United Indonesia - Manchester United Indonesia Supporters Club
Register
Go Back   United Indonesia - Manchester United Indonesia Supporters Club > OUTSIDE UNITED > General Football > Archives > World Cup 2010

Old 15-07-2010, 04:41 PM   #1
rondwisan
udah sebelas yaa :)

Thanked 4,736 Times in 2,701 Posts
Mentioned: 567 Post(s)
rondwisan has a reputation beyond reputerondwisan has a reputation beyond reputerondwisan has a reputation beyond reputerondwisan has a reputation beyond reputerondwisan has a reputation beyond reputerondwisan has a reputation beyond reputerondwisan has a reputation beyond reputerondwisan has a reputation beyond reputerondwisan has a reputation beyond reputerondwisan has a reputation beyond reputerondwisan has a reputation beyond repute
Visit rondwisan's Facebook Visit rondwisan's Twitter
Default Memories of World Cup 2010

catatan mereka di balik dapur Four Four Two
__________________________________________________ ______

Memories of World Cup 2010
442 - 12 July 2010 11:42

Now the curtain has come down on the 2010 World Cup, we thought it would be nice to share our abiding memories of the tournament with you...

Gary Parkinson - Editor, FourFourTwo.com

Best game
I'd love to say Slovakia v Italy, but I didn't see it: I was covering Paraguay 0-0 New Zealand. Of the 50-odd games I did see, perhaps the best story was the oddly enjoyable Germany-England match. History in the making, it was statistically quite an even game, packed with drama – That 'Goal', England's plucky semi-fightback, Germany's skilful assassination – and tactical intrigue. I took no pleasure from England's defeat, but I took plenty from Germany's performance.

Best goal
The magnificence of its pointlessness only improves Quagliarella's chip as Italy crashed out. Sublime in thought and execution, especially as his team-mates had just let loose the chains on All Hell.

Best moment
Iker Casillas's tears as Iniesta & Co. celebrated the World Cup-winning goal. Having led from the back by almost single-handedly keeping four clean sheets in the knockout stages, the captain richly deserves the honours bestowed upon him.

Funniest moment
Tempting to go for Rob Green's fumble – oh come on, it was hilarious - or Yakubu's miss. Or John Terry hurling himself in front of Slovenia's late shots like an Essex-sent missile. Or Heskey lumbering on to conquer the Germans. But that would be to ignore the comedic tour de force that was the French squad's refusal to train and Domenech's impromptu recital of a handwritten ransom note from his own players. Highlight: that coach's Fawltyesque throwing away of his FIFA accreditation as he stormed from the deserted field.

Biggest surprise
Capello's v-sign to the media in playing a 4-4-2 (actually more like a 4-2-3-1 but let's not carp) against Slovenia. "Our sources have told us it'll be a diamond," said the crisp salesman. "I've told you, as your manager: You're playing on the left wing, son," said Capello to his captain.

Biggest disappointment
Spain. Such abundance of talent and domination of possession should yield far more than four successive 1-0 wins in the knockouts. It worked for them, but it didn't do anything for me. This was a laboured World Cup win on a par with France in 1998, and although that side had Stephane Guivarc'h instead of David Villa, the new Barcelona man's five goals all came in matches where he'd started playing off the plainly unfit Torres - illustrating the great paradox at the heart of the clamour for 4-2-3-1: you need a superb, on-form line-leader, or you're going to struggle. Few in Spain might agree today, but a few in England need to bear it in mind while naming their No.9.

Player of the tournament
It's much harder to argue with FIFA's choice of Diego Forlan than it is to argue with wazzocks who haven't seen him since his spell at Old Trafford. Some of those wazzocks hold down highly-paid jobs as alleged experts. They need to lose those jobs. 

Young player of the tournament
Again, FIFA made the right call in ennobling Thomas Müller. Fast, accurate, savvy and adaptable, he epitomises the future of forward play. 

