View Single Post
Old 09-02-2018, 08:11 AM   #26
Riskur
Divisi IT

Thanked 1,007 Times in 435 Posts
Mentioned: 154 Post(s)
Riskur has a reputation beyond reputeRiskur has a reputation beyond reputeRiskur has a reputation beyond reputeRiskur has a reputation beyond reputeRiskur has a reputation beyond reputeRiskur has a reputation beyond reputeRiskur has a reputation beyond reputeRiskur has a reputation beyond reputeRiskur has a reputation beyond reputeRiskur has a reputation beyond reputeRiskur has a reputation beyond repute
Visit Riskur's Facebook Visit Riskur's Twitter
Default Re: Man United U-18 Matches 2017/18

DUNNE: OUR BELGRADE TRIP WAS SO IMPORTANT

Manchester United Under-19s defender Max Dunne believes this week's trip to Belgrade to face FK Brodarac in the UEFA Youth League was an enriching experience for the entire squad.

Nicky Butt’s young players secured a place in Friday’s round-of-16 draw with a 2-0 triumph against physical opponents on an artificial pitch but they will have learned much off the field as well. The three-day trip included visits to the venues where the Busby Babes played their final game [Partizan Stadium] and had their last meal together [Hotel Majestic] before the tragic Munich Air Disaster 60 years ago.

With several VIP guests helping to bring knowledge and understanding of the terrible accident, it was certainly an educational exercise for the Academy prospects.

“It was definitely an experience for me,” Dunne told ManUtd.com. “I knew parts of the story and what went on but a few of the players didn’t know as much and, coming away, you learn a lot more.

“When I saw it first hand, like on the first night when we saw pictures of the players who were in the same room as us, it took me aback a bit. It’s a crazy coincidence that 60 years to the very day, we happened to be in Belgrade for a Youth League match.

“I think it was very important for the lads because obviously I’m lucky coming from Manchester, and a Manchester United family, so I knew about it. Some knew about it due to the size of the club but not to that extent. We all took something from the trip and all learned something.”

The Reds could face familiar opposition in the next round of the European competition with four of the seven options in the draw being English clubs [Chelsea, Liverpool, Manchester City and Tottenham]. Barcelona, Bayern Munich and Porto also lie in wait.

“It was a physical test against Brodarac and a case of going out there with a competitive attitude for a physical challenge," said Dunne, reflecting on how his team reached the last 16.

"I think the lads did well, especially in those conditions as it’s not often we play on astroturf.”

The centre-back signed a first professional contract with the club recently and is back to fitness after suffering an ankle-ligament injury.

“Obviously, being from Manchester and supporting United, it’s a boyhood dream to turn professional with the club,” Dunne said. "Nicky Butt has been telling me how I've been doing and what I need to improve.

"I signed the contract just after I turned 17 but I got told about it before my birthday so it was like a special present. My family were really happy, as was I."