United Indonesia - Manchester United Indonesia Supporters Club
Register
Go Back   United Indonesia - Manchester United Indonesia Supporters Club > OUTSIDE UNITED > Debate Room

Old 07-10-2014, 08:53 AM   #1
troy andreas
min tolong ket sekum diremove.

Thanked 1,947 Times in 1,102 Posts
Mentioned: 273 Post(s)
troy andreas has a brilliant futuretroy andreas has a brilliant futuretroy andreas has a brilliant futuretroy andreas has a brilliant futuretroy andreas has a brilliant futuretroy andreas has a brilliant futuretroy andreas has a brilliant futuretroy andreas has a brilliant futuretroy andreas has a brilliant futuretroy andreas has a brilliant futuretroy andreas has a brilliant future

Visit troy andreas's Twitter
Default The story of Roy Keane, based on his autobiography

Roy Keane lifts lid on Sir Alex Ferguson bust-up in new book
By Paul Hirst

Roy Keane has revealed a sweary bust-up with Sir Alex Ferguson and Carlos Queiroz led to his acrimonious departure from Manchester United.

Contents of Keane's incendiary autobiography The Second Half were published by national newspapers online on Monday after a Tesco store in Burnage made a huge blunder by starting to sell the book three days early.

Keane writes about a drink-fuelled fight with former team-mate Peter Schmeichel, gives his opinion on the current United squad, and details the events that led up to his exit from Old Trafford in November 2005.

Ferguson claimed in his autobiography, published last year, that Keane's infamous interview on MUTV, in which he apparently tore into his team-mates for their performance in the 4-1 loss to Middlesbrough, was the point at which he decided to release the midfielder, whom he signed from Nottingham Forest in 1993.

In The Second Half, Keane says his comments in the interview were overblown by the club, whom he accuses of leaking the tape.

"The idea that I was in the studio ranting and raving, no... I was told the interview was being pulled. They couldn't believe what I had said. I didn't think it was too bad. I thought everyone was overreacting," Keane was quoted as saying by national newspapers.

Keane's emotions then hit boiling point when Ferguson's assistant manager Queiroz heard about the interview and accused him of being disloyal.

Keane writes about the row with the Portuguese: "I said, 'Don't you ******* talk to me about loyalty, Carlos. You left this club after 12 months a few years ago for the Real Madrid job. Don't you dare question my loyalty."

In a show of clear subordination against Ferguson, Keane then directed his ire towards the Scot after he stepped in to stop the row between his assistant and captain.

"You as well gaffer. We need ******* more from you," Keane claims he said to the United manager. "We need a bit more, gaffer. We're slipping behind other teams."

Keane later apologised to Ferguson and Queiroz, but he says he now regrets doing so.

Keane writes: "Now I kind of wish I hadn't (apologised). Afterwards I was thinking, 'I'm not sure why I ******* apologised.' I just wanted to do the right thing."

When Keane was called into Ferguson's office in November 2005, he says he knew the manager was going to inform he wanted him out of the club.

Keane writes: "I said to Ferguson, 'Can I play for somebody else?' And he said, 'Yeah you can, cos we're tearing up your contract' So I thought, All right - I'll get fixed up. I knew there'd be clubs in for me when the news got out. I said, 'Yeah - I think we have come to the end.' I just thought, '*******' p****' - and I stood up and went 'Yeah. I'm off."'

Keane, who moved to Celtic to play out the final five months of his career, claims his departure from United cost him a lot of money because he was due to receive a £1million bonus if he had played in 50 per cent of the first-team games in that 2005-06 season.

Keane clashed with many of his team-mates during a 12-and-a-half year spell at Old Trafford in which he played for the club 480 times.

The biggest row appears to have come while United were on their pre-season tour of Asia in 1998.

Schmeichel, who played alongside Keane for six years, confronted the midfielder in the team hotel in Hong Kong after the pair had been on a night out.

Keane was apparently so drunk that he had to rely on team-mate Nicky Butt to recount to him exactly what happened the morning after.

"Butty had refereed the fight," Keane writes. "(He said) Peter had grabbed me, and I'd head-butted him - we'd been fighting for ages."

Keane says he did not like the Dane as he felt he was regularly trying to draw attention to himself with his actions in certain matches.

The Irishman claims former United forward Sir Bobby Charlton, who would have been 61 at the time, was woken up by the fight.

Keane claims Ferguson branded the pair "a disgrace to the club" after hearing about the scrap, which apparently happened on the 27th floor of the hotel.

In the book it is claimed Schmeichel tried to cover up the fight by claiming at a press conference that the black eye Keane gave him was inflicted during a training session.

Keane also hits out at Rio Ferdinand for missing a drug test, criticises Ferguson over his legal dispute regarding the Rock of Gibraltar horse, and also claims he does not regret making the tackle that ended Alf-Inge Haaland's career, in the book.