Lesson I’ve learned
It's possible to get by without much sleep, as long as you have the support of a good family, both at home and at work.
“Let’s not underestimate the other teams. They are very good teams and there are a lot of games to play before the end of the season. We’re in a good position. But that means nothing if you don’t win the next game.” - Dimitar Berbatov

Last edited by rondwisan; 17-07-2010 at 08:25 PM..
The Following User Says Thank You to rondwisan For This Useful Post:
Old 15-07-2010, 04:44 PM   #2
rondwisan

rondwisan has a reputation beyond reputerondwisan has a reputation beyond reputerondwisan has a reputation beyond reputerondwisan has a reputation beyond reputerondwisan has a reputation beyond reputerondwisan has a reputation beyond reputerondwisan has a reputation beyond reputerondwisan has a reputation beyond reputerondwisan has a reputation beyond reputerondwisan has a reputation beyond reputerondwisan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Memories of World Cup 2010

Next ...

Hugh Sleight - Editor in Chief, FourFourTwo

Best game

Germany 4 England 1. Goals, drama, controversy, brilliance - it was a game with everything. Worth 12 hours in a coach to and from Joburg to see it. We'll still be talking about it in 40 years time when Sepp Blatter Jr again refuses to introduce goal-line technology.

Best goal
Technically, Luis Suarez's curler was the best, but my favourite has to be the Shearer-at-Blackburn-esque effort from Asamoah Gyan against the US. Defenders bouncing off him like it was a cartoon, followed by an old-fashioned larrup.

Best moment
Tshabala's opening game scorcher to assuage doubts that the hosts would get roundly stuffed in every game. And Michael Carrick's very respectable mum suddenly blasting out "I'm England til I die" against Germany.

Funniest moment
France's disintegration. They made England's players look like wise old owls. At what point do you decide to sacrifice potentially your only shot at the World Cup because you don't really like that bloke over there because he's slightly younger/posher/less like Patrice Evra than you?

Biggest surprise
Germany's football. Even accounting for never writing off the Germans, no one expected such irresistible football. Who knew that Holland were the new Germany and Germany the new Holland?

Biggest disappointment
Rooney, Torres, Ronaldo and the other stuttering stars.

Player of the tournament
Xavi. Throughout the tournament, all the talk was that Spain hadn't really played well. Jesus. If only England could not play well as well as that! At the heart of this truly great team are the smart feet and sharp brain of Xavi.

Vladimir Weiss looks about 12 but excelled for Slovakia, Thomas Muller and Mesut Ozil were both exceptional but I'm going for Gyan again (even though he's 24...). He led the line brilliantly. His great misfortune was that England didn't top their group and give him the chance to double his goal tally against ’JT and Upsy‘.

Lesson I've learned
That an awful lot of players win 100 caps these days.
“Let’s not underestimate the other teams. They are very good teams and there are a lot of games to play before the end of the season. We’re in a good position. But that means nothing if you don’t win the next game.” - Dimitar Berbatov

Last edited by rondwisan; 17-07-2010 at 08:25 PM..
Old 15-07-2010, 04:46 PM   #3
rondwisan

Next ...

David Hall - Editor, FourFourTwo magazine

Best game

Japan vs Paraguay. Just kidding. Ghana vs Uruguay had it all. It was football with heart and soul… and a bit of cheating. It had the lot.

Best goal
The first one of the tournament scored by South Africa’s Siphiwe Tshabalala. Had the whole office out of their seats and buzzing about the start of the World Cup.

Best moment
Wesley Sneijder running to a TV camera to celebrate his goal against Brazil. A big star with a bit or personality. That’s what we like.

Funniest moment
Seeing France’s bizarre World Cup build up (kart racing, road cycling and mountain climbing anyone?) degenerate into a farcical sulk-off between players and management.

Biggest surprise
Diego Maradona. Aside from the expected fractious comments aimed at everyone from the Argentine press to Bastian Schweinsteiger, he conducted himself with a level of decorum that I certainly didn’t expect. It was a shame. I thought he’d chin at least one FIFA official.

