United Indonesia - Manchester United Indonesia Supporters Club
Register
Go Back   United Indonesia - Manchester United Indonesia Supporters Club > INSIDE MANCHESTER UNITED > United History

Old 07-04-2019, 04:41 PM   #111
Andi Istiabudi
manager
Youtube: Andi Istiabudi

Thanked 2,334 Times in 1,748 Posts
Mentioned: 146 Post(s)
Andi Istiabudi is a splendid one to beholdAndi Istiabudi is a splendid one to beholdAndi Istiabudi is a splendid one to beholdAndi Istiabudi is a splendid one to beholdAndi Istiabudi is a splendid one to beholdAndi Istiabudi is a splendid one to beholdAndi Istiabudi is a splendid one to beholdAndi Istiabudi is a splendid one to behold

Default Re: The Treble ... !!!

TEDDY: THIS IS MY STORY OF THE TREBLE CLIMAX

Have you ever wondered what happened in that crazy period of injury time at the Nou Camp in 1999 through the eyes of Teddy Sheringham?

The Treble-winning striker, who proved instrumental in helping the Reds get over the line in all three competitions, went into detail on those iconic moments when discussing his memories with the Manchester United Foundation.

The interview was conducted as the former England striker is returning to Old Trafford for the Treble Reunion match against Bayern Munich on 26 May.

With time running out, and United still trailing to a goal by Mario Basler, Teddy takes up the story...

“When I actually scored was a little bit different to when it was actually happening,” he recalled. “I was going through the motions of seeing Peter Schmeichel come up into the box with his big, green jersey on and thought: ‘Blimey, I didn’t realise it was so late’.

”I knew I went on with half an hour to go but it must be late if Peter is coming into the box. Then the ball is coming past me, into the middle of the goal, to the far stick and Yorkie has tried to hook it back in. They tried to clear it but scuffed the clearance and the ball is falling to Giggsy.

”It’s on his right foot and I’m thinking he’s never going to score from there, it’s on his right foot, as everyone knew, so let’s be alert to the situation. Lo and behold, the ball came bobbling past me and it was up to me to sweep the ball in. Again, it wasn’t his best strike, and it wasn’t my best strike when it got to me, but it found the back of the net so we were all delighted.

“But I definitely knew it wasn’t offside. As Giggsy struck the ball from there, and it was coming past me, I can remember the Bayern defender coming off the line past me and pushing up, putting his hand up in the air for offside. When Giggsy actually struck it, I knew I was onside because he was by the post.

”As I struck it, and scored, I had to glance over my shoulder to make sure the linesman hadn’t got it wrong as well. I didn’t want to see him with his flag up. I saw the flag was down and that was it. I was off on the celebrations after scoring the equaliser.“

“You’re walking back to the halfway line and you think to yourself: ‘Great, we’ve got extra-time. The game must be over. Peter was up. There can’t be much time to go’.
”Then Ole went down the left wing and tried to whip the ball in but it went out for a corner. And it was like I was feeling 10 feet tall now. Becks – put it in an area where I can attack it. I want to go and score a second. Let’s do it!

“So I made my way from the middle to the back to get across the defenders and get myself on the move, so I can jump and head the ball. Becks put it into a great area level with the post and I got up and wanted to head the ball inside the near post really. But I felt I was up just a little bit too early to head the ball down so the only way I could contribute now would be, in a split second, to think just flick it on into an area where, hopefully, there is someone. That would be little Ole, the baby-faced assassin. Ready to do his stuff.”

“Just playing for Manchester United is something beyond my wildest dreams as a footballer. It’s a different level. There are different clubs to play for but you realise how big it is once you play for United. To have success at Manchester United is even better and, to do it all in the 1998/99 season, is one to look back on with a lot of fun.

”It was an unbelievable season. As I say, everyone has got their story. That’s mine.“

Tickets are still available for the Treble Reunion match between United and Bayern Munich on 26 May at Old Trafford.

www.manutd.com
Andi Istiabudi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 05:24 PM   #112
Andi Istiabudi
manager

Andi Istiabudi is a splendid one to beholdAndi Istiabudi is a splendid one to beholdAndi Istiabudi is a splendid one to beholdAndi Istiabudi is a splendid one to beholdAndi Istiabudi is a splendid one to beholdAndi Istiabudi is a splendid one to beholdAndi Istiabudi is a splendid one to beholdAndi Istiabudi is a splendid one to behold

TREBLE ICONS: GARY NEVILLE

Gary Neville was a model of consistency for Manchester United during the 1998/99 season, and no outfield player started more games than he did that year. The lifetime Red has agreed to make one more appearance, too, in our Treble Reunion match at Old Trafford.

LET'S HEAR FROM THE MAN HIMSELF

“The work the Foundation does is incredible and the proceeds from of the game will impact a lot of people. Every penny counts,” says Gary.