HTML Code:
http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/roy-keane-lifts-lid-sir-7892913

"setial masa ada orangnya, setiap orang ada masanya."
troy andreas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 08:56 AM   #2
troy andreas

troy andreas has a brilliant futuretroy andreas has a brilliant futuretroy andreas has a brilliant futuretroy andreas has a brilliant futuretroy andreas has a brilliant futuretroy andreas has a brilliant futuretroy andreas has a brilliant futuretroy andreas has a brilliant futuretroy andreas has a brilliant futuretroy andreas has a brilliant futuretroy andreas has a brilliant future

Default Re: The story of Roy Keane, based on his autobiography

Roy Keane reveals time he head-butted Peter Schmeichel in hotel fight with Man United goalkeeper
By men newsdesk

Roy Keane has admitted to head-butting Peter Schmeichel during a fight which led Sir Alex Ferguson to tell them both they had disgraced Manchester United.

In his autobiography, The Second Half, to be published this week, Keane claims he and Schmeichel engaged in a booze-fuelled bust-up during the 1998 per-season tour of Asia.

Keane revealed that afterwards, Ferguson had fumed the fight had woken up Sir Bobby Charlton.

Keane said: "I had a bust-up with Peter when we were on a pre-season tour of Asia, in 1998, just after I came back from my cruciate injury. I think we were in Hong Kong. There was drink involved.

"There'd been a little bit of tension between us over the years, for football reasons. Peter would come out shouting at players, and I felt sometimes he was playing up to the crowd: 'Look at me!'

"He was probably doing it for concentration levels, but I felt he did it too often, as if he was telling the crowd: 'Look what I have to deal with'.

"He said: 'I've had enough of you, It's time we sorted this out.' So I said 'Okay' and we had a fight. It felt like 10 minutes. There was a lot of noise - Peter's a big lad.

"I woke up the next morning. I kind of vaguely remembered the fight. My hand was really sore and one of my fingers was bent backwards.

"The manager had a go at us as we were getting on the bus, and people were going on about a fight in the hotel the night before. It started coming back to me - the fight between me and Peter."

Keane tells how he had to rely on Nicky Butt for an account of the fight before Fergie called him and Schmeichel into his office to give them the hairdryer treatment.

Keane writes: "In the meantime, Nicky Butt had been filling me in on what had happened the night before. Butty had refereed the fight. Anyway, Peter had grabbed me, I'd head-butted him - we'd been fighting for ages.

"At the press conference, Peter took his sunglasses off. He had a black eye. The questions came at him 'Peter, what happened to your eye?'

"He said ' I just got an elbow last night, in training'. And that was the end of it.

"The first day back at the training ground, the manager pulled myself and Peter into his office.

"He knew exactly where we'd fought - I think he mentioned the 27th floor. He told us that we were a disgrace to the club, and that we'd woken Bobby Charlton up, that Bobby had come out of his room and seen us.

"Peter took responsibility for the fight, which was good. I admired him for it. But Sir Bobby could have tried to break it up."

HTML Code:
http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/roy-keane-reveals-time-head-butted-7891041

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to troy andreas For This Useful Post:
Old 07-10-2014, 09:04 AM   #3
troy andreas

Roy Keane: Sir Alex Ferguson wanted me to wear No 7 shirt instead of David Beckham
By JAMES ANDREW FOR MAILONLINE

• Sir Alex Ferguson did his best to stop David Beckham inheriting the iconic No 7 shirt after Eric Cantona retired
  • Keane inherited the United captaincy from the Frenchman, and reveals in his new autobiography The Second Half, that United boss Ferguson wanted him to take the No 7 shirt as well to stop Beckham getting it
  • Keane didn't want it and told Ferguson to give the No 7 shirt to Beckham

Sir Alex Ferguson did his best to stop David Beckham inheriting the iconic No 7 shirt at Manchester United after Eric Cantona retired, according to Roy Keane.

Cantona shocked Manchester United when he quit the club and football altogether in 1997 and had worn the famous No 7 shirt since his arrival back in 1992.

Keane inherited the United captaincy from the Frenchman, and the former midfielder reveals in his new autobiography The Second Half, that United boss Ferguson wanted him to take the No 7 shirt as well to stop Beckham getting it.

Keane refused and Beckham, who had worn the No 10 shirt the season before, did take over the No 7 shirt which had previously been worn by George Best, Steve Coppell and Bryan Robson.

Keane said: 'The captaincy is important, but squad numbers can have an importance. At United, ‘7’ was the iconic number.

‘When Eric Cantona left there was a debate about who was going to be the next captain. I was quite relaxed about it.

‘But there was his number, too - '7'. Bryan Robson had had it before Cantona and, of course, it went back to Georgie Best.

‘The manager pulled me into his office and said that he wanted me to wear the '7'.

'I said, ‘No, I’m not that bothered.'

'And he said, "I know Becks will f****** want it and I don’t want him to have it."

‘The little power battles.

‘I’d had ‘16’ since I’d signed for the club. I was comfortable with ‘16’. I think it might have kept me on my toes, being outside the ‘1’ to ‘11’. I didn’t think that I was a number ‘7’.

‘I said, ‘Give it to Becks.’

‘Becks got it, and it suited him - and Cantona. Ronaldo had it after Becks.’