Biggest disappointment
England. I had the dubious pleasure of attending England vs Algeria, the highlight of which was buying a vuvuzela. Yes, it was that bad.

Player of the tournament
Wesley Sneijder. Coming off the back of a treble-winning season with Inter, tiredness didn’t appear to be an issue for the Dutchman who pretty much ran the show for Holland. Winter breaks or not, he had a long few months at the office and consistently delivered.

Mesut Ozil. We had identified him as one to watch long before the World Cup started and our prediction rang true. Silky skills, great vision and surprising turns of pace made him one of the most complete midfielders at the tournament.

Lesson I’ve learned
To never again get excited about England’s chances going into a major tournament. My anticipation and disappointment were significantly heightened by becoming FourFourTwo’s editor in January of a World Cup year. It was a rollercoaster… mainly travelling downwards.

Last edited by rondwisan; 17-07-2010 at 08:26 PM..
Old 15-07-2010, 04:50 PM   #4
rondwisan

Next ...

Gregg Davies - News Editor, FourFourTwo.com

Best game

Slovakia 3-2 Italy. Fascinating final 15 minutes, in which the holders looked dead, buried and set to bow out with barely a whimper, only to rally out of nowhere and finish a single goal short of qualifying. Super-sub Kamil Kopunek scoring with his first ever touch at a World Cup finals and Fabio Quagliarella’s delightful late chip added to the late drama.

Best goal
Okay, so it may not have been everybody's pick for goal of the tournament, but I really enjoyed Nicklas Bendtner’s leveller for Denmark against Cameroon. A simple but brilliant move from the back, featuring two inch-perfect deliveries from Simon Kjaer (diagonal 50-yard effort) and Dennis Rommedahl (pin-point square pass across the penalty area).

Best moment
The last-gasp goalline madness between Ghana and Uruguay ending with Luis Suarez’s handball and Asamoah Gyan squandering the chance to rewrite African football history books from 12 yards.

Funniest moment
It's difficult for it not to be the French, with a pair of shambolic performances against Mexico and South Africa sandwiching their laughable conduct off the pitch. Some solace for the Republic of Ireland, but not much.

Biggest surprise
Brazil hitting the self-destruct button the one time they faced adversity in the tournament. Having cruised through to the quarters, Felipe Melo - sorry, Wesley Sneijder’s equaliser was all it took for the Samba Boys to lose both the plot and their heads.

Biggest disappointment
Wayne Rooney, above the plethora of big names who didn’t dazzle. With a season behind him that had filled England fans with so much anticipation, the forward looked like a lost soul in South Africa, one shot against Slovenia that struck an upright aside.

Player of the tournament
Without David Villa’s goals Spain wouldn’t have come close to going all the way. But my vote goes to Diego Forlan – carrying his team and his country through to the last four, and one of the few players to truly master the wretched Jabulani ball.

Thomas Müller. Two caps and no goals before tournament began. Now five goals in eight appearances, netting his fifth goal of the competition against Uruguay with only his sixth shot on target of the tournament. Badly missed against Spain in the semi-final.

Lesson I’ve learned
Bet against Paul the octopus at your peril.

Last edited by rondwisan; 17-07-2010 at 08:26 PM..
Old 15-07-2010, 04:52 PM   #5
rondwisan

Next ...

James Maw - Features Editor, FourFourTwo.com

Best game

Holland’s quarter-final victory over Brazil had everything - some great football, some atrocious defending and three - count ‘em - THREE moment of madness from Felipe Melo which resulted in Ronaldo advising him via Twitter not to return to Brazil.

Best goal
Having lost their opening match to Switzerland, Spain were labouring a tad in the opening stages of their second match against Honduras. That was until David Villa embarked on a powerful run down the Spanish left – cutting inside and beating three men using a combination of power and guile before working the ball onto his right foot and driving it into the top corner.

