United Indonesia - Manchester United Indonesia Supporters Club
Register
Go Back   United Indonesia - Manchester United Indonesia Supporters Club > INSIDE MANCHESTER UNITED > United Crew > Ex United

Old 05-04-2018, 10:12 AM   #201
Andi Istiabudi
manager
Youtube: Andi Istiabudi

Thanked 2,334 Times in 1,748 Posts
Mentioned: 146 Post(s)
Andi Istiabudi is a splendid one to beholdAndi Istiabudi is a splendid one to beholdAndi Istiabudi is a splendid one to beholdAndi Istiabudi is a splendid one to beholdAndi Istiabudi is a splendid one to beholdAndi Istiabudi is a splendid one to beholdAndi Istiabudi is a splendid one to beholdAndi Istiabudi is a splendid one to behold

Default Re: Ex - United player News (various)

EX-UNITED PLAYERS PAY TRIBUTE TO RAY WILKINS

A host of players, managers and friends from Manchester United and the wider footballing world have been paying tribute to Ray Wilkins, who has died at the age of 61.

Jose Mourinho: I am deeply saddened to hear that Ray Wilkins has been taken from us at such a young age. Ray will be remembered as a fantastic footballer but more importantly he will be remembered as a really true gentleman. I was lucky enough to be in his company on many occasions and his love of football always shone through. He will be missed throughout the footballing world. My thoughts are with his family at this terribly sad time.

Sir Alex Ferguson: I am deeply saddened to hear that Ray Wilkins has passed away. Ray excelled as a player and scored a magnificent goal in the FA Cup against Brighton. He will be remembered by all of our supporters as an outstanding player and a lovely man by all of the staff that worked with him. His passion for the game never diminished. My thoughts are with his family at this difficult time.

Michael Carrick: Sad to hear the news of Ray Wilkins passing away today. Thoughts are with his family and friends.

Chris Smalling: Such sad news about Ray Wilkins. A big loss. Thoughts with his family and friends.

Peter Schmeichel: Sad and choked to hear of the passing of Ray Wilkins. A true football person with a totally underestimated contribution to our sport. One of the best I’ve seen. My thoughts are with his family. Rest in peace.

Rio Ferdinand: RIP Ray Wilkins. Always so humble & softly spoken whenever I saw him. Genuine lovely guy. Watched him live at Loftus Road many times for QPR. What a great passer & teacher of the game for any young kids who watched him.

David Beckham: Incredibly sad to wake up to the news that Ray has passed away. A man that I’ve always looked up to as a United fan and a player, plus he wore our countries shirt with pride. You will be sadly missed! Our thoughts are with your family and friends.

Norman Whiteside: So sad to hear about the passing of Ray Wilkins, a top guy, a top player and one of football’s nicest gent’s you could wish to meet. RIP my friend.

Bryan Robson: Everybody will remember Ray as being a real gent. I can’t talk about him highly enough. He was a true gentleman of the game, he was in the top bracket. My thoughts are with all of Ray’s family and friends during this truly difficult time. Read Robson's full statement.

Danny Higginbotham: Devastating news regarding Ray Wilkins. Worked with him on numerous occasions and what an absolute gentleman. Treated everybody exactly the same and as humble as humanly possible. Deepest sympathies to all his friends and family.

David May: Gutted to hear the news about Ray Wilkins, one of the nicest men you could ever meet.

Mickey Thomas: Absolutely gutted about the passing of my former team mate Ray Wilkins. Not just a magnificent footballer but one of the nicest guys you could ever meet.

Clayton Blackmore: Goodbye Ray. The world is a lot worse off losing the nicest guy in football. A true gentleman, we will never forget you.

Gary Lineker: Deeply saddened to hear that Ray Wilkins has passed away. A wonderful footballer and a delightful man. It was a pleasure to have played alongside him with England. No teammate was more helpful and supportive. I’ll be forever grateful. Thoughts are with his family.

Peter Shilton: I’m devastated to receive this sad news of my former team mate Ray Wilkins, a great footballer and well respected by the players. RIP, a very sad day for me - only laughing together a few weeks ago.

