View Single Post
Old 05-11-2020, 09:51 AM   #4
zudomiriku

Thanked 1,785 Times in 921 Posts
Mentioned: 274 Post(s)
zudomiriku has a reputation beyond reputezudomiriku has a reputation beyond reputezudomiriku has a reputation beyond reputezudomiriku has a reputation beyond reputezudomiriku has a reputation beyond reputezudomiriku has a reputation beyond reputezudomiriku has a reputation beyond reputezudomiriku has a reputation beyond reputezudomiriku has a reputation beyond reputezudomiriku has a reputation beyond reputezudomiriku has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: [UCL] Istanbul Basaksehir vs Manchester United

Ole Gunnar Solskjaer takes responsibility for 'unforgivable' defending leading to Demba Ba's incredible breakaway goal from Manchester United corner against Istanbul Basaksehir after they 'forgot duties' at the back

* Ole Gunnar Solskjaer took responsibility for Manchester United's defending
* United defended woefully as Demba Ba put Istanbul Basaksehir in the lead
* Solskjaer admitted that there was a lack of communication in United's defence

Ole Gunnar Solskjaer took responsibility for Manchester United’s ‘unforgiveable’ defending after they suffered a shocking Champions League defeat in Istanbul on Wednesday night.

United’s performance was as ugly as their black and white change kit as they stank out the Fatih Terim Stadium and went down 2-1 to Basaksehir.

The Turks’ first goal was comical as United left Demba Ba unmarked on the halfway line when they took a short corner, and the veteran striker ended up racing clear to score.

‘We forgot about the man up top, that is unforgiveable,’ admitted Solskjaer.

‘Obviously it’s not a goal you normally concede. We’ve not done our duties there, that’s my responsibility.

‘Playing a short corner and everyone forgets to get back with the players they’re playing against, and Demba Ba snuck in behind us.

‘It’s a lack of communication and good decisions. You don’t really see those goals at this level.’

Solskjaer refused to comment when he was asked whether he now fears for his job

It was Basaksehir’s first ever goal in the Champions League group stage, and Edin Visca’s strike secured their first win despite Anthony Martial pulling one back.

United suffered a second defeat in four days following Arsenal’s win at Old Trafford last weekend, and Solskjaer is under mounting pressure going into the clash with Everton at Goodison Park on Saturday lunchtime.

He added: ‘It has set us back a lot, of course it has. You get a reality check every time you play a football game.

‘You don’t just turn up and get three points in the Champions League. We were not good enough, that’s it.

‘It’s not easy to be positive now when we’ve lost the way we did.

‘The last two results have been a punch in our stomach and the only way I know of to respond – and I hope the players as well – is to get your act together for Everton.

‘That’s going to be tough and difficult, but I’m glad we’ve got a game on Saturday.’

Asked if he fears for his job, the United manager replied: ‘I decline to comment on such a thing.

‘Of course, it’s early on. You've got to stay strong. I’m employed by the club to do a job and I do that to the best of my ability with our staff.’

Basaksehir’s opening goal was the main talking point, and former United players Paul Scholes and Robin van Persie pulled no punches in their analysis on BT Sport.

‘It’s like Under-10s football,’ said Scholes. ‘Surely you always have someone back on the halfway line.

‘It’s laughable really what has happened. They’ve got nobody within 20 yards of the centre-forward.

‘You can understand if it’s last minute, but it’s the first 10 minutes. It’s embarrassing.’

Van Persie added: ‘This is what you learn when you’re 12. It’s a comical mistake.

‘This is so basic. You will do you set-pieces, offensively and defensively, and coaches will tell everyone where to stand.

‘You would expect more was coming after the goal just before half-time from Man United, but they brought little to the table in the second half. Basaksehir was the better side.’

Code:
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-8915213/Ole-Gunnar-Solskjaer-takes-responsibility-unforgivable-defending-leading-Demba-Bas-goal.html