“It will be an amazing opportunity to raise a significant amount of money and also give everybody an amazing day out at Old Trafford at the end of the season. It’ll be great to see everybody. I’m just wondering whether Ole will actually be a sub or whether he’ll play. We all love Ole to bits. He’s just a brilliant person.”

THE STORY OF NEVILLE IN 1998/99

The Treble campaign was Gary’s fifth season as a fully-fledged first-team player, and over that time the England international had earned a reputation as one of the most reliable defenders in Europe.

Comfortable playing as a combative full-back and in the heart of defence, few players in ’98/99 were asked to carry out so many different on-field roles.

In total, Neville made 54 appearances - all of them starts - and following the FA Cup win against Liverpool in late January, the full-back did not miss a single minute of our famous run in.

During the tight, nervy matches that season, Gary’s will to win and passion proved infections. A born leader, the defender was inspirational and his impeccably high standards of professionalism and concentration did not drop for an instance.

GARY’S OUTSTANDING MOMENT

While he is renowned today for his superb displays at right-back, Gary actually put in one of his best performances as an auxiliary centre-back. He ensured Michael Owen didn’t get a sniff during September’s 2-0 win over Liverpool, earning sterling praise from Sir Alex Ferguson after the match. “His reading of situations and organisational ability were excellent, and his determination to win the match was superb,” explained the boss.

Neville also impressed at the other end of the pitch in attack - he bagged a rare goal in 1999, when he netted United’s second in a 3-1 win over Everton.

But when the stakes were at their highest, Gary’s unshakable mindset shone through and this inspired what was surely his outstanding moment: registering that left-footed assist for Andy Cole in the final Premier League game of the season, which helped to win the title and claim part one of the Treble. Pure magic.

EXPERT INSIGHT AND OPINION

Sir Alex Ferguson…

“If you trust the players behind you in defence then you can get forward and attack. Gary offers that consistency every week.”

David Beckham…

“Not only is Gary a great person, he is one of the best defenders ever to have played the game. It was an honour to play with him at United and for England.”

WHAT HAPPENED AFTER THE NOU CAMP?

Gary’s playing days at Old Trafford were far from done. He spent another 12 seasons as a United player before retiring in 2011.

During that time Neville won the five more Premier League titles, the Intercontinental Cup, the FIFA Club World Cup, the FA Cup and two League Cups. He was also part of 2007/08 Champions League-winning squad, but was limited to just a single appearance that year due to injury.

In 2005, following Roy Keane’s departure, Gary was appointed United captain and held that role until September 2010. The defender is today remembered as one of the all-time greatest Reds and made a total of 602 first-team appearances - a tally bettered by only four men in the club's entire history.

Following his retirement, Neville has become involved in all aspects of the game. Whether it be as a pundit, manager, club owner or entrepreneur, Gary’s involvement in the game has certainly not diminished since hanging up his boots.

However, he will dust them off once again for our upcoming Treble Reunion match on 26 May. Find out more at manutd.com/treblereunion.

www.manutd.com
Old 12-04-2019, 11:29 PM   #113
Andi Istiabudi
manager

TREBLE ICONS: JAAP STAM

Jaap Stam was the final piece of the jigsaw when Alex Ferguson was assembling his squad for the 1998/99 season, adding his world-class defensive ability to a group that went on to make football history by winning a unique Treble of trophies.

The summer signing from PSV Eindhoven will answer the call of his old manager once again next month, by returning to Old Trafford for the Treble Reunion match against Bayern Munich on 26 May. Tickets for the epic showdown are still available to buy, with all proceeds going to the Manchester United Foundation.

“For that team, I think everything fell right at the same time. We had a great manager, the right manager, and we had the players as well,” Jaap told us earlier this season.

“Everybody was always kept on their toes by the standards around them. Standards were always the highest possible and everybody was determining to give everything they could. Everybody knew their job, and what to do in certain situations. By the end of the season, we wanted to win all three trophies!”

THE STORY OF STAM IN 1998/99

Twenty years ago, £10.5 million was a hefty fee to fork out on a centre-back, but spending that figure on the colossal Dutchman was a shrewd bit of business. Our record transfer signing was announced during the 1998 World Cup, a tournament in which he played a pivotal role as the Netherlands made it to the semi-finals.

While he impressed on his debut, in the 2-0 win against LKS Lodz, Stam’s early performances suggested he was struggling to adapt to the English game. “In the beginning, it was quite hard,“ he once reflected. ”You need to have your time to get adjusted to everything in the UK.

“I’d gone from one country to another, quite young, starting a family, I needed to get used to the English mentality, the country, speaking English all the time rather than just occasionally.“

Jaap quickly overcame his early difficulties and developed into one of our most reliable performers. This was never more evident than in the Champions League, a competition in which he was the only outfield player to play every single minute of the successful European campaign.