HTML Code:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2782987/Roy-Keane-Sir-Alex-Ferguson-wanted-wear-No-7-shirt-instead-David-Beckham.html#ixzz3FQ80tRyo

Old 07-10-2014, 09:08 AM   #4
troy andreas

Roy Keane: Brian Clough was a better boss than Sir Alex Ferguson... Fergie was just ruthless, all business and lacked warmth
  • Keane played for Clough for three years at Nottingham Forest
  • Midfielder then moved to Manchester United for then British record fee
  • Keane was Ferguson's captain at United, winning seven Premier League titles, four FA Cups and one Champions League
  • Keane and Ferguson fell out after former's infamous MUTV interview

Roy Keane says Brian Clough was a better manager than Sir Alex Ferguson.

Keane was signed by Clough for Nottingham Forest in 1990 and spent three years at the club before Ferguson broke the then British transfer record to bring him to Old Trafford for £3.75million.

Keane would go on to become Manchester United captain and win seven Premier League titles, four FA Cups and one Champions League under Ferguson.

But, in his new autobiography The Second Half, Keane says he still rates Clough as the better of the two, claiming Ferguson was 'pure business' and lacked warmth.

'I worked under two great managers and I put Brian Clough ahead of Alex Ferguson for a simple reason. What was the most important thing in my football career? Brian Clough signing me. That kick started everything,' he writes.

'Different managers, both brilliant. I think Clough’s warmth was genuine. I think with Sir Alex Ferguson it was pure business – everything is business. If he was being nice I would think: ‘This is business, this’.

'He was driven and ruthless. That lack of warmth was his strength. United was a much bigger club than Forest but his coldness made him successful.
'His message was the same. I was never once confused by one of his team talks or his tactics or his training. The message was always fresh. I must have heard him talk 500 times and I always thought: ‘Yeah, that was good’.

'I think that’s amazing. As a manager I would take Clough’s warmth and Ferguson’s ruthlessness and put them in the mix – but also add my own traits.'

Keane's relationship with the most decorated manager in English football deteriorated towards the end of his career at United.

Keane, now assistant manager at Aston Villa, left United in 2005 after he criticised his team-mates to MUTV after a 4-1 defeat to Middlesborough.
That explosive interview - which Keane describes as 'not too bad' in his new book - led to a furious training ground bust up with Ferguson, assistant boss Carlos Queiroz and goalkeeper Edwin van der Sar.

Queiroz accused Keane of showing a lack of loyalty to his team-mates and when Ferguson stepped in to diffuse the situation, Keane said: 'You as well gaffer. We need f****** more from you. We need a bit more, gaffer. We're slipping behind other teams.'

A few weeks later, Keane was left out of a reserve game and when he questioned Ferguson about it he was told he could leave the club.
The pair's relationship has never recovered and Keane described it as 'non existent' in an ITV documentary last year - in which he also said 'Brian Clough, without a doubt' was the best manager he played for.

He added: 'I never thought for a second that I was more important than the manager. Absolute nonsense.

'There were no surprises (in Ferguson's new book, which came out in 2013). He accused me of managing United behind his back, but I managed the dressing room.'

On the pair's relationship Keane said: 'Non existent. Nothing surprises me these days with that man.

'Control and power, that's how he works. He is still striving for it now even though he isn't the manager. There is a massive ego involved.'
In contrast, Keane has always spoken fondly of Clough. While he has accused Ferguson of not ‘knowing the meaning of loyalty’, he says Clough always treated him with respect.

He said: ‘A brilliant, brilliant manager. The man was a genius, he was good to me, good to my family, he never lied to me, he treated me with respect and gave me time off when I was homesick.

“You look what Brian Clough achieved and it’s scary. Winning the European Cup back to back with a club like Forest, unbelievable. I don’t think we’ll ever appreciate what the man did.’

HTML Code:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2782926/Roy-Keane-Brian-Clough-better-boss-Sir-Alex-Ferguson-Fergie-just-ruthless-business-lacked-warmth.html#ixzz3FQ8yw77A

Old 07-10-2014, 09:11 AM   #5
troy andreas

Roy Keane reveals he profited from controversial Glazer Manchester United takeover in latest book disclosure
  • Roy Keane says the Glazer takeover in 2005 earned him money
  • Former United midfielder had shares in the club as part of his contract
  • The latest disclosure in the former captain's book released this week
  • Keane said: 'The Glazers coming in was worth a few bob to me'
  • The takeover was unpopular with fans of the Old Trafford club

Roy Keane has revealed he profited from the controversial takeover of Manchester United by the Glazer family in 2005.

The former United skipper revealed in his book The Second Half, that he had shares in the club as part of his contract and that the takeover earned him money.

In the latest startling revelation from his book, Keane said: 'From the players’ point of view, it didn’t bother us too much. I had a few shares in the club as part of my contract. So the Glazers coming in was worth a few bob to me.'

Malcolm Glazer, who died last May aged 85, took United in to private ownership nine years ago via a highly-leveraged buy-out, plunging the club more than £500million in debt.

Many United fans will always blame Glazer for the money his family’s company have drained from Old Trafford over the years to service their enormous debts.