Stuart Mathieson, journalist: Interviewed Ray Wilkins many times starting in the early 80s. Always a gentleman and interesting to speak to. Spent one very funny evening with him at a #MUFC old boys reunion dinner. Great company. Very sad news.

Andy Mitten, journalist: With a "handkerchief in his jacket pocket and shoes from Carnaby Street", MU players were unsure of Ray Wilkins when he joined in '79. "He never scored or made the killer pass," said Gordon McQueen. "Yet the season he left to go to AC Milan, he was fantastic, our best player" RIP

www.manutd.com
Andi Istiabudi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 10:13 AM   #202
Andi Istiabudi
manager

Andi Istiabudi is a splendid one to beholdAndi Istiabudi is a splendid one to beholdAndi Istiabudi is a splendid one to beholdAndi Istiabudi is a splendid one to beholdAndi Istiabudi is a splendid one to beholdAndi Istiabudi is a splendid one to beholdAndi Istiabudi is a splendid one to beholdAndi Istiabudi is a splendid one to behold

UNITED PAY TRIBUTE TO RAY WILKINS

It was with great sadness that Manchester United were informed that former Reds and England star Ray Wilkins has passed away. He was 61.

Everyone at the club extends their sincere and heartfelt condolences to the Wilkins family and friends at this most distressing time.

He will always be remembered with real affection by all those who knew him during his five years at Old Trafford. Ray ‘Butch’ Wilkins was the consummate midfielder who possessed brilliant footballing skills and a brain to match. He will always be held in high esteem at all the clubs for which he played and in particular Manchester United and Chelsea. He will also command a high place in the all-time list of those who pulled on England’s white shirt adorned with Three Lions.

Raymond Colin Wilkins was born in Hillingdon, West London, on Friday 14 September 1956, the son of George, a former professional footballer who also had three others sons, Graham, Dean and Stephen, who followed in his footsteps. With a pedigree like that Wilkins was always going to make the grade and it wasn’t long before the hereditary talent began to show through.

He was to represent his country at every level from schoolboy to the senior national side, for whom he collected 84 caps.

He made his name with Chelsea playing 179 times for the Stamford Bridge club and scoring 30 goals in all competitions. In the summer of 1979 he swapped the all-blue of Chelsea for the red and white of United when he transferred for £85,000. He was also re-united with manager Dave Sexton for whom he had played under for the Pensioners.

News of his arrival at Old Trafford was greeted with great excitement because he had gained the reputation of being one of the most accomplished midfield players of his generation. He joined United at a time when the club was still striving to capture the glory days and the earlier years of success.

The addition of Wilkins provided Sexton’s side with a quality and intelligence in the centre of the field that could only be beneficial. He possessed wonderful passing skills and could spot an opening that many would have missed.

His crowning glory in a United shirt was during the 1983 FA Cup final against Brighton & Hove Albion at Wembley. The game was level at 1-1 when, in the 74th minute, he took a pass from Dutch Master Arnold Muhren. Wilkins steadied himself before unleashing an incredible 30-yard shot that curled majestically into the top corner of Graham Moseley’s net.

It was a goal that looked to have won the FA Cup for the Reds, but a late equaliser from Gary Stevens saved the day for Albion. However, Wilkins and his team-mates were not to be denied their winners’ medal after United won the midweek replay with a great performance and a resounding 4-0 win.

Three months later and United were back at Wembley to face Liverpool in the FA Charity Shield and it was another day to celebrate as the Red Devils, including Wilkins, lifted the trophy following a 2-0 victory.

Wilkins went on to make 194 (three as substitute) appearances in a United shirt, scoring 10 goals, before being transferred to Italian giants AC Milan in 1986. He proceeded to give service to several clubs, including Paris St Germain, Rangers, Queens Park Rangers and Hibernian.

At the close of his playing career he went into management and coaching to impart his vast knowledge and experience at various clubs.

Ray Wilkins will always be remembered as a top player and a wonderful man who everyone couldn’t fail to like.

www.manutd.com
Old 19-06-2018, 11:32 PM   #203
Andi Istiabudi
manager

Happy 39th Birthday, Kleberson !!!

Old 21-06-2018, 06:26 AM   #204
Andi Istiabudi
manager

Happy 69th Birthday, Stuart "Pancho" Pearson !!!