Best moment
Slovakia’s victory over Italy will live long in the memory, and the highlight was undoubtledly Kamil Kopúnek’s 89th minute goal. It was his first ever touch of a football in a World Cup finals and earned his country their first ever finals win. Oh, and it knocked the reigning champions out…

Funniest moment
Argentina’s Gabriel Heinze giving a television camera an almighty whack after inadvertently smashing his face into it moments before.

Biggest surprise
Fabio Capello’s use of substitutes during the Germany match. The baffled look on the faces of everybody in the packed southwest London watering hole in which I watched the match when England’s biggest goal-threat Jermain Defoe was replaced by Emile Heskey was hilarious, yet telling.

Biggest disappointment
The reaction to Luis Suarez’s last minute handball against Ghana (above). I felt the way so many fans and pundits were willing to just accept this blatant act of cheating as ‘part of the game’ and the popular insistence that ‘anybody would do it’ is a damning indictment on the modern game. If the punishment isn’t enough to dissuade the offence then the punishment isn’t severe enough. Bring back hanging, or failing that, just award a goal for blatant and deliberate handball on the goalline.

Player of the tournament
Maybe I’m just being contrary, but I felt Bastian Schweinsteiger displayed a consistent level of subtle brilliance as Germany marched to third place. The way he was so willing to sacrifice himself for the team by playing in a more disciplined and withdrawn role than he plays at club level is worthy of high praise (Steven Gerrard take note).

I’m not sure you can look beyond Thomas Mueller. For a player of his age and relative inexperience to so quickly become an integral part of such an impressive football machine is not something you see often. His willingness to support both the fullback and centre forward set him apart from most attackers in the tournament.

Lesson I’ve learned
That honking a vuvuzela at full blast in a small kitchen in an abandoned office building at gone 10 on a Friday evening will make a noise not dissimilar to those heard in Jurassic Park.

Last edited by rondwisan; 17-07-2010 at 08:27 PM..
Old 15-07-2010, 04:55 PM   #6
rondwisan

Next ....

Chris Hunt - Journalist, FourFourTwo.com’s man in South Africa

Best game

Germany 4-0 Argentina. Just to see the look on Maradona’s face at the press conference afterwards. He just didn’t see it coming and he still has no idea why it happened.

Best goal
For the emotion and for the occasion, it would have to be the first goal of the World Cup. Hammered into the net by Siphiwe Tshabalala, it gave South Africa an unexpected lead over Mexico in the opening game. The crowd went crazy and anyone who was in the stadium at the time won’t forget the experience.

Best moment
Frank Lampard’s goal against Germany – well, it was my best moment when he scored it and my worst when the referee continued to play the game without reaching for his whistle.

Funniest moment
When Joan Capdevila went down like an extremely heavy saco de patatas, it was Portuguese defender Costa who took the rap, but the TV replays showed a foot of clear air between to the two players, leading fans around the world to believe that it may have been the work of the ‘elbow of god’.

Biggest surprise
The form of the Germans from their opening game even surprised the majority of their fans in South Africa, who had been conned into thinking they were crap by Joachim Löw. It’s just a shame this brilliant young team didn’t show up when it really mattered against Spain. It promised to be the game of the tournament but ended up an intriguing game of cat and mouse.

Biggest disappointment
The performance of the French, who even managed to give those past masters of infighting, the Dutch, a lesson in how to destroy your team’s chances from the inside.

Player of the tournament
A hard call as several players have unexpectedly shone at this World Cup, but I would say Arjen Robben. He may have missed the opening games, but along with Wesley Sneijder he has been a constant danger and the inspiration behind Holland’s charge to the World Cup final.

Pivotal in Germany’s run through the tournament, my vote would go to Mesut Ozil.

Lesson I’ve learned
That the Dutch have reached the final of the World Cup wearing Nike shirts made from recycled plastic bottles. Apparently it takes eight bottles to make each shirt. Imagine what Johan Cruyff could have done with a shirt made from plastic bottles – although he probably would have demanded one with a different sponsor’s logo on it!