Glazer’s aggressive pursuit and purchase of United changed the club forever, leading one group of fans to breakaway to set up non-league outfit FC United while another launched the ‘Green and Gold’ campaign that tried so hard to drive the Americans out four years ago.

During the Glazer years, however, United still managed to win five Barclays Premier League titles and one Champions League.

HTML Code:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2782718/Roy-Keane-reveals-profited-controversial-Glazer-Manchester-United-takeover-latest-book-revelation.html#ixzz3FQAMoV26

Old 07-10-2014, 09:13 AM   #6
troy andreas

Roy Keane admits he regrets not moving to Real Madrid when he had the chance... after revealing he received the offer while he was sat on the TOILET!
  • The former Manchester United midfielder was given the chance to move to La Liga in 2005
  • Keane received the offer from former Real sporting director Emilio Butragueno while he was on the loo
  • Ex-midfielder turned down the transfer and ended up going to Celtic instead
  • Keane claims 'fear of the unknown' stopped him moving to Spain in the latest revelation in the Irishman's tell all book

Roy Keane received an offer to play for Real Madrid while he was sat on the toilet - but turned it down because he was 'fearful of the unknown'.
Ex-Real Madrid sporting director Emilio Butragueno phoned the former Manchester United skipper in 2005 as he was approaching the end of his career.

The Irishman took the call when the was on the loo after agent Michael Kennedy had set up the opportunity, but in the end moved to Celtic after bringing his 12-year Old Trafford career to an end.

In the latest extract from his explosive autobiography, Keane said: 'Michael had given me a heads-up that Emilio Butragueno would be phoning, so I took my mobile phone everywhere with me.

'And - how's your luck - he rang me while I was sitting on the toilet.
'He said: 'Look Roy, we'll be glad to have you.' The club's board just had to sanction the deal.'

After leaving Manchester United in acrimonious circumstances, Keane moved north of the border to join Celtic, the team he supported as a boy.
But the midfielder lasted just six months in Scotland, making 13 appearances and scoring one goal, before he retired on medical advice.
The abrasive ex-player thinks he took a negative approach in not taking Real Madrid up on their offer, and claims it could have even prolonged his career.

Keane said: 'I should have appreciated Real's offer more. It was the most attractive challenge in front of me but I didn't accept it.

'In hindsight, I should have said to myself: 'Go, go to Spain, live there for a year and a half, learn the language, learn the culture.'

'I took a negative approach. The weather and the training might have given me another lease of life, another two years of playing.
'As much as anything else, it was fear that decided me - fear of the unknown.'

The former Nottingham Forest player also said he didn't want to go to Spain just for the ride.

At 34 years old, Keane admitted he was 'struggling physically'.
He added: 'It's no good playing for a club, it's about having a big influence.

'Real Madrid might just have wanted someone to do a job, sit in the middle of the park for a few games. But I wanted to go in and have an effect on a team.'

HTML Code:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2783036/Roy-Keane-admits-regrets-not-moving-Real-Madrid-chance-revealing-received-offer-sat-TOILET.html

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to troy andreas For This Useful Post:
Old 08-10-2014, 09:13 AM   #7
troy andreas

Gibson: Sorry Roy, Fergie’s alright by me

By Brendan O’Brien
Darron Gibson and Roy Keane both left Old Trafford during Alex Ferguson’s time in charge of Manchester United, but the Derry man doesn’t go along with his Cork counterpart’s description of their old boss as ruthless.

The younger of the Irish midfielders made his debut for United in October of 2005, less than a week before Keane’s acrimonious departure, before ultimately following him out the exit door in January 2012 when he signed for Everton.

Highly-rated as a youngster with United, Gibson never lived up that promise and had fallen well down the pecking order by the time he left, but he had no desire to add to the criticisms aimed at Ferguson by Keane in his latest book.

“Different players have different views,” he said when asked about Keane’s description of Ferguson as ruthless. “Obviously Roy saw it a different way than I saw it. But Roy was there an awful lot longer than I was.”

He added: “Obviously Sir Alex brought me in and gave me a chance so I’ve a lot to be thankful to him for. Roy Keane was my idol growing up watching football. They were big influences on my career and it’s nice to be working with one now.”

For Gibson, it must be nice to be working with anybody that isn’t a physiotherapist. Only now does he feel fully match fit after a 10-month lay-off caused by the serious knee injury he picked up on Ireland duty late last year.

Roberto Martinez has taken a softly-softly approach to his return to arms, with the player featuring in only four of Everton’s 10 games thus far this season and with just six minutes of Premier League action in total, against Crystal Palace, banked.

Still, two 90-minute outings in the last two-and-a-half weeks, against Swansea in the Capital One Cup and Krasnodar in the Europa League, represents progress and he is adamant that it is performances not just appearances that are his focus now.

“It’s been hard. Coming back and having to fight for my place has been hard. I knew I would have to fight for it, but I didn’t realise mentally it would be so tough. But I’m gonna keep pushing, keep going until I’m starting.”

Martin O’Neill may well be more eager to thrust the midfielder back into the fray, given the absence of club team-mate James McCarthy from the Ireland squad to take on Gibraltar on Saturday and Germany three days later.

