. Character-wise, the kid is a killer. That's what players who always want to win look like.'

Manchester United moved for Sabitzer after confirmation of Christian Eriksen's ankle injury. Sabitzer, who has joined on loan from Bayern Munich, has been described as a winner. Sabitzer left the German champions in search of first team action after being frozen out

Sabitzer says he made a 'quick and important decision' to join Erik ten Hag's side and insists the move is 'right' for him.

'Sometimes in life you have to make quick and important decisions,' Sabitzer told the club after his move.

'From the moment I heard about this opportunity I knew it was right for me. I am a competitive player; I want to win and help the club achieve its aims this season.

'I feel that I am at my peak as a player, and that I can contribute a lot of experience and energy to the squad.

'I am excited to start with my new team-mates and manager and to show my qualities to Manchester United fans.'

Code:
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-11702617/Former-Man-United-coach-Rene-Meulensteen-claims-Marcel-Sabitzer-clever-signing.html