Last edited by rondwisan; 17-07-2010 at 08:28 PM..
Old 15-07-2010, 04:56 PM   #7
rondwisan

Next ....

just say yours ...
Old 15-07-2010, 06:20 PM   #8
rondwisan

berikut catatan singkat para kolumnis Soccernet ...

Highs and lows of the World Cup
Soccernet - July 12, 2010

Here we break down the best and worst parts of the World Cup from all of Soccernet's finest writers.

• Harry Harris
High:
A new winner of the World Cup, a first for Spain, in the first African tournament was the highlight. And Andres Iniesta deserved to score the winner, as one of the world's most gifted midfielders.
Low: Cheats' Charter. Suarez's handball and the celebration that followed, the ball crossing the line, the offside Tevez goal, FIFA waking up to new technology after it distorted the 2010 finals. Also, Messi, Kaka, Rooney and Ronaldo, the world's so-called best forwards scored one between them. The weight of expectation weighed too heavily.

• Richard Jolly
High:
Germany's demolition of Argentina was wonderful: the intelligent application of a perfectly-devised plan, with precocious players such as Thomas Muller and Mesut Ozil providing the highlights. Without winning the World Cup, they changed perceptions of German football.
Low: Some of the criticism levelled at Paraguay was unfair and undeserved. Yes, they rarely scored but, lacking a world-class winger or creative midfielder, the players of a small nation nonetheless displayed a real ethic in the country's finest ever World Cup.

• Phil Ball:
High:
Outside of Spain's first world title, there was a sense, for the first time ever, that the host country mattered. Instead of focusing on WAGs spending obscene amounts on shopping sprees, both the BBC and Spain's TELE 5 tried to show us something of South Africa, its people, its history.
Low: The whole French farce of course, and the inability of over-paid footballers to put their privileged situations into some sort of perspective. I also disliked the Uruguayans' petty reaction to defeat in the semi-final. As they say, get a life.

• Uli Hesse:
High:
Watching other people watch Germany versus Argentina. Some just stared at the screen, absolutely motionless and with their mouth open, as if they had been hypnotised.
Low: Realising that not even the two preposterous refereeing decisions on June 27 (Germany vs England, Argentina vs Mexico) will lead FIFA to completely reconsider its absurd line on instant video replays.

• Roberto Gotta:
High:
The way Germany moved all over the pitch once they had the ball - with Bastian Schweinsteiger and Sami Khedira providing intelligent service from central midfield, the resilience of Diego Forlan, whose endeavour and skills deserve to make him one of the stars of the competition and the clinical finishing of David Villa.
Low: Football is not just what the players do out on the pitch. It is also enriched by the atmosphere, and the horrible vuvuzelas may have made for a typical South African experience but only managed to obliterate the rest, and best, of the stadium experience. No chants or anthems could be heard during the matches.

• Eduardo Alvarez:
High:
The final between two teams that had never won the tournament before. Both sides managed to integrate their offensive approach with the ability to compete, two factors they traditionally struggled to reconcile.
Low: The stubborn refusal of FIFA to increase the use technology. There's too much at stake to keep looking backwards.

• Ernst Bouwes
High:
Wesley Sneijder doing a 'Maradona '94'-celebration after his equaliser against Brazil. The vuvuzela-racket reminded me of the Eastern European sirens from the seventies. How nostalgic!
Low: Because of the bleak football in the first week I never got in the right mood. The whining about technological aids got very boring.

• Paul Marshall:
High:
Kamil Kopunek lobbing reigning champions Italy out of the World Cup and little Slovakia - improbably - into the second round.
Low: Aside from the French farce and the eternal nuisance that is the vuvuzela, seeing many an empty seat inside stadiums was a real let down.

Last edited by rondwisan; 17-07-2010 at 08:31 PM..
Old 15-07-2010, 06:22 PM   #9
rondwisan

Next ...

