View Single Post
Old 16-06-2009, 08:42 PM   #2
rondwisan

Thanked 4,736 Times in 2,701 Posts
Mentioned: 567 Post(s)
rondwisan has a reputation beyond reputerondwisan has a reputation beyond reputerondwisan has a reputation beyond reputerondwisan has a reputation beyond reputerondwisan has a reputation beyond reputerondwisan has a reputation beyond reputerondwisan has a reputation beyond reputerondwisan has a reputation beyond reputerondwisan has a reputation beyond reputerondwisan has a reputation beyond reputerondwisan has a reputation beyond repute
Visit rondwisan's Facebook Visit rondwisan's Twitter

29/11/2008 01:06 - ManUtd.com, Nick Coppack
Status quo suits Rio

Rio Ferdinand has refuted suggestions that a resurgent Manchester City would be good for the North-West.

It's been 32 years since the Blues last lifted a major trophy (City beat Newcastle United 2-1 in the 1976 League Cup final) but new owners and big-money signings have injected a wave of optimism into the blue half of Manchester.

Of course, City and United have enjoyed simultaneous success in the past, most notably in 1968 when the Blues won the league and the Reds the European Cup. But it's not a scenario Ferdinand is keen to see repeated.

When asked at a recent Nike Inner Circle event if Manchester would benefit from a second successful side, the England defender’s response was swift and succinct.

“No,” he said. “I want United to win everything. I don’t care about what happens at City.

“Okay, if they start improving and doing well then good luck to them, but as long as they’re not above us in the league I’m happy.”

Ferdinand has played in 11 Manchester derbies since arriving at Old Trafford and can’t wait for kick-off on Sunday.

“The derby’s always a massive game and the fans are right up for it, just like the players. Supporters come up to you in the days leading up to the match and wish you good luck.

“It’s a great fixture and obviously expectations at City are a lot higher these days, so I’m sure it will make for a good game.”

The Blues won both encounters last season – 1-0 at Eastlands, 2-1 at Old Trafford – but Rio’s confident United can turn those results around this term, especially with the help of the Reds’ vocal travelling fans.

“Our away fans are unbelievable,” he said. “It’s easily the best travelling support in England. I was in the stands at Anfield [in 2006] and it was the maddest experience I’ve ever had. It was brilliant and long may our fanatical away support continue.”

Quote:
Glory, glory Man United

City's last major honour: 1976

United's success since 1976:

Football League (x10)
FA Cup (x8)
League Cup (x2)
Community Shield (x10*)
European Cup (x2)
Cup Winners' Cup (x1)
Super Cup (x1)
Intercontinental Club Cup (x1)

* Includes two instances where the trophy was shared.
original: rondwisan
rondwisan is offline   Reply With Quote