The Republic’s opening Group D performance away to Georgia was criticised heavily despite the win, but the side at least demonstrated a determination to play football on the deck again after the Trapattoni era and that should suit a man of Gibson’s talents.

That said, it is a two-game stretch that will ask very different questions of the players who will face a side of unranked nobodies at home before then taking on the world champions on their own turf.

“It might seem strange from your point of view, but not from our point of view. It is just two games and we have to get results from both games. We aren’t really thinking about one team being better than the other. It is about Saturday and then Tuesday.

“I’m sure we’ll do the same thing leading up to Saturday’s game as we will leading up to Tuesday’s game. We will go through how they play, how they defend set-pieces, how they attack set-pieces and we’ll deal with it the same way.”

Gibson will need little instruction on the Germans, who count his former United club-mate and goalkeeper Ron-Robert Zieler in their squad, given he watched pretty much every game of last summer’s World Cup.

And he availed of the opportunity to dig a little deeper a month ago when he spoke to another former United colleague, Darren Fletcher, about Scotland’s narrow 2-1 defeat to Joachim Low’s side in Dortmund.

“He said they can be beat,” Gibson of Fletcher.

“Maybe they just played well or Germany played bad, I don’t know, but we are going to go into the game focused and try to get something out of it.”

HTML Code:
http://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/soccer/gibson-sorry-roy-fergies-alright-by-me-290362.html?

Old 08-10-2014, 11:30 AM   #8
troy andreas

Roy Keane slams Manchester United's Class of '92 claiming 'their role at the club has been exaggerated' while revealing Paul Scholes has 'more of an edge' than people think
By CHARLIE SKILLEN FOR MAILONLINE
  • Roy Keane hits out at Class of '92 as former Manchester United midfielder claims the group have 'become a brand'
  • Keane also shares his view on Paul Scholes, who he believes has 'more of an edge to him' than people think
  • 'Scholesy was a top top player but I still don’t fall for the boy next door image,' Keane said
  • In his autobiography,The Second Half, Keane says the role of the Class of '92 has been 'exaggerated'

Roy Keane has hit out at Manchester United's famous 'class of '92' by saying their importance to the club's dominance of English football has been overstated.

United's legendary youth side that won the FA Youth Cup in 1992 contained the likes of Ryan Giggs, David Beckham, Paul Scholes, Nicky Butt, Gary Neville and Phil Neville; all became vital to later success at Old Trafford.

The group of players took their story to the silver screen, releasing a film last year on their rise to stardom. But Keane, in his new autobiographyThe Second Half, airs his distaste for the 'brand' of the group.

He also uncovered a different side to Scholes, who has always been revered for his squeaky-clean image off the field.

'Scholesy was a top top player but I still don’t fall for the boy next door image,' Keane said. 'Or that he’s dead humble. He has more of an edge to him. Everyone thinks he lives in a council flat.'

With almost 4,000 senior matches for United and close to 100 major trophies between them, Beckham and Co clearly delivered on their promise as the most talented set of Red Devils players since the Busby Babes in the 1950s, but Keane believes the Class of '92 'brand' has slightly overtaken the team's own success in that period.

Keane adds: 'The Class of ’92 – all good players but their role at the club has been exaggerated.

'The Class of ’92 seems to have grown its own legs. It has become a brand. It’s as if they were a team away from a team and they are not shy of plugging in to it.

However, the Corkman clearly still felt happy to be part of a team that included the most successful United youth graduates to date, 'But we all had the same aims. We all had the same hunger.'

Quote:
IRISHMAN ON CURRENT MAN UNITED DRESSING ROOM IN THE SECOND HALF

'I wonder about the current United dressing room. When a manager like Sir Alex Ferguson is replaced the new man needs a helping hand. Does that mean every player should like him? No.

'But I look at the current players and they should be doing a lot better. Not liking a manager can never be an excuse for not going out and doing your best.

'Looking at what happened to David Moyes, I can only conclude that he didn’t have a strong dressing room. He had a weak dressing room.'
Keane and the Class of '92 became the most successful side in the club's rich history as Ferguson's side completed the Treble in 1999, becoming the first English club to achieve such a feat.

The Red Devils went undefeated for 33 games in all competitions before producing the most dramatic of Champions League comebacks against Bayern Munich - a final which Keane was forced to miss through suspension.

Speaking about the talented generation, Ferguson said: 'I have been fortunate to work with many exceptional young players, but the Class of 92 was unique. For so many of them to stay together and succeed at the highest level is a great tribute to their talent and this club’s belief in the power of youth.

'I am convinced that no group of players will ever make such an impact on the English game as those boys have done – and continue to do.'

Quote:
KEANE ON HIS TV WORK IN THE SECOND HALF

'Once we were at Juventus – they were playing Chelsea. We were standing at the corner flag and Adrian (Chiles) was next to me. He goes: "This is great isn’t it?". I went: "I used to play in these games Adrian". I wasn’t being cocky.

