View Single Post
Old 14-04-2010, 01:33 PM   #17
hendiplast
captain

Thanked 1,534 Times in 978 Posts
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
hendiplast is a splendid one to beholdhendiplast is a splendid one to beholdhendiplast is a splendid one to beholdhendiplast is a splendid one to beholdhendiplast is a splendid one to beholdhendiplast is a splendid one to beholdhendiplast is a splendid one to beholdhendiplast is a splendid one to beholdhendiplast is a splendid one to behold

Default Re: Ole Gunnar Solksjaer

Don't give up - Solskjaer

Ole Solskjaer insists United's attacking firepower is still red hot - both short term and looking further into the future.

The Reds' 1999 European Cup winning goal hero will link up with two more of the famous Treble-winning front quartet in United's Big Red Family Day Out at Old Trafford on May 1. Solskjaer will be on duty for an All-Star United line-up with his '99 goal buddies Dwight Yorke and Andrew Cole.

More than a decade ago that trio, with Teddy Sheringham, formed the innovative four-strong senior strike-force that helped lay the ground for the historic all-conquering treble success.

But this term injuries have ravaged Sir Alex Ferguson's attacking department.

The ultimate blow came with Wayne Rooney's ill-timed ankle injury that has put a spanner in United's European and Premier League double bid.

Saturday's lunchtime derby against City at Eastlands looks set to be the last chance saloon for the Reds in the title battle.

But Solskjaer says United must get their chins up.

"We cannot afford for it all to be doom and gloom. We are still in with a shout," says the Norwegian who is now United's reserve team manager.

"A derby match against City is the perfect platform for the boys to bounce back. Playing your local rivals is not a time for feeling sorry for yourselves and I don't think we will be.

"There is no doubt Chelsea are in the box seat but you have to be in there in case of slip ups.

"I can only recall one title race we won in 2001 when it was all very comfortable. The tradition is to make it hard for ourselves but while you are fighting it is not cut and dried."

City and Chelsea have been the in-form Premier League goalscorers in Spring.

But Solskjaer says the quality is still at Old Trafford.

"Of course the quality is there," Ole told M.E.N. Sport.

Excuses

"The problem has been injuries. I don't want to make excuses but it has hit us hard in recent months up front.

"The great thing about 1999 was that apart from Teddy Sheringham suffering a few injuries in that season, the manager had myself, Dwight and Andy to call on for virtually the full campaign. It makes a difference."

Sir Alex Ferguson's young back-up attack has also been ravaged by injuries.

Italian 19-year-old Federico Macheda has only just returned after a four-month spell out with a groin injury.

Mancunian Danny Welbeck was forced to return from a educating loan spell at Preston when the 19-year-old suffered a knee injury.

Mame Biram Diouf, has also succumbed to a groin problem.

"It has been disappointing they've all had their injury problems," says Ole. "But they are young and exciting and they have got the chance of a lifetime here at United.

"They have got an opportunity to play for Manchester United for many years to come. I wish I was still in that situation.

"If I was I'd be out working long afternoons and practising my heading and shooting. They are all developing talents.

"To steal a march they have to work hard and they will. Diouf has pace, Macheda is quick, powerful and the most natural finisher and Welbeck is an all-round striker.

"It has been disappointing that their progress has been hampered by injury but, hopefully, next season they will be fit and ready to prove they should be the one challenging."

Fergie has also added the unknown talent of 21-year-old Mexican goalscorer Javier Hernandez to his pool for next term.

"I have never seen him live but the TV clips are impressive," added Solskjaer. "I always think it is very exciting when the club buys someone nobody has really heard of. I am looking forward to seeing him."

NME
hendiplast is offline   Reply With Quote