View Single Post
Old 12-09-2017, 01:40 PM   #8
zudomiriku

Thanked 1,785 Times in 921 Posts
Mentioned: 274 Post(s)
zudomiriku has a reputation beyond reputezudomiriku has a reputation beyond reputezudomiriku has a reputation beyond reputezudomiriku has a reputation beyond reputezudomiriku has a reputation beyond reputezudomiriku has a reputation beyond reputezudomiriku has a reputation beyond reputezudomiriku has a reputation beyond reputezudomiriku has a reputation beyond reputezudomiriku has a reputation beyond reputezudomiriku has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: [UCL] Manchester United vs FC Basel

Manchester United boss Jose Mourinho confirms David de Gea will start against Basle after abandoning European rotation policy as Spaniard sets sights on becoming world's best

* Manchester United begin their Champions League campaign against Basle
* United welcome he Swiss side on Tuesday and David de Gea gets the nod in goal
* Jose Mourinho rotated with Sergio Romero last year but has abandoned that ploy
* The Spaniard revealed he is focused on becoming the best keeper in the world

Jose Mourinho has abandoned his policy of rotating in Europe by confirming David de Gea will get the nod against Basle as the Spaniard sets his sights set on becoming the best in the world.

Mourinho favoured Sergio Romero in the Europa League last season, starting 12 of their 15 games as United battled on both foreign and domestic fronts during a hectic campaign.

But the Portuguese has decided he will not rotate between his two goalkeepers in Europe this term, insisting he doesn't like to earmark certain players for certain competitions.

Asked whether De Gea and Romero would share the duties in the Champions League, the United boss replied: 'No, I go match by match.

'I don't like that clear separation of you play this competition, I play this competition. David is really well and really confident and I go with David.'

And the Spain international has reason to be confident, conceding only two goals in United's opening four games of the Premier League season.

De Gea's side burst out of the blocks at the start of their domestic campaign, topping the Premier League table.

David de Gea will start Manchester United's Champions League clash with Basle on Tuesday. Boss Jose Mourinho confirmed he has abandoned his European policy of rotation in goal. Mourinho said De Gea is confident and will start the match — not Sergio Romero

But as United prepare to welcome Basle to Old Trafford on Tuesday evening, the keeper revealed he has personal goals he also wants to strive for.

'I train really hard to be the best keeper in the world,' De Gea said. 'I don't know who is at the moment, but this is what I want — to be the best.

'The Spanish teams are in a good moment. But Manchester United is one of the best teams in the world.

'They (Basle) are a strong team. They are playing at Old Trafford and will be extra motivated. It's going to be a tough game.'

But De Gea has stated his desire to be the best in the world and is hungry to get out and play. He revealed his anguish at having to watch the Champions League as a spectator last year

United enter the Champions League this season as a result of winning the Europa League last term.

And De Gea revealed his anguish at having to watch Europe's premier competition as a spectator, but is adamant his team return to top echelon with an insatiable appetite to win.

'It was hard to watch the Champions League games on the TV,' the Spaniard added. 'For a club like Manchester United not to be in those games is hard.

'But now we are back, we are really motivated to win Champions League games, to bring the Champions League games to Old Trafford, to the fans, and we need to play our best football to win those games.'

Code:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-4873166/Man-Utd-boss-Mourinho-confirms-Gea-start-Basle-tie.html