View Single Post
Old 27-11-2019, 08:13 AM   #3
zudomiriku

Thanked 1,785 Times in 921 Posts
Mentioned: 274 Post(s)
zudomiriku has a reputation beyond reputezudomiriku has a reputation beyond reputezudomiriku has a reputation beyond reputezudomiriku has a reputation beyond reputezudomiriku has a reputation beyond reputezudomiriku has a reputation beyond reputezudomiriku has a reputation beyond reputezudomiriku has a reputation beyond reputezudomiriku has a reputation beyond reputezudomiriku has a reputation beyond reputezudomiriku has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: [UEL] Astana vs Manchester United

Manchester United include 19-year-old Max Taylor in their Europa League squad for trip to Astana… just NINE MONTHS after he started chemotherapy treatment for cancer

* Max Taylor has returned to the Manchester United squad after battling cancer
* He was diagnosed with the illness in February before undergoing chemotherapy
* Last month the defender made an emotional return to the club's U23 side
* Now he is set to travel with the first team for their Europa League tie with Astana

Max Taylor will travel with the Manchester United first team for the Europa League tie with Astana - just nine months after starting chemotherapy for cancer.

The youngster was diagnosed with the disease in February, and after responding well to treatment he returned to training in September, featuring for the club's Under-23 side the following month in a 4-1 win over Swansea.

And with United having already qualified for the Europa League knockouts, manager Ole Gunnar Solskjaer is taking a flock of youngsters with him to Kazakhstan, and has decided to give Taylor his opportunity.

Most of United's first team have been left at home for the 3,000 mile trip to Astana, presenting a great opportunity for the club's young blood to show their quality, with the club's head of first team development Nicky Butt joining Solskjaer for the game.

Taylor, who changed his surname from Dunne, has already showed his talents after joining the club in 2014 following a successful trial - and figures at the club will likely be impressed with his attitude and determination after coming through such a dark period to carry on his progress as a footballer.

Taylor, who still makes regular visits to help other patients on the teenager wing at Manchester's Christie hospital, said: 'The position I was in this time last year, I was in my first few weeks where I had chemotherapy, I wouldn't have thought, a year on, I'd be travelling with the first team.

'It doesn't matter what the environment is like, just being out there is massive. It's been a dream since I can remember ever kicking a ball - being a Manchester United first-team player,' Taylor told United's website.

'Obviously, Ole has given quite a few of us the opportunity to travel with the team and, hopefully, a few of us will get a game.'

Max Taylor came on as a substitute for Man United's Under-23 side against Swansea last month. The youngster recovers in hospital earlier this year after receiving chemotherapy treatment

The Manchester-born star made 17 appearances for United's Under-18 side in 2016-17, forming part of the team that won the Under-18 Premier League North trophy.

He later stepped up to the Under-23 squad in 2018-19 before his diagnosis.

Manchester United have a long history of breeding youngsters into their first team, with Busby's Babes and Fergie's Flegdlings making an impact - now Solskjaer's Saplings have the chance to be part of a new era at Old Trafford.

This season the Norwegian boss has included Mason Greenwood in the first team after selling Romelu Lukaku to Inter Milan, and the 18-year-old has featured 18 times, scoring four.

Young stars joining Taylor in Kazakhstan include 17-year-old centre half Teden Mengi, 18-year-old midfielder James Garner, winger Tahith Chong, attacking midfielder Angel Gomes and striker Greenwood.

Quote:
SOLSKJAER SAPLINGS HEADING TO ASTANA

Goalkeeper

Matej Kovar, 19

Defenders

Max Taylor, 19, Teden Mengi, 17, DiShon Bernard, 19, Ethan Laird, 18

Midfielders

Ethan Galbraith, 18, Arnau Puigmal, 18, Dylan Levitt 19. James Garner, 18, Largie Ramazani, 18, Tahith Chong, 19, Angel Gomes, 19

Forwards

D’Mani Bughail-Mellor, 19, Mason Greenwood, 18
Code:
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-7727707/Man-United-include-Max-Taylor-Europa-League-squad-just-NINE-MONTHS-starting-chemotherapy.html