In the midst of the silky, free-flowing football, Stam was so often a warrior at the back. He was a man mountain and, during our game-laden run-in, Stam embraced the need to fight for every result. In total, he played 51 games, including 30 in the league and seven of our eight FA Cup matches.

JAAP’S OUTSTANDING MOMENT

The defender did net his only goal in a Red shirt in the 1998/99 season, during a 6-2 rout against Leicester City in January. But it was at the other end of the pitch where he truly stood out and his performances in the Champions League were among his very best for United. He was even voted the best defender in Europe’s premier competition that season.

Against Inter Milan, the Dutchman kept Ivan Zamorano quiet in both legs and famously stood when firm when the striker tried to back into him. He also silenced the great Ronaldo at the San Siro, when the Brazilian was clearly in his prime.

Later, in the semi-final, Stam produced an outstanding goal-line clearance to deny Filippo Inzaghi's looping shot when Juventus were 2-1 up. Without that, our iconic comeback might not have happened.

Gary Neville…

“There was the pressure of a new club, a new country, new team-mates - and the fee. But Jaap coasted through it all. He was brilliant.”

Paul Scholes…

“He was very quiet off the pitch, very quiet in the dressing room - but once he got on the pitch you knew he meant business. He wasn't somebody you wanted to cross, he was a real animal on the pitch.”

Jaap spent another two years at Old Trafford and claimed a Premier League winners’ medal in all of his three seasons at the club.

In 2001, Stam joined Lazio, where he won the Coppa Italia in 2004. The same year he moved to AC Milan and after two seasons returned to his native Netherlands, with Ajax. Later, after 16 years as a professional Jaap retired in 2008.

He soon turned to coaching and enjoyed spells at PEC Zwolle and Ajax, before taking his first managerial role with Reading in 2016. During his time with the Royals, Stam even visited Old Trafford as an away manager in an FA Cup third-round tie. The 46-year-old is now managing PEC Zwolle. However, it was announced recently that he will take up the reigns at former European champions Feyenoord this summer, ahead of the 2019/2020 season.

In the meantime, he is readying himself for our upcoming Treble Reunion match on 26 May. Tickets are still available to buy.

www.manutd.com
Old 15-04-2019, 06:47 AM   #114
Andi Istiabudi
manager

'I AM A FIRM BELIEVER IN LUCK'

What was going through my mind when Phil Neville conceded the penalty?

In all honesty, not a lot. I was just very, very focused.

I was concentrating fully on this next event that was going to happen - the penalty from Dennis Bergkamp. But I was also thinking, even if Arsenal score, we probably had about 10 minutes left.

There was no clock at Villa Park, or perhaps there was one, but I didn't notice it. The game was just so fast and furious, everything happening like that, so I kind of lost track of time.

More often than not, you would have a very good idea about where you are in terms of the time of a game. But not in this one.

So I was quite surprised that very few minutes were left and then the final whistle would be blown.

Bergkamp is stepping up and there was no plan, no analysis done beforehand of how he took his penalties.

I never did that. I'm a firm believer in luck. Truly, a really firm believer in luck.

Obviously, there are some players nowadays who are very different because of how they prepare to face them.

I would never do it.

You can do your research and, yeah, he might have put four to one side and two the other side so, statistically, he would be more likely to aim for that side. But who even knows what is going to happen in this moment?

It's a situation where you have no control. You don't put the ball on the spot. You don't make the run-up. You don't decide how long the run-up is. You don't decide which foot he is going to kick with. You don't decide the angle of the approach. You don't decide when the referee blows his whistle.

Instead, you have to react to what happens.

So, in order to gain a little bit of control, or at least to think I have a little bit of control, I would rather not know anything at that point.

When it comes to penalties, including in shoot-outs, for me it is simple. I have already decided.

This is what I am going to do.

I don't care who kicks the ball.

In a shoot-out, I'm still going to go left, right, right, left, right. That is what I am going to do.

So that gives me the idea, or impression, that I am actually in control.

It's all about thinking about the right height and, in shoot-outs, you want to save one penalty. I think one penalty is often good enough to win. So that is what you aim for.

This was different. One penalty and it was crucial.

It's all about these key moments in games. That was a key moment but I was thinking, when Ryan scored the goal afterwards, that is another key moment.

When you go through that four or five-month period from the turn of the year in 1999, you begin to look into detail at what happened in games. You find that key moments swung our way every time.

It really is incredible, and that doesn’t usually happen.

Everything is balanced. You usually get a penalty decision against you, which you don’t think is a penalty, then, two games later, you get a penalty decision for you that is probably not a penalty, so it seems to balance itself out over the course of the year. But in this period where every time we needed a break, the break would fall our way.

