View Single Post
Old 04-09-2020, 09:26 AM   #1712
zudomiriku

Thanked 1,785 Times in 921 Posts
Mentioned: 274 Post(s)
zudomiriku has a reputation beyond reputezudomiriku has a reputation beyond reputezudomiriku has a reputation beyond reputezudomiriku has a reputation beyond reputezudomiriku has a reputation beyond reputezudomiriku has a reputation beyond reputezudomiriku has a reputation beyond reputezudomiriku has a reputation beyond reputezudomiriku has a reputation beyond reputezudomiriku has a reputation beyond reputezudomiriku has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Premier League - News and Rumors

Premier League reject five substitutions proposal for next season as Manchester United, City, Chelsea, Liverpool and Arsenal fail in push for it to be reinstated

* The league voted last week against the permanent implementation of five subs
* A second vote on Thursday confirmed a return to three subs per team per match
* Top clubs such as Man United, Chelsea and Liverpool were in favour of five subs
* Reds boss Jurgen Klopp is concerned three subs will impact player welfare

The Premier League has voted in favour of reinstating the norm of three substitutions per team per match on Thursday, as opposed to the five changes brought in post-lockdown.

The league's last vote fell in favour of traditional rules as 13 clubs voted last week against the additional subs, compared to the seven clubs who voted for.

In the last vote, Manchester United, Manchester City, Chelsea, Arsenal and Premier League champions Liverpool were among those pushing for five subs, but the big clubs were disappointed again today and the 2020-21 season will see the number of substitutions revert back to three.

Those that are opposed to the additional subs claim that the rule will favour the top clubs who have an abundance of talent in reserve.

Newly-promoted West Brom, Leeds and Fulham were, for example, for the three-subs decision in the last round of voting.

Liverpool manager Jurgen Klopp has previously expressed disappointment that teams will only be able to make three subs next season and believes the decision will impact player welfare.

Asked whether he would have been in favour staying with five changes, Klopp replied after Saturday's Community Shield: ‘Yes. I know the discussion will go again that it’s an advantage for the bigger clubs. I don’t discuss it from that point of view. I don’t want to have an advantage in the competition.

Premier League clubs voted to revert to three substitutions per team per game next season. Big clubs such as Liverpool previously voted in favour of keeping the five subs per game rule. Jurgen Klopp is disappointed teams will only be able to make three substitutions next season

‘We have 38 Premier League games in a four-weeks shorter season. That says it all. And all the other competitions will be pretty much the same, as far as I know. That means just that these things would help. But I can imagine that other teams see it differently.

‘I saw it last season as well when we played the last nine games — Manchester City could bring on five players — ooh not bad! But it’s never for having an advantage. It’s all about how can we get through this season. Not: “Oh that’s a little advantage here”.

‘Getting in a good way through the season for the sake of the football players and the performance levels, I think it would make sense. But I don’t make the decisions.’

Code:
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-8695023/Premier-League-reject-five-substitutions-proposal-season.html