• Andy Brassell:
High:
Miroslav Klose's second goal against Argentina (Germany's fourth). The best moment from the best team to watch in South Africa, Klose's smooth finish from Mesut Ozil's cross capped a trademark flowing move. A friend of mine watched this in a London pub, and said people stood up to applaud as Klose's shot bulged the net.
Low: Cameroon. Widely expected to be Africa's best hope in the continent's first World Cup, they were hugely disappointing and the first team to be eliminated. Their shock opening loss against Japan was mainly down to a bizarre selection by coach Le Guen which saw Samuel Eto'o on the wing and Alex Song and Achille Emana left on the bench, and they never recovered.

• Sam Kelly
High:
By some distance, being in Montevideo when Uruguay played their first World Cup semi-final in forty years. Everyone was so proud of their team, despite the defeat. It made me wish the English press could have been there too, to get a sense of perspective.
Low: Watching England vs Algeria in a Buenos Aires bar with two good friends - one American, the other Argentine. I probably don't have to describe to you the kind of ribbing I got from the two of them.

• Matthias Krug:
High:
Germany's refreshingly attacking style until the semi-finals, Shakira's Waka Waka dance, as well as the fact that Africa was able to put on a fantastic World Cup finals.
Low: Defensive, cautious football, epitomised by the likes of Italy - surely one of the worst defending champions of all times. And Paul the 'psychic' octopus; no octopus can know so much about football.

• James Martin
High:
Hard to think of a moment more exciting than Landon Donovan's 91st minute goal against Algeria that sent USA into the second round when they had looked like being sent home.
Low: Refs seemed to be hallucinating in the penalty area all tournament, but no call was worse than Frank Lampard's goal that wasn't given.

• Andrew Hush
High:
Whether it was scoring or setting up goals, or taking corners and free-kicks, Diego Forlan did it all for Uruguay. Against Netherlands, he even donned the captain's armband before almost inspiring his country to an unlikely final berth.
Low: The lack of to-and-fro. Too few teams came back to win games in which they had trailed. By and large, if you took the lead, you won and that created a depressing sense of inevitability.

• Jayaditya Gupta
High:
Bastian Schweinsteiger vs Argentina. There was plenty of talk about the kids but the 25-year-old Bayern Munich midfielder, with 81 caps under his belt, bossed this show like a true seasoned pro.
Low: England vs Algeria. My third goalless draw in four games; I have never seen a team play so much below their potential. And Algeria were not exactly sizzling either.

• Andrew Warshaw
High:
Germany's perfect demolition of Argentina, a collective display of defensive togetherness, midfield supremacy and attacking ruthlessness which defined Joachim Low's tactical ability and defied his country's traditions of efficiency and just doing enough to win. A special mention too for New Zealand's memorable campaign. Who would have thought they'd end up unbeaten?
Low: A combination of Lampard's goal-that-wasn't, France's ugly dressing room spat and, most of all, Ghana's gut-wrenching elimination that took the stuffing out of the entire tournament.

• Firdose Moonda
High:
A country with a smaller population than that of Johannesburg rose to number four in the world. Tiny Uruguay dazzled on the big stage and each of Diego Forlan's five goals were breathtaking.
Low: Cameroon's Indomitable Lions meowed like kittens, Nigeria's Super Eagles' wings were violently clipped, Ivory Coast's Elephants only stomped on North Korea, Algeria were outfoxed and Bafana Bafana's boys never became men. Africa's teams sorely disappointed.

Last edited by rondwisan; 17-07-2010 at 08:32 PM..
Old 15-07-2010, 06:28 PM   #10
rondwisan

Next ....

• Martin Williamson
High:
The sheer child-like joy on the faces of rank outsiders New Zealand when Winston Reid equalised deep into added time to earn his country their first World Cup point. And coming after Australia's drubbing by Germany, the headline in next day's Sydney Morning Herald: "Australasia 1 Slovakia 1".
Low: The World Cup was ruined by a commercial decision to go with the Jabulani ball. The abiding memory of 2010 will be endless overhit crosses and shots sailing miles over the crossbar. It might be technically brilliant but it was practically useless.