Every time we needed a decision, a decision would come our way.

I think you need that, in order to achieve winning tough games, against tough opponents like Arsenal, who were neck and neck with us all the way.

You start looking at our results, and think it’s going to go down to the wire, so you've already made that decision. ‘This is going to go right to the end’.

So you just have to do your job, be focused, don’t pay a lot of attention to the particulars of what is happening. Just go by the result - you run and run and run - and you never look back until years later. You look back and think did that really happen?

You don’t understand how everything fell our way, if you just look at the results, and this is why it’s so difficult to do, and this is why, when we are talking about other clubs doing the same thing, it’s probably not going to happen because you really have to be very, very lucky.

And we were.

www.manutd.com
Old 15-04-2019, 07:10 AM   #115
Andi Istiabudi
manager

TREBLE ICONS: DENIS IRWIN

As longest-serving member of the Manchester United squad in 1998/99, Denis Irwin’s experience proved invaluable for our youthful squad and his calming influence cannot be understated, especially in the many times of adversity.

The Irishman will make another impact on the group in the Treble Reunion match against Bayern Munich on 26 May. Tickets for the showdown are still available to buy, with all proceeds going to the Manchester United Foundation.

“Playing football is a great life, I was fortunate to play with so many great players at Manchester United which made my life easier, but 1999 would take some beating,“ Denis recently reflected.

”I think you’d have to win the World Cup to top those 10 days, winning the league, beating Newcastle in the FA Cup and beating Bayern Munich. The way we did it will take some beating.”

THE STORY OF IRWIN IN 1998/99

The Treble campaign was Denis’s ninth as a United player and he had established himself as a model of consistency during his prior seasons with the club.

In an era when full-backs were expected to focus mainly on defending, Denis was decades ahead of his time by being as comfortable on the front foot as he was shutting out the opposition. Irwin was also capable of operating on either flank, something that is almost unheard of in today’s game.

Winning three trophies in one season demands a winning mentality, and Irwin’s drive and passion, coupled with his determination, helped create the atmosphere required for success.

Even at the age 33, Denis played 48 games in '98/99, including 12 of our 13 Champions League matches.

Sadly, the defender missed the FA Cup final through suspension, but played in all the rounds prior the Wembley showpiece.

DENIS’S OUTSTANDING MOMENT

Our trip to Turin is always remembered for the outstanding performance of an influential Irishman, but Irwin’s contribution that evening is often overlooked.

After conceding those two early goals against Juventus, Denis produced a fantastic display to keep the likes of Antonio Conte and Zinedine Zidane quiet. He also nearly netted what would have been a decisive goal for the Reds when he hit the post in the latter stages.

The full-back had already proved his attacking threat that season, breaking the deadlock against Liverpool in September with a trademark penalty. In the high-pressure moments, Denis always remained the coolest head on the pitch and he also netted from the spot in the reverse fixture at Anfield later in the campaign.

In total, Irwin scored three penalties that year, including one in the third-round FA Cup clash with Middlesbrough, that completed our comeback against Bryan Robson’s side.

Sir Alex Ferguson…

“People ask me: ‘Who is your best Man United team?’. It is absolutely impossible. You look at the players I had. How do you pick out of that? But honestly, I would say Denis Irwin would be the one certainty to get in the team. I called him an eight out of 10.”

Irwin remained at Old Trafford for another three seasons and won two more league titles. While he managed to maintain his impeccably high standards, age finally took its toll on the Irishman in his final season at United.

Reluctantly, Sir Alex knew it was Denis’s time to move on and in 2002 - aged 36 - he moved to Wolverhampton Wanderers. He left the club having won 19 major honours in 12 years and, remarkably, could boast winners’ medal in eight separate competitions.

After joining Wolves, Irwin helped the Black Country club to gain promotion to the Premier League in his first season at Molineux. The following year, the man from Cork returned to Old Trafford, this time as an opposition defender, as we beat Wolves 1-0 in August 2003. It proved to be his final season as a player, and at the end of the campaign he announced his retirement from the game.

Since then, Denis has become a club ambassador and regular face on MUTV, where he offers his expert opinion on everything United.

Right now, he is preparing to once again grace the Old Trafford pitch for our upcoming Treble Reunion match on 26 May. Tickets are still available to buy.

www.manutd.com
Old 27-04-2019, 06:50 AM   #116
Andi Istiabudi
manager

TREBLE ICONS: RONNY JOHNSEN

One of only five players to start all three of the trophy-nabbing deciders at the climax of the Treble season, Ronny Johnsen was a vital figure at the heart of Alex Ferguson’s defence in 1998/99, and a valuable alternative in midfield.

