View Single Post
Old 17-04-2013, 02:11 AM   #26
iamsetia
first team

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
iamsetia is a name known to alliamsetia is a name known to alliamsetia is a name known to alliamsetia is a name known to alliamsetia is a name known to alliamsetia is a name known to alliamsetia is a name known to all
Visit iamsetia's Twitter
Default Re: [EPL] West Ham United vs Manchester United

Sealed with a kiss! Rooney all smiles as Man United head for London and another Premier League title

By PAUL COLLINS
PUBLISHED: 16:05 GMT, 16 April 2013 | UPDATED: 16:40 GMT, 16 April 2013

Wayne Rooney has a spring in his step as his Manchester United team-mates power their way towards another Barclays Premier League title.

Rooney kissed wife Coleen goodbye at Macclesfield on Tuesday afternoon as United took the train to London for Wednesday night's clash with West Ham.

Most of Sir Alex Ferguson's squad were all smiles after Sunday's win at Stoke stretched their lead over Manchester City to 15 points once more.

Sealed with a kiss: Wayne Rooney gives wife Coleen a peck before getting on the train at Macclesfield

Get a room: Midfielder Michael Carrick watches the Rooneys' public display of affection

Happy chappy: Rooney had a grin on his face after Coleen waved him off... and Carrick was having a giggle

Robin van Persie ended a 10-game United goal drought at the Britannia Stadium and jumped into the arms of manager Ferguson to celebrate.

A clearly delighted Ferguson was left spluttering: 'He nearly killed me, he forgets that I'm 71.'

Van Persie's reaction has created a great deal of hilarity in the United dressing room where it has been the chief topic of conversation.

But defender Patrice Evra has no intention of following the Dutchman's example.

'No chance. Never,' said the France full back. 'Maybe I will do it with my team-mates. But not with the gaffer. He is older.

'Imagine I go in too strong against him. He could fall, then he might sack me. I will never do that.'

Evra could barely keep a straight face as he delivered his assessment of Van Persie's reaction.

'Robin has had a lot of stick from us,' said Evra. 'It was nice. I could see a lot of love and emotion.

Nearly there: Rio Ferdinand looked up for a laugh as United power towards the Premier League title

'It is the first time we saw that. Robin can tell you, for two or three days we have been getting at him. It is good to see love like that on the pitch sometimes.'

The banter, even at the expense of such a high-profile personality, underlines the spirit within the United squad presently driving them towards a record 20th league title.

'I always say the atmosphere at this club is great,' said Evra. 'That is a big strength for Manchester United. To be fair, Robin told us he was really emotional. He had not scored for 10 games.

'He just showed the passion and the way he wanted to win. He just said, "Hands up guys, it was an emotional game. I did it, it is OK, we can move on now".'

United have now moved on from Stoke to West Ham, where they play on Wednesday searching for the first three of the seven points still needed to grab the Premier League trophy back from City.

Game faces: Shinji Kagawa and Robin van Persie (right) looked a bit serious as they prepared to head south

Outside their Carrington training complex, most assume the task has already been completed. Even up the road at City the towel has been hurled in.

Ferguson refuses to think like that until the job is finished, though, and evidently none of his players are thinking that way either after their manager urged them to realign their sights after three big defeats by Real Madrid, Chelsea and City in the space of a month.

'The boss is a winner,' Evra said. 'He said before the Stoke game that the season starts now. He has just told us to win the seven games that are left. That shows you the way he wants to win this 20th title. He told us not to think about the title, just think about winning these seven games.

Catch me if you can: Van Persie gave Sir Alex Ferguson a huge hug after scoring against Stoke

'We can still break the (points) record so the challenge for us is to win the seven games we have left.

'It won't be easy but that is the way the boss wants us to play.'
Ferguson has confirmed there are no fresh injury concerns for the West Ham trip, with Ashley Young and Paul Scholes still ruled out by ankle and knee problems respectively.

Ryan Giggs and Tom Cleverley will both hope for a recall to the midfield berth occupied by Wayne Rooney at Stoke and Rafael, Danny Welbeck and Nani are amongst those eager to play some part.

'We have a good, strong squad,' Ferguson told MUTV. 'We took 20 players with us to Stoke and those 20 players will go with us again tomorrow.'

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.