View Single Post
Old 25-06-2011, 10:43 PM   #25
Redsbusby

Thanked 3,073 Times in 1,811 Posts
Mentioned: 134 Post(s)
Redsbusby has a reputation beyond reputeRedsbusby has a reputation beyond reputeRedsbusby has a reputation beyond reputeRedsbusby has a reputation beyond reputeRedsbusby has a reputation beyond reputeRedsbusby has a reputation beyond reputeRedsbusby has a reputation beyond reputeRedsbusby has a reputation beyond reputeRedsbusby has a reputation beyond reputeRedsbusby has a reputation beyond reputeRedsbusby has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: [who's he ?] David de Gea

Profil De Gea : orangnya emang punya sikap yg bagus, dari keluarga baik2, sangat profesional, dan hampir memiliki semua yg harus dimiliki seorang bintang... Ngga salah nih, Casillas sendiri yg bilang kalo doi bakal jd penerusnya!!

Spanish star: Spotlight on Manchester United-bound goalkeeper David de Gea

Stuart Mathieson | MEN
June 25, 2011

It's a small municipality between Toledo and Madrid and an extensive search of famous inhabitants draws a blank despite it being populated since the prehistoric age.

But that is about to change. Illescas will soon be on the map.

And that's thanks to United's imminent signing of Atletico Madrid goalkeeper David de Gea.

At the age of 20 he is set to become for the first time in centuries a recognised son of Illescas.

Tall, athletic, a £20m fee, a pop star girlfriend, Edurne, and on the payroll of the most famous club in the world.

On the surface De Gea ticks the boxes when it comes to your archetypal modern day footballer.

But it seems that the modest and media-shy Spaniard breaks the mould.

“He's very educated, there are no big scandals surrounding him, is very much a family guy and doesn't go in for the night life. He's a kind of Fernando Torres type.” a source in Spain declared.

It was a potted biog backed up by his former headmaster at the prestigious Castilla School in the area.

“David was a very, very good student,” Jose Luis Garcia told M.E.N. Sport.

“He came from a very good family background and always had a very positive attitude. He was with us from the age of four to 17.

“Academically he was very good, although not so much in English - he wasn't very good at that!

“But, of course, he was brilliant at all sports. He excelled at basketball and football. He had very big hands so it is no surprise to us he's a goalkeeper.

“His father was a goalkeeper as well in the Third Division in Spain so it is in his genes.

“But, for all his success with Atletico Madrid, David hasn't changed a bit. He has always been a modest lad and very down to earth. He is not big headed at all and I don't think anything will change that either. He's just very normal.

“He is often back in school and always wants to see his old teachers. He brings in autographs and pictures and will always spend some time with the children talking to them about doing well in school and their ambitions.

Proud

“He is such an inspiration to our pupils and we're so proud of him.”

But it hasn't always been a smooth ride to super stardom. In fact, only two years ago the future at Atletico looked a bit grim.

Despite helping Spain to the Under-17 European Championships in 2007 and the final of the Under-17 World Cup in Seoul the same year, the club were ready to let him go out on loan to the Second Division. Atletico's first team was a distant and disappearing hope at the time.

But, out of the blue, with first choice Sergio Asenjo away on international duty, he was promoted to the seniors.

His La Liga debut at home to Real Zaragoza was a bitter-sweet affair. After just 19 minutes he gave away a penalty but proceeded to redeem himself by saving the spot kick.

It was onwards and upwards from that point as his form graph rose while that of Asenjo dipped. He was eventually to become the number one choice of manager Quique Sanchez Flores.

And it was his form in the Europa League campaign of 2009-10 that began to alert a wider audience.

De Gea played eight times in the tournament including the final win against Roy Hodgson's Fulham.

The 'keeper was now being talked about as the new Iker Casillas. The Real Madrid goalkeeper became the Bernabeu's number one as a teenager and was the youngest goalkeeper to appear in a Champions League final in 2000 just four days after his 19th birthday.

Casillas himself is backing United's imminent new recruit to take his place as Spain's numero uno.

“He will soon be fighting for my place. He's a great keeper,” said Casillas.

“We have to take care of him because he is the future. He is 20 years old. He will pension us all off.

“I hope he does great things for his club and the Spanish national team. He will learn a lot from the fact he has started so young. I had it as well.

“The people of Atletico Madrid have to be so proud that such a great keeper has come out of their academy. Everyone has seen what he's been doing and praising his performances. Watching him reminds me a lot of when I started 12 years ago.

“He has a long road in front of him and when he least expects it he will get a call-up to the national team.

“I'm not suddenly discovering De Gea now. Everyone has seen what he is capable of doing. He's a good professional and a great person and that for me is very important."

And with the spotlight expected now to intensify on the homely Spaniard and his WAG how does he expect to cope.

“I don't think kit will be a problem. Edurne will keep singing ballads and I will keep stopping balls. Everyone else can say or do what they like,” said David.

Edurne won't be the only one singing if De Gea, nicknamed Van der Gea by some of his colleagues because of his likeness in style to Edwin, can replace the retired Dutchman and help United avoid the keeper-related woes of the post-Peter Schmeichel era.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

THE ONLY THING WE WANT TO LOSE THIS SEASON IS THE DEBT
Redsbusby is offline   Reply With Quote