United Indonesia - Manchester United Indonesia Supporters Club
Register
Go Back   United Indonesia - Manchester United Indonesia Supporters Club > INSIDE MANCHESTER UNITED > Fans Talk

Old 30-10-2010, 09:37 PM   #1
gravedigga
academy
-

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
gravedigga is a jewel in the roughgravedigga is a jewel in the roughgravedigga is a jewel in the rough
Default Thoughts of Our Red Army the 5th - with Mef and Gemma

Aye aye captain!
I'm back with our 5th edition of Thoughts of Our Red Army ( or maybe the last? )
This time i did it with Mef and Gemma, great United fans from Manchester.
They sent me many photos to share.
Love them both!

Go!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

gravedigga: Hi Mef! hi Gemma! How's you?

Mef/Gemma:
We're both very well thanks...hope you and all the forum members are well; we were sad to see the news with regards the natural disasters over there.

me: Thank u! We all good and Indonesia will survive. You both have been a United fan for years. Mef since late of 70s ( 30 years ) and Gemma got more into it late 80s ( 20 years ) I always ask this in every "Thoughts of Our Red Army". Can you tell us about your first match at Old Trafford?

Mef:
My first match at Old Trafford was with my cousin against Swansea in 1983. We won 2-1 and one of my favourited at the time, Bryan Robson scored so it was a fantastic first visit.

Gemma:
I remember my first game was when I was taken by my dad to see United V Norwich City and we had seats in the South Stand. I remember walking in; up the few steps to the seat and that moment I first glimpsed the inside of the ground will stay with me forever. My thoughts at the time ''WOW! It's huge!''. It makes me wonder what kids these days think when they walk into Old Trafford for the first time being that it has pretty much doubled in size! I dont think my dad had ever seen me so quiet as I soaked it all in (and I am not sure he's ever seen me so quiet since - certainly not inside the ground anyway!).

I'm pretty sure we won that day; I am sure Brian McClair scored, but being pretty young at the time I can't really remember; which may seem strange but I think I was just totally blown away by the experience itself.

me: On the 4th edition i asked SEA from StretfordEndArising about why he follow United instead of City and he told me that he lived near Old Trafford and his best mate
at school was United fan. Whats yours?

Mef:
It was my cousin that introduced me to United, everyone else in the family and all my mates were Liverpool fans. I got into it initially to look out for him as they used to pick on him for being a red, but I used to love listening to him talking about united.

It was great when we won the 77 FA cup final as we beat Liverpool, this meant we stopped them from winning the treble! I was only quite young then, but I remember it well as it gave me and my cousin serious bragging rights for once!

Gemma:
I'm not all that sure how it came about that I became a red rather than a blue. I know I went to Maine Road more often as a kid when my dad got 'free tickets' through work; but something there obviously never took a hold of me in the same way United had worked it's way deep inside me. No number of visits to the City Players lounge (and there were a few) would ever coax me into that way of life. I think the best way to sum it up is that from the minute I handed my ticket in at the gate at Old Trafford, I was a red! It's just what United does to you!

My dad never really set much of a team on me as such; he used to always say he supported Stalybridge Celtic (don't ask). My granddad (on my mum's side) was a City fan as too are the rest of my mum's side of the family; that makes for interesting times at family parties; I still remember having the worse start ever to a New Year - 1992; being at my grandparents when QPR knock 4 past United is not a very 'Happy New Year'. Thankfully I've had the last laugh over the years. I just hope those times aren't about to change!!

However it came about though, I am glad it did!

me: what a nice story from both of ya. I've done Thoughts of Our Red Army projects with 7 people ( including you both ) and 6 of you are STH. Since when you decide to be a STH?

Mef:
We decided on becoming season ticket holders when it became available to us really as a result of the ground extension. I had always wanted to be one, but this gave us the opportunity to do so.

Gemma:
Over the last 10-12 years, I was given more access to United games. It comes as a result of earning a living I suppose. Before I met Mef, I used to go on my own to the games when I could, usually taking on a ticket from a guy at work when he couldn't go. I think some of my mates thought I was mad making my way to a game on my own to go and stand in the Stretford End (especially my best mate who is unfortunately is a Liverpool fan). Well, this was when I started to feel the buzz of going to the games. Mef and I met and we soon became members and went as often as possible, perhaps never even thinking that one day we would become season ticket holders. Fortunately the quadrants were built and 5 years ago, we got tickets in the North West quadrant.

me: Please tell us about your first STH application. Can we choose our seat? how much money we have to pay for a season?

Mef:
Our first application came about as a result of us being members really and the fact the ground had been extended. We were offered seats in the new quadrants and we jumped at the chance.

Gemma:
I couldn't believe our luck at all, even now, I still can't believe I have a season ticket to watch my team play every home game (and as many aways as possible) of the season. Some people think it's a lot of money to spend on football, it's £780 before any cup or CL games are charged. But some people like to travel, and they may spend more than that amount on a week or 2 away. I see it as 9 months of enjoyment for the same price!

me: You guys are Stretford Enders i bet! which side? thought its tier 2, isnt it?

