View Single Post
Old 04-04-2018, 09:23 AM   #3
zudomiriku

Thanked 1,785 Times in 921 Posts
Mentioned: 274 Post(s)
zudomiriku has a reputation beyond reputezudomiriku has a reputation beyond reputezudomiriku has a reputation beyond reputezudomiriku has a reputation beyond reputezudomiriku has a reputation beyond reputezudomiriku has a reputation beyond reputezudomiriku has a reputation beyond reputezudomiriku has a reputation beyond reputezudomiriku has a reputation beyond reputezudomiriku has a reputation beyond reputezudomiriku has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: [EPL] Manchester City vs Manchester United

Martin Atkinson to referee Manchester derby for second year running as Manchester City look to clinch Premier League title

* Martin Atkinson will take charge of his fourth Manchester derby on Saturday
* Manchester City can clinch the Premier League title with victory over their rivals
* Atkinson refereed last season's goalless draw at the Etihad Stadium
* He also sent off Marouane Fellaini for a headbutt on City striker Sergio Aguero

Martin Atkinson will take charge of the Manchester derby at the Etihad Stadium for the second year in a row.

It promises to be a momentous occasion with Manchester City able to clinch the Premier League title on Saturday evening if they beat neighbours United on home soil.

Atkinson sent off Manchester United's Marouane Fellaini for a headbutt on Sergio Aguero towards the end of last season's goalless draw at the Etihad.

Martin Atkinson will be in charge of Manchester City's derby clash with Manchester United. Atkinson shows Marouane Fellaini a red card in last season's goalless draw at City

Jose Mourinho disputed the decision although he was more upset with Aguero than the 47-year-old Yorkshire referee.

'I didn't watch but probably I can guess it's a bit of a red card and that it's a bit of a very experienced, smart Argentinian player,' said Mourinho, who was also unhappy that the officials did not clamp down harder on City's attempts to keep Marcus Rashford quiet.

'Marouane says it was a red card because he is Marouane. Martin Atkinson told me in his opinion it was a red card but I saw Aguero in the tunnel - no broken nose, no broken head, his face is as nice as always.

'So, I am not so sure. I think if Sergio doesn't go to the floor, for sure it is not a red card. But if Marouane gave him the chance to do that, I don't know.'

Prior to that game, United won all three Manchester derbies in which Atkinson had been in charge with late goals - the dramatic 4-3 victory at Old Trafford in September 2009 thanks to Michael Owen's 96th-minute strike, a 1-0 win at the Etihad in April 2010 when Paul Scholes scored in the 90th minute, and a 3-2 away win in December 2012 when Robin van Persie snatched another later decider.

Code:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-5573729/Martin-Atkinson-officiate-Man-City-vs-Man-Utd-clash-second-year-row.html