United Indonesia - Manchester United Indonesia Supporters Club
Register
Go Back   United Indonesia - Manchester United Indonesia Supporters Club > INSIDE MANCHESTER UNITED > United Crew > Ex United

Old 12-09-2012, 09:08 PM   #1
rondwisan
udah sebelas yaa :)

Thanked 4,736 Times in 2,701 Posts
Mentioned: 567 Post(s)
rondwisan has a reputation beyond reputerondwisan has a reputation beyond reputerondwisan has a reputation beyond reputerondwisan has a reputation beyond reputerondwisan has a reputation beyond reputerondwisan has a reputation beyond reputerondwisan has a reputation beyond reputerondwisan has a reputation beyond reputerondwisan has a reputation beyond reputerondwisan has a reputation beyond reputerondwisan has a reputation beyond repute
Visit rondwisan's Facebook Visit rondwisan's Twitter
Default [Legend] Noel Cantwell

Noel Cantwell

Former Manchester United and Republic of Ireland captain, Noel Cantwell - who led United to an FA Cup victory in 1963. Noel - who also captained West Ham United and who was manager of Coventry City - left his native Cork in the early 1950s to join West Ham United and made his Republic of Ireland debut in 1953. He moved to Old Trafford in 1960 and remained there until 1967.

"In 1963 we won the Cup and I happened to be captain," Noel says. "It was a great day. Leicester were favourites to win it. But we always played in flashes and we always thought that Wembley would suit us. I think I had only taken over the captaincy early in that season. The turmoil at the club was reflected in how many times the captain changed. But that was a very special day at Wembley."

Joining Manchester United in the aftermath of the Munich crash, Noel Cantwell was selected by manager Matt Busby to lead the Reds to success. Joined by players like Bobby Charlton and George Best, he became - along with Roy Keane and Johnny Carey - one of the legendary Irish captains at Old Trafford and was at one stage tipped to take over from Busby as manager.

"I remember George Best arriving when he was15 and he was a spindly little lad," Noel recalls. "You could see then that he had exceptional balance and he had the ability to beat people. He wasn't strong enough to compete with the bigger boys or the bigger men. But he was an exceptionally skilful player.

"I remember Matt telling me he wanted me to be coach at Old Trafford. I was very excited. But it never materialised. That reason was, I think, that although Matt appreciated me and thought I knew something about the game and that I could lead men, he didn't want to upset the balance of the club."

Noel Cantwell also played for the Republic of Ireland throughout the 1950s and '60s, becoming one of the greatest Irish football captains of all time and narrowly missing out on leading his team to the 1966 World Cup finals. "I've had a very good life and a good, happy family life as well. So, all in all, I'm very happy about my little contribution to football."

“Let’s not underestimate the other teams. They are very good teams and there are a lot of games to play before the end of the season. We’re in a good position. But that means nothing if you don’t win the next game.” - Dimitar Berbatov

Last edited by rondwisan; 12-09-2012 at 09:32 PM..
rondwisan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 09:33 PM   #2
rondwisan

rondwisan has a reputation beyond reputerondwisan has a reputation beyond reputerondwisan has a reputation beyond reputerondwisan has a reputation beyond reputerondwisan has a reputation beyond reputerondwisan has a reputation beyond reputerondwisan has a reputation beyond reputerondwisan has a reputation beyond reputerondwisan has a reputation beyond reputerondwisan has a reputation beyond reputerondwisan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: [Legend] Noel Cantwell

Up for the cup: Manchester United captain Noel Cantwell (left) and Leicester City's Colin Appleton shake hands before the 1963 FA Cup final

“Let’s not underestimate the other teams. They are very good teams and there are a lot of games to play before the end of the season. We’re in a good position. But that means nothing if you don’t win the next game.” - Dimitar Berbatov
Old 12-09-2012, 09:39 PM   #3
rondwisan

Default Re: [Legend] Noel Cantwell

(View-All Members who have read this thread : 10
fey777, fikrirf, jonajoni, MUFC1878, SR 7, Trezz Kiko, VaDLi, wira_ozora