Now the Old Trafford faithful will get another chance to honour his contribution when he returns for the Treble Reunion game against Bayern Munich at the Theatre of Dreams on 26 May. Tickets for the game are available to buy here, with all proceeds going to Manchester United Foundation.

LET'S DELVE DEEPER

One of our four Norwegians alongside Henning Berg, Erik Nevland and Ole Gunnar Solskjaer, Johnsen endured an injury-interrupted season by missing September through to December – but made 37 appearances during his third campaign.

The duo started the Champions League final against Bayern Munich, after some deliberation from Ferguson regarding who should play in central midfield, in light of the suspensions that prevented Roy Keane and Paul Scholes from involvement. Johnsen was an obvious candidate – as was Ryan Giggs – but after David Beckham impressed there against Newcastle in the FA Cup final (following an early injury to Keane) Johnsen was enlisted in his familiar role at the back alongside Stam.

Johnsen left Old Trafford in the summer of 2002 after 150 appearances and nine goals for the club. In six seasons, he was part of four Premier League successes, also winning an FA Cup, the Champions League and two Charity Shields.

RONNY’S BARCELONA EXPERIENCE

The famous night in Barcelona started awkwardly for both United and Johnsen, when the Norwegian was harshly penalised after a tangle with Bayern forward Alexander Zickler. “He came through, I was running past him. He put his leg out, I fell forwards and he fell backwards and he got the free-kick,” said a frustrated Johnsen afterwards.

The resultant free-kick was taken by Mario Basler, who surprised Schmeichel by attacking the post to the Dane’s left and gave the Germans a precious lead. But Ronny soon regathered his composure, making a crucial intervention to deny Carsten Jancker a chance to double Bayern’s lead later in the first half.

“Time after time, we would find ourselves in a situation where we were behind and chasing the game,” noted Ronny, “often with time running out, so we just pushed on. We had all this attacking talent, with so many amazing midfield and forward players, so we knew that we always had a goal in us and it was worth gambling to try to get it.“

When, in the second half, the game grew strained and desperate, the defender believes the team came into their element, and began to play to their strengths.

“Such a risky approach to games was dangerous, but it usually paid off because we were so good at keeping the ball away from our opponents. Sometimes we lost it and they kicked it high and long, so at the back we had to be first to the ball, but for us it was usually not a problem. You had to be awake to situations. Sometimes the full-backs tucked in a little bit or one of the midfielders would hold a little bit, but if we were down, we just had to go for it. There was no other way.”

JOHNSEN’S TREBLE SEASON

The Norwegian defender played 37 times in 1998/99, starting on 30 occasions. That figure would undoubtedly have been higher had it not been for his injury problems during the autumn, but he started and finished the season as Ferguson’s favourite partner for Stam.

It was the Dutchman’s first season in England, and Johnsen was vital in helping him settle and find his groove in the team’s defence. “He was easy to play with,” remembered the defender, “and we formed a good partnership that season. I think it worked because we both knew our strengths. We were both quick one against one, we could keep a high line because we trusted each other very much – otherwise, if you don’t have faith in your partner, you start to cover up a little bit behind him and leave your man a few more yards, then they can play on him.

“It was all about trust. You could go really tough into the strikers and not be afraid about what was behind us. We clicked. It was automatic and you don’t even have to say too much to each other – even though we said everything we needed to say and were always communicating when we needed to.”

Johnsen was also extremely useful to Ferguson in midfield, when needed, and also popped up with three goals. The first arrived against Coventry, when he deftly turned home a spicy Paul Scholes shot from outside the area, and his final two came in the same match, against Nottingham Forest. His header and thunderous volley gave United a 2-0 lead that day, and were the goals that kickstarted our incredible 33-match unbeaten run, which stretched from Boxing Day until that balmy night in the Nou Camp.

At the close of the season, with Stam's Achilles injury leading Ferguson to omit him from the starting XI for the decisive league match against Spurs and the FA Cup final, Johnsen partnered David May to guide United's defence through the first two steps on the way to the Treble.

RONNY’S BEST MOMENT

Arguably the versatile Norwegian’s best performance of the season came against Inter Milan, in the imposing environs of the Giuseppe Meazza Stadium, aka San Siro, where he was used to neuter Ronaldo - after sterling work in Norway’s legendary 4-2 win over the then world champions in 1997.

