View Single Post
Old 19-03-2021, 10:24 AM   #318
zudomiriku

Thanked 1,785 Times in 921 Posts
Mentioned: 274 Post(s)
zudomiriku has a reputation beyond reputezudomiriku has a reputation beyond reputezudomiriku has a reputation beyond reputezudomiriku has a reputation beyond reputezudomiriku has a reputation beyond reputezudomiriku has a reputation beyond reputezudomiriku has a reputation beyond reputezudomiriku has a reputation beyond reputezudomiriku has a reputation beyond reputezudomiriku has a reputation beyond reputezudomiriku has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Ole Gunnar Solskjaer ~ 20Legend

Ole Gunnar Solskjaer reveals he felt like he was 'on loan' at Manchester United when he first took the job on an interim basis and he DIDN'T expect to be in charge long-term - before two BIG changes for Tottenham win laid the foundations for success

* Ole Gunnar Solskjaer has written a chapter of a new book on management
* He describes how taking over United on an interim basis was like being 'on loan'
* Solskjaer says two big changes before the win over Tottenham sparked change
* It was a change in system - and the decision to bring back matchday suits

Ole Gunnar Solskjaer has revealed he did not expect to be handed the Manchester United reins full time.

United called on their former striker in the aftermath of Jose Mourinho's sacking in 2018, striking an agreement with Solskjaer's employers Molde for him to take temporary charge.

The 48-year-old has written a chapter of a new book, co-authored by Dundee United boss Micky Mellon, in which he details his first weeks in charge at Old Trafford.

Ole Gunnar Solskjaer has opened up about his time in charge of Manchester United for a book. Solskjaer, pictured with his backroom team shortly after taking the job on an interim basis

'We came in just before Christmas,' Solskjaer wrote.

'I suppose it was like coming in on loan... it wasn't like: "Come in and change the club and put your stamp on it".

'It was come in, you know the club, you know the expectations, make them smile, play attacking football and give youth a chance.'

Mellon's book - The First 100 Days: Lessons In Leadership From The Football Bosses – launches next Thursday, with the authors’ proceeds donated to the Motor Neurone Disease Association.

David Moyes, Sam Allardyce and Sean Dyche are among the current managers to have penned chapters.

Solskjaer oversaw a drastic improvement in results at United, a run illuminated by the dramatic Champions League comeback at Paris Saint-Germain. He was subsequently appointed Mourinho's permanent successor.

Solskjaer identifies the win over Spurs in January 2019 as a big turning point for United

'[On day one] we talked about high expectations, having some fun and even surprising a few people,' Solskjaer said.

'Later that day I remember walking about and hearing people saying: "Finally, we're talking about being Manchester United again." That night was the staff do. I went along, made a bit of speech and had a bit of a dance!

'Before our first game at Cardiff, I got a text from the manager [Sir Alex Ferguson] who said, "pick your team and sleep well". I sent him the players I was picking and I just got a message back: "That'll do the job".'

Solskjaer believes he made significant progress during a mid-winter break in Dubai four weeks into the job – and tactical alterations, starting with the 1-0 victory over Tottenham, laid the foundations for Champions League qualification that year.

'We made two big changes,' he added.

'The first one was our system for the game against Tottenham. The second big thing was to bring back the [pre-match] suits: those Tottenham players looked at them and thought, "I want to play for Manchester United".'

Code:
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-9377183/Solskjaer-reveals-felt-like-loan-Manchester-United-took-job.html