• John Brewin:
High:
The drama of the closing minutes and subsequent penalties during Uruguay vs Ghana were unmatchable. Suarez's handball, Gyan's inexplicable spot-kick miss and then the same player's heroism in taking the first penalty of the shootout. And Sebastian Abreu's deciding penalty capped it in nerveless style. It was a privilege to be there.
Low: The first arrival at Ellis Park of many more to come brought with it a sense of danger that has thankfully not been repeated since. The sight of stadium security staff on a walk-out strike and in full insurrectionary mood was troubling both from a moral and a safety point of view.

• Jon Carter
High:
Paul the octopus and the giant dung beetle from the opening ceremony off the pitch, while on it, New Zealand gave everything - both human and animal -a shock when they drew all of their three group games, making history in the process.
Low: The embarrassment of France and Italy, as former finalists, and the failure of the African nations (barring Ghana) to advance from the groups. Some horribly dull games - Uruguay v France and Japan vs Paraguay - will not live long in the memory.

• Dale Johnson:
High:
John Terry finally being exposed for who he truly is at his famous press conference. Rather than a leader of men, a leader of no one but himself. Let's hope Fabio Capello ends his England career before next month's friendly against Hungary. That, and Siphiwe Tshabalala's superb goal for South Africa in the curtain raiser.
Low: The constant drone of the vuvuzela which, contrary to popular belief, is not the sound of sport in South Africa. Which is why it has now been banned by rugby. I'd prefer to be stung by a swarm of bees.

• Dom Raynor
High:
Joachim Low's attack-minded Germany breathed life into a tournament that was in danger of being suffocated by massed defences. Their four-goal dissections of both England and Argentina were a joy to watch.
Low: Mark van Bommel's rule-bending performances.

• Tom Adams:
High:
The mad final minutes at Soccer City when Uruguay denied Ghana a place in the semi-finals. Suarez's handball, Gyan missing a penalty before scoring in the shootout and Sebastian Abreu applying a cheeky coup de grace. Pure, unmitigated drama.
Low: England vs Algeria. A dismal, dismal performance that exposed the mental frailties and technical ineptitude eating away at the heart of Fabio Capello's England. A complete waste of 90 minutes, topped off by Wayne Rooney insulting the supporters that had travelled so far to watch him play.

• Brett Taylor:
High:
The jovial South African people will provide the lasting memory of this tournament and Siphiwe Tshabalala's goal in the opener was the single moment that best captured their support and catapulted their joyful enthusiasm to new heights
Low: Luis Suarez's goal-line handball was a horrible moment for everyone outside of Uruguay. I don't blame the player himself - anyone would have done the same - but the subsequent result was just one of those unjust set of circumstances football can throw up that leaves you feeling sick in your stomach

• Mark Lomas
High:
Ghana reaching the quarter-finals was hugely important for African football in what was an otherwise disappointing showing for the continent in South Africa. Asamoah Gyan's last-ditch penalty miss was heartbreaking but the Black Stars players were rightly treated like heroes on their return home.
Low: France's farcical exit was an utter embarrassment and by deciding to strike the players disgraced themselves, but worse, shamed the football-following public at home. A complete shambles.

• Robin Hackett
High:
Siphiwe Tshabalala's goal against Mexico. The opening game provided excitement and hope, with the hosts and underdogs putting in an attacking performance and receiving due reward through Tshabalala's spectacular strike. If only all the underdogs had played with such spirit.
Low: England vs Algeria. All that was disappointing epitomised: a team set up solely to defend, a disjointed and dispassionate England side failing to create chances and one of the pre-tournament stars - Wayne Rooney - turning in his worst performance in years.

Last edited by rondwisan; 17-07-2010 at 08:33 PM..

(View-All Members who have read this thread : 1
dulsun