“I deployed Ronny Johnsen alongside Roy Keane in centre-midfield so that either one could choke the space in which the great Brazilian likes to operate,” wrote Ferguson in Managing My Life. ”Knowing that neither Ronaldo nor [Roberto] Baggio would press for the ball or hunt it down, I urged on our full-backs, Gary Neville and Denis Irwin, the importance of profiting from the possession they would have.“

Gary Neville remembered: ”In the San Siro we were pelted with oranges as soon as we went on the pitch for a warm-up. I’d not heard noise like it since Galatasaray. The manager must have wondered if we’d stand up to that sort of pressure but he’d already taken precautions. He picked Ronny Johnsen in central midfield instead of Scholesy, and it proved an inspired choice. Ronny was everywhere, taking the sting out of the game.“

His compatriot Berg might be more frequently remembered for his role in the two games against Inter – thanks to some staggering clearances – but our former no. 5 did the dirty work that quieted the Nerazzurri and their crowd, providing the platform for Paul Scholes to replace him late in the game and seal United’s path to the semis with a priceless away goal.

WHAT SIR ALEX SAID

“He's got fantastic ability. If he remains fit, you will not get a better centre-half in the country.”

WHAT HAPPENED AFTER THE TREBLE?

A nasty knee injury meant Johnsen did not kick a ball after the Bayern match until April the following year, on the day that United clinched another title by beating Southampton 3-1.

Quirkily, it meant a trophy had been secured in each of the Norwegian’s last four consecutive appearances! He would win another Premier League medal the following term before another knee problem thwarted him, leading to his departure for Aston Villa, on a free transfer, at the conclusion of the 2001/02 season.

He spent two years in Birmingham, before moving to Newcastle in 2004. He announced his retirement the following year, but ended up reversing his decision and playing several further seasons for Oslo outfit Valerenga in his homeland.

Thanks to United fan and Old Trafford season-ticket holder Stanley Chow for his illustrated portrait of Ronny Johnsen. To see more of his ‘Treble Winners’ collection, visit www.thestanleychowprintshop.com.

www.manutd.com
Old 27-04-2019, 07:06 AM   #117
Andi Istiabudi
manager

'THE IMPOSSIBLE DREAM' TO PREMIERE ON SUNDAY

A new feature-length film celebrating Manchester United’s iconic 1998/99 Treble-winning season will debut on Sunday 28 April, following the Reds’ Premier League clash with Chelsea.

The Impossible Dream is a look back at the unprecedented campaign, which climaxed with Sir Alex Ferguson’s side claiming the Premier League, the FA Cup and the Champions League – the three most prestigious pieces of silverware available to English clubs.

NBC Sports were granted access to our entire archive – comprising 125 hours of historic footage – to produce the film, which features interviews with Ferguson and former legends Ryan Giggs, David Beckham and Peter Schmeichel, among a host of others, including current manager Ole Gunnar Solskjaer.

The movie opens with scenes from the incredible parade through Manchester which followed the dramatic 2-1 win over Bayern Munich in the Champions League final, when tens of thousands of fans congregated to celebrate.

Supporters will now be able to relive the Treble, as we approach its 20th anniversary, by catching The Impossible Dream, which premieres on NBCSN at 14:30 ET in the United States.

The work will also be streamable via NBCSports.com and the NBC Sports App, while viewers outside the USA can view the film on MUTV on Monday 29 April at 19:30 BST.

Beckham, who played for Manchester United for 11 seasons (1992-2003) after progressing to the first team from the club’s Academy, summed up the historic season simply. “That was the most special time in my career,” he said.

“This has been a very special collaboration with Manchester United to present the story of one of the most historic accomplishments in English football,” said Pierre Moossa, coordinating producer of NBC Sports’ Premier League coverage. “This film will provide viewers with an opportunity to appreciate an unprecedented achievement that transcends all sports.”

Sir Alex Ferguson and many of the heroes from the famous season will also take part in a Treble anniversary match against a Bayern Munich select XI at Old Trafford on 26 May 2019, exactly 20 years on from the night the Treble was clinched in Barcelona.

For more information please visit www.manutd.com/treblereunion. All proceeds will go to Manchester United Foundation’s work with young people across Greater Manchester.
Don't forget, non-US viewers can catch the premiere of The Impossible Dream at 19:30 BST on MUTV on Monday 29 April.

www.manutd.com
Old 03-05-2019, 06:46 AM   #118
Andi Istiabudi
manager

TREBLE ICONS: DAVID BECKHAM

David Beckham began 1998/99 at the lowest point of his career, after an infamous sending off for England at the World Cup, yet our homegrown hero showed his true colours in the shirt of Manchester United and finished the season with an unbeatable high.

Now, the global sporting icon is preparing for an anticipated return to Old Trafford for this month's Treble Reunion match against Bayern Munich on 26 May. Tickets for the charitable occasion are still available to buy, with all proceeds going to the Manchester United Foundation.

“I'm so excited to be coming back, especially for this game,” says Becks. “I haven't seen some of the squad for a while, so to all be back together, as players and friends, will be a great moment. Having Sir Alex there to manage us will also be an incredible moment. To have the boss back at Old Trafford will be huge for the fans - it will be an incredible day.

