Thread: Axel Tuanzebe
View Single Post
Old 03-11-2015, 10:41 AM   #5
Andi Istiabudi
manager

Thanked 2,334 Times in 1,748 Posts
Mentioned: 146 Post(s)
Andi Istiabudi is a splendid one to beholdAndi Istiabudi is a splendid one to beholdAndi Istiabudi is a splendid one to beholdAndi Istiabudi is a splendid one to beholdAndi Istiabudi is a splendid one to beholdAndi Istiabudi is a splendid one to beholdAndi Istiabudi is a splendid one to beholdAndi Istiabudi is a splendid one to behold

Default Re: Axel Tuanzebe

Five reasons why Axel Tuanzebe is Manchester United’s next breakthrough star

Manchester United may have spent around £320million since Sir Alex Ferguson retired in 2013 but nothing quite captures the imagination at Old Trafford like a youngster coming through the ranks to play at the Theatre of Dreams.

The Red Devils have long boasted about the quality of their academy but it’s tradition of giving youngsters a chance has come under increasing risk since Ferguson stood down after 27 years in his role at the club.

Astonishingly, Manchester United have had at least one youth product in their matchday squad since October 1937.

The latest to be promoted is defender Axel Tuanzebe, who was part of Louis van Gaal’s squad for the side’s draw with Crystal Palace this weekend.

But what do we know about the man set to become the 244th youth player to come through the ranks at Old Trafford and why does he stand such a good chance of making the grade?

1. He’s Mancunian

United have continued to bring academy products through the ranks in recent years but fewer and fewer have been from Manchester.

While the Old Trafford crowd have beamed with pride watching products like Adnan Januzaj and the Da Silva brothers strut out onto the turf in the last few years, no player’s received as much goodwill as Longsight-born Danny Welbeck.

Reds love seeing one of their own come through the ranks and, despite being born in the Democratic Republic of Congo, Tuanzebe was raised in Rochdale – a stone’s throw from Old Trafford.

Tuanzebe’s been with the Red Devils since the age of 8 and, rightly or wrongly, he’ll be given more time by the fans to come good.

2. He’s followed in the footsteps of legends

The reality of being in an academy at a top club means that only the best are likely to stand even a chance of making their first-team bows.

At United, the Jimmy Murphy young player of the year award is handed out to the best academy product from the previous season.

At 17, Tuanzebe was awarded the prize at the end of the 2014/2015 campaign and in doing so, followed in the footsteps of former legends Ryan Giggs, Paul Scholes and Phil Neville who had also won the award.

And you can see why he won it judging from the highlights of his award-winning season…

3. He fits into Louis van Gaal’s philosophy

While some have struggled to adapt to Van Gaal’s famous ‘philosophy’, there have been some notable improvers under his tutelage.

The likes of Chris Smalling, Ashley Young and Juan Mata have found their feet under the Dutchman and Tuanzebe’s greatest strengths suggest he’d be a perfect fit.

Despite being just 17, Tuanzebe is extremely comfortable with bringing the ball out of defence and he has the presence, as well as the composure, to push on into midfield positions.

Daley Blind’s recent first-team outings owe to the fact that United lack a ‘ball-playing’ centre-back and, though he may not be ready yet, Tuanzebe’s shown he has the potential to develop into that defender.

4. He’s been compared to Rio Ferdinand

Now there’s a ‘ball-playing’ defender to be compared with.

Everyone knows that next to the bruising centre-back that will put his head where most wouldn’t put their boot, there needs to be the composed defensive partner.

And, according to MUTV commentator David Stowell, United may have just found their man.

‘If you compare his style of play to great defenders of United’s past like Vidic and Ferdinand, then he’s more in the ilk of Ferdinand,’ Stowell told Manutd.com.

‘He’s a ball-playing centre-half as opposed to a tackler. There were many times over the course of the season where Axel won the ball without going to ground.

‘He’s tall, quick and has the ability to stop the opposition in a variety of different ways.’

5. He’s captain material

The 17-year-old captained United’s U18s last season and, having been unfazed by leading team-mates that were older than he was, he’s revealed that his long-term goal is to captain the Red Devils’ first-team.

‘I respected them and they respected me,’ said Tuanzebe.

‘It developed me as a person and now I feel more of a leader.

‘I believe one day, I can be a leader of this club. It would be my dream’

Source : http://metro.co.uk
Andi Istiabudi is offline   Reply With Quote