'It’s about justification, what you stand for. When I was at United I was getting paid good money but I could go: "Yeah, but I'm giving it back to you". I didn’t feel that way with this TV work. It’s an easy gig. I don’t like easy gigs. When I heard: "I liked your commentary last night". I knew I was only talking bulls*** like the rest of them. Hopefully my bulls*** was a bit better. I wanted to do something that excited me. TV work didn’t excite me.

'I liked Adrian and Lee Dixon, though. What I really enjoyed was the company. I liked meeting people, old players like Liverpool’s Jan Molby. Some United fans saw us together and one of them said: “Why the f*** are you talking to him?”. I felt like saying: “I will speak to who I f***ing want to!"'
HTML Code:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2783302/Roy-Keane-SLAMS-Manchester-United-s-Class-92.html

Old 10-10-2014, 11:32 AM   #9
zudomiriku
Happy New Year 2023

Thanked 1,785 Times in 921 Posts
Mentioned: 274 Post(s)
zudomiriku has a reputation beyond reputezudomiriku has a reputation beyond reputezudomiriku has a reputation beyond reputezudomiriku has a reputation beyond reputezudomiriku has a reputation beyond reputezudomiriku has a reputation beyond reputezudomiriku has a reputation beyond reputezudomiriku has a reputation beyond reputezudomiriku has a reputation beyond reputezudomiriku has a reputation beyond reputezudomiriku has a reputation beyond repute

Roy Keane: Sir Alex Ferguson made millions, got a statue and a stand named after him... to criticise those players who brought him success was wrong

* Keane gave brutal assessment of Sir Alex Ferguson at book launch in Dublin
* He wanted to give his response to 'lies' told by Ferguson in his book
* Former Manchester United midfielder said he was 'not sure' if he would ever forgive his old manager
* Keane used the words 'nonsense' and 'lies' throughout press conference

Roy Keane did not waste his words. His book The Second Half was an opportunity to respond to the 'lies', with the clear implication being that some of them had been told by Sir Alex Ferguson in the book he published last year.

If we thought Keane had already had his say on Ferguson in the book, we were very much mistaken. In the 15-minute press conference he gave at the Aviva Stadium here in Dublin on Thursday afternoon came a far more brutal assessment of his former manager at Manchester United.

'Nonsense' and 'lies' were words he used repeatedly and his greatest complaint was the way, in his view, Ferguson criticised not just him but the United team-mates who brought the club so much success. Players, Keane said, who taught him more than any manager he had worked with.

Roy Keane was at the Aviva Stadium in Dublin on Thursday to promote his autobiography The Second Half

The former Manchester United and Republic of Ireland midfielder is mobbed by the world's media on Thursday

The Second Half is Keane's latest autobiography. He released his first book back in 2002

Keane, sporting his now customary beard, presents his new book to the world's press at the Aviva Stadium

He was asked if he would ever forgive Ferguson. 'Good question,' he said. 'Not sure. Football's a small world and eventually you think you might cross paths again.

'The problem I had, when you're writing and reflecting on something … we had our disagreement … but it's afterwards when people start coming out with all sorts of nonsense. We had a great team that entertained a lot of people. So to criticise people like that, not just me, people who brought him a lot of success, I thought it was wrong.'

And then the killer line from Keane. 'He made his millions, got his statue, got a stand named after him,' he said. 'But to criticise people who brought him success was just wrong.'

He said he wanted to defend himself but also the players he had so much admiration for.

'The people who helped me most were my team-mates,' he said. 'Players like Stuart Pearce, Steve Bruce, Gary Pallister. I learnt the most from them, these boys who you are actually in battle with. I think managers get too much credit and too much criticism when things do go wrong.

'They were great lads. Winning trophies. For people to try and tarnish that. Have little digs. You have to come out fighting. Enough's enough.'

Still sporting that beard – he said he had been 'lazy' but offered to shave it off should the woman who asked the question request it – he said he was reluctant to write another book at first.

'I had no real plans to write a book to be honest, and I had a lot of offers,' he said. 'But some people telling a pack of lies about me.

'It was a chance for me to reflect on certain things. I think it's quite upbeat as well. Some good stories. Some great days. And I worked with some great lads. It's not all about falling out with people. Over the course of my career I actually don't think I fell out with a lot of people.'

When asked about his beard, the Republic of Ireland and Aston Villa No 2 said he was 'lazy'

Is it an account of the real Roy Keane? 'I don't know about the real me because you're always going to hide some parts of your character,' he said.

But he seemed almost paranoid with 'the lies', even claiming the audience of journalists was peppered with friends of Ferguson. 'I know there are people in this room who have got mates who tell lies about me,' he said. 'You have to defend yourself.

'Over the (MUTV) video there was a lot of nonsense coming out. A lot of propaganda. This video. This leaked video. It was nonsense. You ask any of the players that watched it. None of them had an issue.

'Ferguson has pals in the media. I've got them here today. I can spot them a mile away. And they were just lies. Just lies. I waited but now I have had my say.'

Quote:
READ THE FULL TRANSCRIPT FROM ROY KEANE'S PRESS CONFERENCE

Does Roddy Doyle capture your voice?