“Being a team that achieved so much in 1999, to come together and do something like this and raise as much money as possible for the Foundation is so important for all of us as individuals, as a team and, of course, Manchester United as a club.”

THE STORY OF BECKHAM IN ‘98/99

“A lot of people were writing me off at the start of the season saying I would crack or maybe go abroad, but it never even entered my mind,” said David, fresh from becoming a Treble-winner.

Thank goodness he did neither. Spurred on by the boos of opposition fans, he produced the finest football of his career to date, buzzing around from the first kick of the season at Wembley to the last in the Nou Camp. His crossing was pinpoint, his free-kicks stunning, his work-rate unrivalled, and his overall contribution a major factor in United’s three-trophy haul.

In 1998/99, he took his game to a whole new level and knew exactly who to thank for his inspiration. “The people booing me did me a favour,” he said. “I just ignored them, got my head down and got on with my game – but I’m sure it improved me as a player.”

DAVID'S OUTSTANDING MOMENT

It is arguably the forgotten goal of ‘98/99, but its importance cannot be underestimated. Tottenham were leading 1-0 at Old Trafford on a tense final day of the Premier League season, in a match we needed three points to win the title – or at least better Arsenal’s result. It didn’t look good.

Then Becks stepped up, whipping a right-footed shot from the very edge of the penalty area into the top-left corner, securing a pivotal equaliser and inspiring ecstasy around the Theatre of Dreams.

Andy Cole went on to score the title-clinching goal from Gary Neville’s assist, and the Treble across the next 10 days, but none of that would have happened without Beckham’s brilliant goal.

Gary Neville…

“Great players are defined by their ability to influence big matches and in Manchester United’s greatest season of all, 1998-99, he contributed plenty: the delivery of his crosses in the Champions League quarter-final against Inter Milan; scoring in the epic FA Cup semi-final at Villa Park against Arsenal, the game in which Ryan Giggs’s goal eventually won the match; scoring against Tottenham on the last day of the season, when we won the league; and the corners for Teddy Sheringham and Ole Gunnar Solskjaer in the Champions League final. In fact, he was our best player in that final and was the outfield player with the most appearances that season.”

Becks left United in 2003 with 394 appearances, 85 goals and 13 trophies. He joined Real Madrid and won two trophies in Spain, including the La Liga title, before embarking on an American adventure in Major League Soccer with LA Galaxy. A loan spell at AC Milan was enjoyed in that time, and in January 2013 he signed for Paris Saint-Germain to finish his illustrious career in France. On the international front, he won 115 England caps and proudly captained the Three Lions.

www.manutd.com
Old 05-05-2019, 07:49 PM   #119
Andi Istiabudi
manager

TREBLE ICONS: WES BROWN

It may have been his first year, in 1998, in the Manchester United first team but, with appearances in the Champions League against Barcelona and Bayern Munich, our Treble-winning campaign was one to remember for Wes Brown.

The defender made 21 appearances over the course of the campaign, to add to the two he made in the previous campaign. Four of these came in the Champions League group stages as the Reds fought past Brondby, Barcelona and eventual fellow finalists Bayern Munich to reach the quarter-finals of the competition.

Wes would go on to be a mainstay of United's squad for the next 12 years with another highlight coming in 2008 for the Longsight-born defender as he provided the assist for Cristiano Ronaldo's opening goal in our Champions League triumph in Moscow.

Now Brown will pull on a United shirt again when he returns for the Treble Reunion game against Bayern Munich at the Theatre of Dreams on 26 May. Tickets for the game are available to buy here, with all proceeds going to the Manchester United Foundation.

“Being part of the squad in ’99, I’d ended up with all three major trophies in my first season,” he said as part of Utd Unscripted. “You don’t realise until many, many years later just how hard it is to do that.

”At the time, I was only young. It flies over your head and you just think that’s how it is, that you can just go out and win everything. It isn’t anything like that simple.

“Looking back, the focus and mentality of the lads must have been second to none to win all three of those trophies.”

THE STORY OF WES IN 1998/99

What a moment to make your mark at Manchester United. Wes was in pole position to be thrown into the squad due to injuries and defensive team-mates falling out of form over the course of the campaign. The youngster slotted in at right-back and in his favoured position of centre-back and went on to win the Jimmy Murphy Young Player of the Year award at the end of the campaign for the second year running.

His first appearance of the season came in a 3-0 win over Southampton at The Dell, where he came on as a substitute with 12 minutes to go for Denis Irwin, but made his first start two weeks later as the Reds demolished Wimbledon in a 5-1 win.

Brown was important in the group stages of the Champions League. He featured in both games against Brondby, making his European debut in United's 6-2 away win in Denmark. The European debutant had a match to remember as he progressed unimpeded into the final third and claimed an assist when his cross was fumbled by the keeper for Ryan Giggs to tuck away.