Mef:
We are actually in North Tier 2 but right near to the North West quadrant we used to sit in; we stayed there for 2 seasons before moving to the North Stand. We are on the front row, and the view is great and being so close to the Stretford End, you really get to enjoy that element too.

Gemma:

We love those seats and it'll take something extraordinary to get us to move from there.

me: ah i see, at least i was right you're at Tier 2. haha. Did you go to last night's match against Wolves? how was the atmosphere?

Mef:
Yes we went, the atmosphere was very down really due to only 46-48k attendance. So you really noticed it. Being near to the Stretford End we still experienced a few songs getting a good airing but nothing compared to the usual.

Gemma:
Yes we went to the game, it was good to see a few of the youngsters and fringe players get a game, but the attendance was very low and that inevitably had an effect on the atmosphere which wasn't good at all.

me: Bebe's, Park's and Chich's. Which one is your best goal last night?

Mef:
They were all good but I think Hernandez's goal because of the ball through to him that tore through the wolves defence and Hernandez took the goal really well with great composure.

Gemma:
Bebe's goal was great with the work from Obertan in the lead up to it, and Park also had a good run and a good finish on his. For me though, Chico's goal was the best. The speed at which he ran from the half way line nd burst through to score the winning goal. It was brilliant. There's a real buzz about Chico at the moment and I'm not surprised. He's exciting; the pace, the touch, the movement off the ball - he's my type of player!

me: I know you have many flags. I've seen your "GIGGS WILL TEAR YOU APART AGAIN" on tv. great flag! How many flags do you have?

Mef:
We have 3 flags. Well 4 if you count the one Gemma made herself for Beckham's return to Old Trafford! The Giggs flag is great; Gemma designed it and got it made (Thanks to Charlie at Barmy Flags) without me knowing.

One day, she said she had a surprise for me! On opening my eyes there was the Giggs flag hanging from the blinds. It was a great surprise; the flag is brilliant.

Gemma:

We had talked about getting a Giggs flag done, but not really confirmed it, then I had a flash of inspiration. Our 2 other flags had been United tricolour ones, I wanted something different and I was so pleased with the finished article!

me: Too bad the Ronaldo one is retired. Honestly that one is my fave flags.Why you put many patches on it? What does it mean?

Gemma:
This was the first flag we got, and I decided on it in the 2008 season, not long before the CL final in Moscow. I just loved Ronaldo, loved the song Viva Ronaldo and loved that feeling when the whole crowd were singing Viva Ronaldo with our scarves twirling above our heads. I miss that song: I miss Ronaldo!

Mef:
We decided to put patches on the flag to reflect the success Ronnie was having at United. So for every trophy he had won with the club, we added one of the shirt sleeve patches. We really hoped at the time that these would continue to fill the flag, but unfortunately it wasn't to be; but who knows what the future holds. I would love to see him back at United one day, whether that happens is another story altogether!

me: agree! Aha! Rooney The White Pele! almost retired? or did you almost burn it? HA!
Whats your thought about Rooney saga?

Gemma:
I still feel totally rocked by the events surrounding Rooney, I'm not all that sure I know how to compose my thoughts on it.

Like Fergie, I was bemused by the situation. I couldn't understand how this great player who had always stated he wanted to play out his career at United was suddenly saying he wanted to leave.

My thoughts flitted between 'he's been tapped up at the World Cup' to 'his agent has played the cards all wrong in the contract negotiations'; but the one thing I knew more than anything was that I was disgusted at how he was doing it all to United.

It deeply upset me how Fergie looked during that press conference; he looked betrayed, hurt and not like the Fergie that we all know and love. That's what hit me harder than the fact Rooney looked like he was on his way out!

I don't like what he has done, I dont like how he treated the club, the manager, his team-mates or the fans. He has a big task now to get everyone back on board. Let's just hope he does!

Mef:

At the time I didnt think it was about money, I took it on board that he generally wasnt happy the club weren't buying new players and that Fergie kept saying 'there's no value in the market'. I thought maybe he was getting disillusioned as he had just had an amazing season and maybe he wanted to end his career at United on that high.

He also had problems in his personal life and he was obviously struggling with the media attention, you could see his confidence had gone in his performances so far this season.

In the end I think we can see it did come down to money and the pay structure is going to be hard to uphold at the club now. All future contract negotiations are going to come down to Rooney's salary I think.

He has upset a lot of people within the club and the fans but I'm sure he'll make that right by putting in the best performances at the biggest club in the world and I'm sure given time he'll shine again.

me: Yaya Toure is being paid 200k every week and thats a Prem League highest wages. Rooney levelled it after signed his new contract.
We all agree Yaya's wages is insane, he's totally overpaid. What about Wayne's? too much or nah?

Mef:
Yeah I think he is being paid an awful lot of money but put that alongside Toure its pretty fair really; Rooney is a much better player. It sickens you when you look at the past heroes of the club and their situations. Just look at Nobby Stiles and him having to sell his medals to leave his family financially sound. Thankfully the club stepped in and bought them for the museum.

