View Single Post
Old 12-03-2016, 09:22 AM   #10
penk22_
Divisi IT

Thanked 1,066 Times in 595 Posts
Mentioned: 558 Post(s)
penk22_ has a reputation beyond reputepenk22_ has a reputation beyond reputepenk22_ has a reputation beyond reputepenk22_ has a reputation beyond reputepenk22_ has a reputation beyond reputepenk22_ has a reputation beyond reputepenk22_ has a reputation beyond reputepenk22_ has a reputation beyond reputepenk22_ has a reputation beyond reputepenk22_ has a reputation beyond reputepenk22_ has a reputation beyond repute
Visit penk22_'s Facebook Visit penk22_'s Twitter
Default Re: [FA Cup] Manchester United vs West Ham United

UNITED LEGENDS PREVIEW WEST HAM FA CUP TIE

Ahead of Sunday's Emirates FA Cup tie with West Ham at Old Trafford, we spoke to three Manchester United legends about the game.

Andy Cole, Denis Irwin and Bryan Robson have eight winners' medals between them in the competition following their successful stays at United and naturally they are rooting for a home win this weekend.

ANDY COLE

West Ham are in fine form but are you encouraged by our home record this season?
At this time of the season, every game is a big game. West Ham have done extremely well under Slaven Bilic and have some really good players. They're really attack minded and, to be fair, I've enjoyed watching them. As you touched upon, our home record has been good but, very good home record or not, it makes no difference, especially with the way West Ham have gone about their business this season. We've found it tougher to score goals as well but it should be an entertaining game.

Is it time the club had another trip to Wembley?
It would be nice. We've not been there in the FA Cup final for a long time. I remember, growing up as a kid, I always wanted to play in an FA Cup final and be involved in the build-up to a special day, leaving the hotel and putting the suits on. It would be nice to get to Wembley again.

Some people feel the FA Cup has lost some of its prestige. What's your view?
It has been devalued over the years, and there's been recent talk about cutting replays, but has it been devalued among the fans? I don't think so. In the FA Cup, the small clubs still want to draw a big club and get a replay to obtain revenue. And as I said, growing up as a kid, there was great romance watching the FA Cup final.

The final is at the end of the season again so it could give everybody a real lift going into the summer...
It could. It always used to be the last game of the season and for us that sometimes meant trying to do the Double going into the FA Cup final after winning the league. For me, personally, when I talk about my own experience in it, the FA Cup is a wonderful competition.

DENIS IRWIN

How crucial is it that United make it through to the last four of the FA Cup?
We've got an opportunity, we're in the quarter-finals and can make an appearance at Wembley, but it won't be easy. We've only got three days to recover from the Liverpool game while West Ham will have had a full week. It gives them a slight advantage but the home draw is a big thing for us. I know West Ham have played really well away from home this season but I hope we can take our chance because it's very, very important. It really is.

How difficult will West Ham be as opponents at Old Trafford?
I always say in cup matches, particularly when I played, it doesn't matter who you play as long as you get home advantage and we have got a good record at Old Trafford. But West Ham have done fantastically well this season. They're just above us in the league with an unbelievable away record as well and have a lot going for them going forward. Dimitri Payet has been a huge success this year and Diafra Sakho and Michail Antonio too so we have to defend well, first and foremost. The semi-final is there as a carrot and, hopefully, being at home will be a big factor and we can take full advantage of that.

Will the fans have a part to play in helping to make Old Trafford a fortress on Sunday?
Well, West Ham will be bringing thousands of fans up here and they will be looking forward to it. They're in a good run of form, having beaten Everton from being 2-0 down as well, albeit Everton had a man sent off. I hope it doesn't end up like the last FA Cup game I played against West Ham, in 2001 I think, when Paolo Di Canio scored and they beat us 1-0. I hope it doesn't turn out like that as it's a great tournament to be involved in and this has the makings of a great game.

BRYAN ROBSON

The FA Cup is important to a lot of United supporters and also to you due to your history in the competition...
I think it's really important, the West Ham game, if we can get a good result. It's a long time since we had a good run in the FA Cup and our players haven't won it - even Wayne [Rooney] hasn't. I's a great competition to win. It would be nice to win something this season so it's very important we get through. We're in the quarter-finals, with a home draw and it gives us a great chance.

Do you think the fans may feel success in the competition is perhaps overdue?
I think they do. From the 1980s, well it started in the 1970s, we kept having really good runs in the FA Cup. Obviously, under Sir Alex [Ferguson], we had a great run as well. It's a long time overdue now, a bit of success in the FA Cup.

West Ham are above us in the league so will they be tough to get past?
They're a good team and Slaven Bilic has done a great job since he went in at West Ham. They play good football and have very good players, especially the forwards up the park who are dangerous and can score goals. It won't be an easy game. We were beaten by Arsenal in the quarter-finals at home last year and can't slip up like that again. With us having the home draw, we need to advance to the semi-finals.

What do you feel is the key to winning the game from the United perspective?
How we can dominate the midfield play. If we can do that, we'll have a good foothold in the game and be able to go forward. The midfield area is really important for us.

HTML Code:
http://www.manutd.com/en/News-And-Features/Features/2016/Mar/manchester-united-legends-andy-cole-denis-irwin-bryan-robson-preview-west-ham-fa-cup-tie.aspx