In the reverse fixture at Old Trafford, Wes came on as a first-half substitute after half an hour and helped the hosts to an emphatic 5-0 victory.

His final appearance of the season came in our 2-1 win over Aston Villa, where he came on as a substitute as the Reds picked up three valuable points on 1 May.

WES'S BEST MOMENT

The standout moment from Brown's season were his two appearances against Barcelona and Bayern Munich in the Champions League group stages.

The defender was put straight into the starting XI by Alex Ferguson as the Reds battled to a 3-3 draw in a thriller at the Nou Camp.

Two weeks later, Brown was back in the starting XI. This time, it was for the Reds' final group fixture against a strong Bayern unit. The young defender had to be stout against the German outfit with Wes producing two fine clearances before striker Giovane Elber could pounce as qualification remained on a knife-edge.

Wes played the full 90 minutes as a 1-1 draw was ultimately enough for both clubs to advance to the quarter-finals of the competition.

WHAT HAPPENED AFTER THE TREBLE?

This was just the beginning of what was a hugely successful career for Brown. The defender went on to make a total 362 appearances before he left in 2011, scoring five goals. As well as the Treble, Wes managed to collect 10 further top honours, including the 2008 Champions League, when he played a key role.

Brown headed to the north-east to join Steve Bruce's Sunderland in July 2011. In his time at the Stadium of Light, Wes racked up just under 90 appearances in all competitions over five seasons, some of which were hindered by injury.

In September 2016, Brown signed a short-term deal with Blackburn Rovers until the end of the season and also took up a coaching role with the club's development squad. He scored on his debut in a 3-2 defeat to Reading with Rovers ultimately relegated to League One. After that, Brown spent a year in India, with former coach Rene Meulenstein, at Kerala Blasters.

www.manutd.com
Old 18-05-2019, 01:34 AM   #120
Andi Istiabudi
manager

YORKE: TREBLE REUNION WILL BE A MAGNIFICENT DAY

Legendary striker Dwight Yorke will be lacing up his boots one more time to play in the Treble Reunion match at Old Trafford on Sunday 26 May, to raise money for Manchester United Foundation.

Yorke will return to the pitch to celebrate our incredible Treble-winning season of 20 years ago, which was also a dream debut campaign for the Tobagan himself as he bagged 29 goals to finish as the Reds' top scorer.

He will be joined up front by the player he often partnered to devastating effect, Andy Cole, while our other famous attacking options in 1998/99, Teddy Sheringham and current United manager Ole Gunnar Solskjaer, will again be available for selection by former boss Sir Alex Ferguson.

Speaking about the reunion with his old team-mates, Dwight said: “This will bring back the memories of a lifetime.

“A unique bunch of players will be able to celebrate probably the greatest achievement in the history of Manchester United Football Club.

”The gaffer [Sir Alex] will love being out there and we, as players, will love to be led out again by the great man.

“It will be a magnificent day for us all; a day full of memories and joy.”

Also in United's Treble Reunion squad are the ex-England midfielders David Beckham, Nicky Butt and Paul Scholes. Peter Schmeichel will be back in goal, with Jaap Stam, Denis Irwin, Gary Neville, Ronny Johnsen, Henning Berg, Wes Brown and David May all able to play in front of him in defence. Jesper Blomqvist, Jonathan Greening and goalkeeper Raimond van der Gouw complete the squad.

The Treble Reunion match will take place exactly 20 years to the day United emerged from the Nou Camp with the Champions League trophy, following a famous 2-1 win over Bayern Munich. The two clubs will face each other in the anniversary game, with the resulting funds going towards Manchester United Foundation’s work with young people across Greater Manchester.

“The Foundation has given children opportunities to achieve something they didn’t think they could achieve,” Dwight continued.

“Apart from seeing the old legends and celebrating the anniversary, it’s a much bigger picture. The game will mean a lot to the Foundation so they can continue the wonderful work they’ve been doing for all these years.”

For tickets, hospitality and more info, visit manutd.com/treblereunion. All proceeds will go to Manchester United Foundation.

www.manutd.com

(View-All Members who have read this thread : 36
adhie21, AdministratoR, ali_iyan, Andi Istiabudi, astridtiwi, Benzenakusdiana, Blacklist7, Deddy Hernandez, delongedee, dhodoadrian, fajrinited, id4y, ipay, Iqbal14, irfi_1, khalid, Kurniawan Ani, Mr.Legend, penk22_, raymond, ricky_cleverley, rio vander vidic, ronald hars, RyanRezha, SatriaRedArmy, schizo, setipp48, SR 7, tumpal_oneunited, Ucup Carrick, Veliko, vivasoilsolid, YANGWAN, zudomiriku