Old 16-08-2018, 11:33 PM   #205
Andi Istiabudi
manager

UNITED LEGENDS IN TRIBUTE MATCH FOR MILLER

Roy Keane will manage and captain a team of Manchester United legends in a tribute match for Liam Miller next month.

The former Reds skipper will lead a squad of ex-United players for the game against a combined Celtic and Republic of Ireland team, in Cork on Tuesday 25 September.

Among the United legends who have agreed to take part are Ryan Giggs, Rio Ferdinand, Paul Scholes and Gary Neville. Robbie Keane and Neil Lennon will also be involved for the opposition in the match at Pairc Ui Chaoimh, which will be played in front of a sell-out crowd of 45,000.

It is bound to be a poignant occasion as the United family come together to remember Miller, who sadly passed away in February this year at the age of 36.

Liam Miller with Sir Alex Ferguson when he signed for United in 2004.

The midfielder, who made his professional debut with Celtic before moving to Old Trafford, scored twice in 22 appearances for the Reds between 2004 and 2006 and was capped 21 times by the Republic of Ireland. He then left to join Sunderland, who were in the Championship at the time.

Michael O’Flynn, who is the chair of the match’s organising committee, lives next door to Miller’s family in Ovens and has revealed how a meeting with legendary former Reds boss Sir Alex Ferguson inspired the idea for the game.

“John O'Shea teed it up for me. Obviously John has still got a connection with Sir Alex,” he told the Manchester Evening News.

“I arranged to meet him in the same place, at Cheltenham, and had a chat with him and again the following day. He gave me his mobile number. He's been in constant contact since and he was doing his homework. One of the first things Sir Alex said to me was: 'Let's do a match!'

“Manchester United have been amazing, so facilitating - right up to Ed Woodward - and he has made a number of staff available with logistics.“

THE CONFIRMED SQUADS:

Manchester United Legends: Roy Keane, Ryan Giggs, Nicky Butt, Ronny Johnsen, Paul Scholes, Denis Irwin, David May, Louis Saha, Rio Ferdinand, Quinton Fortune, Andy Cole, Michael Clegg, Mikael Silvestre, Kevin Pilkington, Dion Dublin, Roy Carroll, Gary Neville, Alan Smith.

Celtic/Republic of Ireland Legends:
David Forde, Stephen Carr, Kevin Kilbane, Richard Dunne, Kenny Cunningham, Keith Andrews, Kevin Doyle, Stephen McPhail, Andy Reid, Robbie Keane, Damien Duff, Lee Carsley, Colin Healy, Shaun Maloney, Paul Lambert, John Hartson, Neil Lennon, Stylian Petrov, Shane Supple.

www.manutd.com
Old 25-09-2018, 12:54 PM   #206
Andi Istiabudi
manager

'OUR TRIBUTE TO LIAM NEEDED TO BE DONE'

Five players involved in the Liam Miller Tribute Match have shared memories of their former Manchester United team-mate, ahead of the emotional fixture in Cork on Tuesday afternoon.

Wes Brown, Quinton Fortune, Mikael Silvestre and Alan Smith were all in the same 2004/05 and 2005/06 United squads as Miller, who tragically lost his fight against cancer in February this year. He was 36.

Another former colleague who spoke to ManUtd.com was Michael Clegg, who left the Reds before Liam arrived but later worked with him as part of Roy Keane's staff at Sunderland.

Below, we present the five ex-players' personal recollections of the popular Irishman, as they prepare to play for Keane's United XI against a combined Ireland and Celtic XI at Pairc Ui Chaoimh in Cork.

The game, which will raise money to help Miller's wife and children as well as charities including Marymount Hospice, is a 45,000 sell-out and will be shown live on MUTV, Facebook and YouTube from 15:00 BST. We'll never forget you, Liam.

ALAN SMITH

“It brings home reality. I signed for Man United on the same day as Liam. He was such a lovely family guy, just unassuming but so talented in every aspect. It’s such a massive loss to everyone and obviously, we’d far rather not be staging the game at all – it’s so sad to even speak about it – but hopefully this match can be everything that everybody wants it to be. Liam’s death has touched the whole of football and now we have the opportunity to give as much adulation as we can to someone who we all lost much too soon.