Gemma:
10-15 years back, I used to consider players were paid a lot of money, but it was pretty much a way to compensate the fact that a player's career was not that long; that they needed to build up a nest egg for their later years.

These days I think all footballers are paid well over the odds; in my opinion that is why it often gets spent unwisely and not saved for their futures or the futures of their children; although I admit this is not always the way. I can only see that sort of money, £200k a week and think it is ridiculous. However, if it is just a case of Rooney v Yaya and them both earning the same, I'd say Rooney is underpaid! Rooney is by far a better player!

me: A new 5 year deal after a tiring 48 hours of rumours was hard to accept. I'm thinking the club offered olive-branch and Wayne accepted it.
Like SAF said it was a good business. Smell fishy and thinking he's leaving next season with a better amount for the club than we sell him this January.
Do you agree?

Mef:
No, I dont think Ferguson would cover something like that up following the upset the fans have already gone through with this.

I'd be shocked if that happens, but then you never can tell. I'd like to think he will stick around now.

I still think Rooney loves the club. I think he was ill-advised; perhaps the best thing is for him to part ways with his agent.

Gemma:

I can't help but remain a cynic with this. Part of me thinks it is exactly that, a deal to ensure United get the 'right' money for him. I seriously hope not as that would mean Fergie is fooling the fans; I'm not sure he'd do that!

I suppose only time will tell. Unfortunately, being the biggest club in this country, there's nothing more the British media love than to try and sell papers by speculating, so I am sure it's not the last we hear of it!

In the meantime, I'd like to see Rooney prove he was worth a second chance and prove he is worthy of that famous red shirt.

me: Okay my last question....your favourite chant? Mine is "Hello! Hello! We are the Busby Boys!"

Mef:
My favourite has got to be We'll never die. It should be sang as the teams come out. That would create a real atmosphere to put fear into any team coming to Old Trafford. That chant at its best shows the pride we all have in our club and it's history.

Gemma:
I eluded to Viva Ronaldo earlier and whilst that is starting to ring out from inside Old Trafford once more, my favourite is also We'll never die!

I will never forget the emotion I felt when over 70,000 voices took hold of that song at the Munich memorial game at Old Trafford. Tears rolled down my face as I sang it at the top of my voice; proud to be united with all those around me.

Every time I sing that song, it is not just another chant; it is a tribute to those that lost their lives in the Munich Air Disaster in 1958.

me: Thanks for your kindness, thanks for the flag pictures and thanks for the thoughts!
RED ARMY! RED ARMY! RED AMY!

bonus picture for our members:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I dedicated all of Thoughts of Our Red Army interviews to all United Indonesia members.
Hope you guys like it!

Ini akan menjadi edisi terakhir krn setelah ini gue akan vakum dulu krn ada kesibukan yg tidak bisa ditunda.
Mudah2an setelah kesibukan gue selesai, bisa kembali lagi menulis utk thread ini.

WE'LL NEVER DIE!

Last edited by gravedigga; 31-10-2010 at 03:48 AM..
gravedigga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2010, 10:58 PM   #2
dancoloveunited
first team
United till I die

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
dancoloveunited is a jewel in the roughdancoloveunited is a jewel in the roughdancoloveunited is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Thoughts of Our Red Army the 5th - with Mef and Gemma

another superb interview...

hope this isn't the last one...

RED ARMY!!! RED ARMY!!!
Old 30-10-2010, 11:57 PM   #3
Ucup Carrick
captain
Rock n' Roll All Day and All
Of The Night

Thanked 1,304 Times in 618 Posts
Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Ucup Carrick is a glorious beacon of lightUcup Carrick is a glorious beacon of lightUcup Carrick is a glorious beacon of lightUcup Carrick is a glorious beacon of lightUcup Carrick is a glorious beacon of lightUcup Carrick is a glorious beacon of light

yeah...more red armies to get interview...
do not want it is the last...
Old 31-10-2010, 03:45 AM   #4
gravedigga
academy
-

gravedigga is a jewel in the roughgravedigga is a jewel in the roughgravedigga is a jewel in the rough

mudah2an ya. gue usahain bisa interview lagi stlh kesibukan selesai.

Thanks for comments!
gravedigga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2010, 11:48 AM   #5
Wengge Schmeichel
first team
FC United of Manchester

Thanked 1,140 Times in 474 Posts
Mentioned: 148 Post(s)
Wengge Schmeichel is a name known to allWengge Schmeichel is a name known to allWengge Schmeichel is a name known to allWengge Schmeichel is a name known to allWengge Schmeichel is a name known to allWengge Schmeichel is a name known to allWengge Schmeichel is a name known to allWengge Schmeichel is a name known to all

Visit Wengge Schmeichel's Facebook Visit Wengge Schmeichel's Twitter

Superb, what a sequal interview! Best of the Best!
Wengge Schmeichel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2010, 09:49 PM   #6
gravedigga
academy
-