'I think so. I have worked with Roddy, I know what a good writer he is. I had no real plans to write a book, to be honest with you, plenty of offers over the last few years, particularly when people were telling a pack of lies about me over the years.

'But when I met Roddy, I thought, "Yeah, we'll go for it". I think Roddy said at the start, it was quite difficult after he recorded lots of stuff to understand what I was saying with my accent.

'But he got there eventually and it was really enjoyable, I have to say, and I am pleased with it.

Has the book been represented unfairly so far?

'With the leak last Monday, obviously people have got snippets from the book and it's obviously grabbed one or two headlines, as you would expect.

'But I think the book is a fair reflection on the situations I have had over the last couple of years, whether it be with players or managers, and I have been pretty harsh, probably, with myself in a lot of the situations, the mistakes I made.

'But when I did the book, it wasn't for people to like the book, it was just about me getting a chance to reflect on certain things. If people like it, they do; if they don't, then so be it.

'But I think it's quite upbeat as well. There's some good stories – I had some great days. Obviously people will focus on the negative stuff, whether it be the World Cup and obviously at United, but I had some great days and worked with some great lads, and hopefully that comes across as well.

'It's not all about falling out with people. Strangely enough in the course of the book, or the course of my career, I actually don't think I fell out with that many people.

'But obviously the ones I did were obviously highlighted. But if people like it, they like it.'

Will you ever forgive Ferguson?

'[Pause]. Good question. I'm not sure, I'm not sure football is a small world and eventually, you will cross paths with people again.

'Whether I would ever bump into him or not, whether it be at a game or sometimes there are conferences going on...

'The problem, I suppose, I had and one of the reasons when you are writing stuff and you are reflecting on it, is that when you have worked with somebody for such a long time – and obviously we had our disagreements and I departed, and I have no problems with that, it's fine.

'It's afterwards when people start coming out with all sorts of nonsense. For Alex Ferguson, not just to criticise myself, but other players who were part of a team that brought some good days to lots of supporters, for him to criticise that when you think of what he made out of it – he made millions of pounds out of it...

'He got his statues, he's got his stand named after him – to come back and criticise...

'I said at the time, I wasn't too bothered about myself, but to criticise people who brought him success was just ridiculous.

'Will I ever forgive him? I don't know. Listen, I don't know. We'll see if we ever cross paths again. I'm sure we will - cross paths, I mean.'

Will you meet Ferguson tonight – a chance to build bridges/beard?

'We are preparing for the game [Republic of Ireland's match against Gibraltar] on Saturday. I know people thought this might be the distraction, but I am working with professional players and professional people and this is no big deal doing this this afternoon.

'I will be busy tonight, obviously getting ready for the game on Saturday, so there's no meeting-up.

'The beard – I am just being a little bit lazy. But if you want me to get rid of it, I might.'

Is this the real you in the book?

'I don't know about the real me because you are always going to hide some parts of your character. I have had people on saying it's this and it's honest, but a lot of this is part of...

'The stuff that has been said to me over the years, even from ex-team-mates, is a pack of lies, just lies and lies and lies and sometimes you just say, "Listen, I have got to get up and say something myself and defend myself a little bit", and hopefully the book will reflect that.

'In terms of the real me, hopefully you'll never get to see that or get to know that, because that's part of the game isn't it? Your job is to try and find out little bits and snippets, you'll have your own contacts - I know there's people in this room who've got mates who are quite happy to tell lies about me and it's ok for people to print it so every now and again you have to defend yourself.

'A lot of stuff I let go - lots of stuff - but eventually you have to go "na, na, enough's enough".'

Are you feeling the pride of being Irish get stronger as you grow older?

'I had a… a lot of stuff was written over the years, going back to one or two idiots really who I suppose had the power to write headlines about me in the Irish media - not wanting to play for my country and all that carry on.

'Obviously I had problems at United, sometimes getting selected for games, but sometimes people forget that I had a lot of injury problems, particularly in my mid 20s going back to my cruciate, then I had my hip problem, a few knee injuries …

'I said in the book maybe I got distracted by all that and got sucked into, I suppose, the politics of the game. And I probably was guilty of that. Sometimes you're under pressure from your club and you prioritise. But I think I've had a chance to reflect on that, certainly over the last few years, particularly with getting back involved in Ireland, and I suppose I've been refocusing and looking at what's important and what's not important to you.

'The same people who were putting me under pressure at the time about international football are the same people who couldn't care less about how Ireland did anyway. There was plenty of distractions and a lot of pressure on me from different people including Ferguson and people like that. That's part of it. I look back and think "yeah, there's a few regrets on that side of it". I should have probably fought my corner a bit more.

'Even at Nottingham Forest, I had one or two incidents with the under age teams with Ireland. It's not trying to be clever, hindsight is a wonderful thing in football, but I wish I hadn't taken my eye off the ball with the Irish stuff, but I did and it happened and that's why the chance to get back involved with Ireland was fantastic for me from a selfish point of view. It's just rekindled what I love about the game because whatever has gone on about the book, the fights, the disagreements, I still love the game of football, you know.

