academy

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
dibi will become famous soon enough
Default Re: The Treble ... !!!

from the site of United

26/05/2010 00:01
Eleven years ago...

Quote:
Ole Gunnar Solskjaer recalls 26 May 1999, when he sealed the historic Treble…

Bayern Munich were ahead in the Champions League final for a long time, but there was a feeling throughout the last six months of the Treble season that if we just kept going we’d get something out of every game.

We were lucky to stay in this one, but then Teddy Sheringham scored and we knew we could get another. Straight from the kick-off I made a diagonal run out to our left, and Denis Irwin played a great pass to me. As a substitute, I was fresh and I got to the ball and managed to turn and face up Kuffour. I tried a stepover and he nicked it out for a corner...

I didn’t think about what happened next. I was too focused, playing on instinct. Kuffour was marking me but when the ball came over, he was busy looking at Teddy, so that was my chance to get away and the ball just landed on my toe. My main memory of what followed is everyone rushing on - that and almost being strangled in the celebrations!
Quote:
UEFA Champions League final
26 May 1999, Nou Camp, Barcelona

MANCHESTER UNITED 2
Sheringham 90+1, Solskjaer 90+3

BAYERN MUNICH 1
Basler 6

United: Schmeichel; G. Neville, Johnsen, Stam, Irwin; Giggs, Beckham, Butt, Blomqvist (Sheringham 67); Cole (Solskjaer 81), Yorke. Subs not used: Van Der Gouw, May, P. Neville, Brown, Greening.

"What we did actually meant something. It affected people's lives."
Gary Neville
Code:
http://www.manutd.com/default.sps?pagegid={6DDFCB6E-3471-4E45-9385-F04D05F4A70D}&newsid=6649301
dibi is offline   Reply With Quote