View Single Post
Old 30-06-2020, 09:35 AM   #4
zudomiriku

Thanked 1,785 Times in 921 Posts
Mentioned: 274 Post(s)
zudomiriku has a reputation beyond reputezudomiriku has a reputation beyond reputezudomiriku has a reputation beyond reputezudomiriku has a reputation beyond reputezudomiriku has a reputation beyond reputezudomiriku has a reputation beyond reputezudomiriku has a reputation beyond reputezudomiriku has a reputation beyond reputezudomiriku has a reputation beyond reputezudomiriku has a reputation beyond reputezudomiriku has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: United striker under Solskjaer

'If they don't improve we might have to look somewhere else... we're too far away from where we need to be': Ole Gunnar Solskjaer warns his Manchester United strikers they will be replaced if they cannot help deliver major honours

* Ole Gunnar Solskjaer has demanded more from his Manchester United strikers
* Marcus Rashford and Anthony Martial have caught the eye with 19 goals each
* Mason Greenwood has also impressed and Odion Ighalo has filled a squad void
* But Solskjaer knows United will need to be even better to challenge for the title

Ole Gunnar Solskjaer has demanded more from his Manchester United strikers, and warned them: 'If you think we won't look for players to replace you, you're in the wrong place.'

Marcus Rashford and Anthony Martial are enjoying their most prolific seasons at United with 19 goals each, while Mason Greenwood has weighed in with 12 and Odion Ighalo has scored on his first four starts.

But Solskjaer knows United will need to be even better to challenge for the top honours again, and is ready to go into the transfer market to add more firepower to his team.

Ole Gunnar Solskjaer has warned his Manchester United attackers they must improve. Marcus Rashford has impressed this season but Solskjaer needs more from the England ace

Anthony Martial has been playing centre forward but Solskjaer did want to buy Erling Haaland

United are chasing Borussia Dortmund winger Jadon Sancho and Aston Villa midfielder Jack Grealish, but Solskjaer could also sign a new striker after missing out on Erling Haaland in January.

'You need competition for places at Man United,' he said on Monday.

'I've been here myself for so many years as a striker and Teddy Sheringham comes in, Dwight Yorke comes in, Ruud van Nistelrooy comes in, Wayne Rooney comes in.

'If you think you've got a divine right to be playing every game and are doing so well that we're not going to look for players to replace you, you're in the wrong place.

Mason Greenwood has also impressed but it is too soon to expect him to start regularly

'We've always got to look at improving, and if they don't improve we might have to look somewhere else to get better because we have to be better. We're too far away from where we need to be and want to be.

'I've always had faith in the forwards we have at the club - Mason, Marcus and Anthony. They've all taken responsibility at different parts of the season and I'm delighted with all of them.

'I think all three have had a good development this season, but they can be so much better. I'm still waiting to see them blossom because there are parts of their game they need to improve on.

'They know I want the best for them, but they also know I've got to make decisions for the team and the club.'

United go to Brighton on Tuesday night on the back of a 14-game unbeaten run in all competitions looking to keep up their challenge for a top-four finish.

They have lost on their last two visits to the Amex Stadium, and Solskjaer is refusing to be complacent over a run-in that also includes games against Bournemouth, Villa, Southampton, Crystal Palace and West Ham.

'I would never ever say it's an easy game in the Premier League, absolutely no chance,' added the United boss.

'Complacency kicks you somewhere you don't want to get kicked in football.'

Solskjaer admitted that Angel Gomes, United's young player of the year in 2017, looks likely to leave the club as a free agent on Wednesday after failing to agree terms over a new contract.

Code:
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-8472303/Ole-Gunnar-Solskjaer-warns-Manchester-United-attackers-replaced.html