'With the industry we're in now you can't get distracted and I see other players doing exactly the same now. Hopefully my experience can help them and say "listen, just focus on the game and don't worry about all the other nonsense that's going on around you".'

Celtic, if they show they want you would you consider it?

'I think you have to be opened minded. I've tried to explain the situation. I was probably about tenth choice. I've heard on the grapevine that one or two other people had turned it down which wasn't an issue for me but at the time the negotiations didn't go the way I'd have hoped they would have gone, but I'm not sitting around waiting for people to lose their jobs.

'I have to be careful with what I say because there's a new Celtic manager and you want to wish him well, so I don't sit back and think "if these come calling". With the madness of the game you don't know what's around the corner at all and at the moment I'm just focused on working with Martin (O'Neill at Ireland) and the rest of the staff and the players and getting used to my role at Aston Villa.

'I'm not sitting around waiting for managers to lose their jobs. I'm not that type of personality. I honestly hope all other managers do well, but of course the game doesn't work like that and managers lose their jobs, but I'm not sitting around waiting for the phone to ring I have to say.

Is it now accepted part of football that what happens behind the scenes does not stay behind the scenes? Is the dressing room not sacred any more?
'Probably not. There was that unwritten rule going back on for years, "what happens in pre-season stays in pre-season on or off the pitch".

'There are a lot more stories coming out. The stuff I've got into is me defending myself. Stuff I felt was untrue. But also there was a lot of good stuff, really good stuff. I didn't fall out with everybody. Obviously I had a disagreement with Peter (Schmeichel) but if you read the book last year me and Peter were having breakfast in London. There was a good ending to it.

'People will concentrate on the negative but there was lots of good stuff. Whatever has gone on in my career the highlights are the players I've played with, always.

'It's part of the industry now that what goes on in dressing rooms will eventually leak out. For example, I look at teams and they get a good result and players in dressing rooms are all on Twitter and this carry-on. And they lost the previous ten. I think it's OK if you've won the title and you're entitled to celebrate.

'The game is changing. But that's the industry, the game. I don't sit around now thinking I was part of the dressing room. I look back and count my blessings that the lads I played with, whether at Forest or Cobh Ramblers or United or Ireland, even Sunderland and Ipswich, I had some great days. I don't miss the carry-on with some of the lads now. There are a certain lack of characters and good lads out there.'

In 2005 when Ferguson said it had come to an end, you agreed with that. Can you explain?

'It's quite hard to explain. I just knew. There was a lot of nonsense coming out from United about this leaked (MUTV) video coming out that shouldn't have been played. They were quite happy to let that come out. They'd just been knocked out of the Champions League. There was a disagreement about the video but it was just nonsense. None of the players had an issue about it except Ferguson and (Carlos) Queiroz and they had already made their minds up anyway.

'Again, no problem. That wasn't the issue. It was afterwards. When people are telling tales about me, saying this and that. When I had the meeting with Ferguson and David Gill and my lawyer at the time I did agree. Sometimes you just know it's the end of things.

'That wasn't the problem, it was the way it was handled, the statements and stuff coming out about me. I'm pretty sure I know the source . . I know the source of where it was coming from. Obviously Ferguson had friends in the media. There are a few of them here today. I can spot them a mile away. He was pals with them and he put little snippets about me out there. It was lies, basic lies. So I had to come out and say "listen . ." and now is the time. I had to bide my time and I've waited long enough, so there you go.'

You have a troubled relationship with Ferguson, who do you credit for being the mentor in your life?

'In terms of on the pitch, and I will argue with you until the cows come home . . people are always quick to praise coaches and managers and I've done that with Brian Clough, but the people who helped me the most from a football point of view were my team-mates. It is as simple as that.

'I've never worked with a coach or a manager where they inspired me to do something. The people I learned the most from were the people around me... Stuart Pearce, Steve Bruce, Gary Pallister, these boys. When you go into battle with them... I think managers today get too much credit and also on the other side they get too much criticism when things go wrong.

'The things I learned the most as a player was from the lads I played with. People always look back at my career at United but the lads at Man Utd were absolutely fantastic. They were great, great lads. Just because there were disagreements – obviously my situation with Peter, which again was highlighted in the book – but the days I had with them lads at United were probably the best days of my life. They were absolutely fantastic lads and we were winning trophies. So for people to try to tarnish that and have little digs, that's why you have to come out fighting. I said "enough's enough''.'
Code:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2786726/Roy-Keane-Sir-Alex-Ferguson-millions-got-stand-Old-Trafford-named-criticise-people-brought-success-wrong.html

(View-All Members who have read this thread : 39
adhe united macz, anandio, and1, andiancha, Ardiey11, badehul, Bloody "Devil" R3d, chevy solskjaer, chincarito, dhodoadrian, dimasdanes, Fajar_, goodfron, Gustar_UIBontang, harmoko mustafa, indraiebe, iqbal, jifortin, khairuzka18, mousetrap, Muhfeysal, paiman, penk22_, prahmono, puji purnawan, rio vander vidic, Sacri, sutimbul, tahu-united, tpmtpm, tumpal_oneunited, Ucup Carrick, UNITED1878, vanjisung, yogagoy, zudomiriku