”I’ve been trying to explain the situation to my own family and friends, and you just don’t know the emotions you’ll have on the day, because you never want or expect to be in a situation where you’re playing in a game like this. Hopefully after everybody’s emotions have settled down, Liam’s family can look back on the day with wonderful memories. We have to make sure the day lives long in the memory for everyone involved, just like Liam will.“

MICHAEL CLEGG

“In his first managerial role at Sunderland, Roy Keane wanted to bring people who he trusted to the club, people who he could turn to in times of trouble, and Liam was one of those people. Liam was central to what Roy was trying to achieve. Liam especially brought a never-give-in attitude, but he was also a really fun lad as well. What he brought in terms of atmosphere and character was second to none. I was on the coaching staff and we wanted to build camaraderie in the dressing room - Liam brought that everywhere, whether it was in the gym, in the canteen, with the rest of the players and ultimately on the pitch. What he did on the pitch was of a very high level.

”Liam was a slim lad but very agile and mobile. He managed to get on the ball and do things that sometimes you couldn’t even believe could be done. He’d spread the ball wide, get from box to box and in that 2006/07 season, he definitely contributed a massive amount to getting us promoted. He scored a massive goal against Derby at a really important time in the season to keep our momentum going.

“The character of that team was superb. Roy was a big believer in team bonding; he loved the lads doing team activities together. We’d go to Kielder Forest and do activities: quad-biking, archery, clay pigeon shooting, go to Teesside for white water rafting, bike rides in the middle of the Yorkshire Dales, and Liam – even though he was relatively experienced – was such a youthful, bubbly presence among all that. They were very special times – probably the highlight of my time at the club in the last 12 years – and Liam was central to it all.”

MIKAEL SILVESTRE

“We are quite young, our generation of players, so it was a big shock when Liam left us. Liam was very likeable, he had no enemies. He got on well with everyone at United as soon as he came. It was a no-brainer to be involved in the game. If I’m not getting married the same day, I’m there. There are no excuses. It shows how respected and highly regarded Liam was. He was only at the club for two years, but he was one of us. One hundred per cent he was one of us. He shared the United values, gave his best, never gave up and that’s why he gained the respect of every single person who shared that dressing room with him. That’s testament to Liam’s personality and the kind of player he was.”

QUINTON FORTUNE

“Liam was a quiet, humble guy but his football did all the talking. We could all see he was a naturally gifted footballer. We all knew that Liam had loads of ability, but in every position there was so much competition for places and he was coming up against Scholesy and Keaney and that was always going to be difficult. At any other club he probably would have been playing all the time, but it was always going to be difficult for him at United.

”The game being held in his honour is an amazing gesture, but it’s the right gesture. It’s a sell-out and we’re grateful to everyone who’ll be attending the game. The most important thing is to celebrate Liam, remember him and hopefully we can make his family proud and put on a show for him. I hope he’s watching from above and laughing at the old legs trying to run around on the pitch! We want to make him and his family proud, not just for the day, but we want him to be remembered forever. It was a shock to all of us when we heard the news and hopefully we can all play some small part in helping his family. He must be forever remembered at Manchester United and every club he played for.“

WES BROWN

“Liam was a top man. When he first came to the club everyone could quickly see that he was a great lad, he got on with all the boys tremendously and when you look at the players playing in this game for him, it shows the respect he earned.

“It’s so sad, what’s happened, but the lads have all come together and we all want to pay a great tribute to him. It needed to be done – there was no other option. It’s one of the saddest things you can think about but we’ve all got together and everyone is going to see the level of respect is that is due to him.”

www.manutd.com
Old 27-09-2018, 01:13 AM   #207
Andi Istiabudi
manager

Rest In Peace, Joe Carolan...

Old 16-01-2019, 12:40 AM   #208
Andi Istiabudi
manager

SOLSKJAER CONFIRMS ROSSI IS TRAINING WITH UNITED

Ole Gunnar Solskjaer has confirmed that former Manchester United striker Giuseppe Rossi is training at the club in order to build up his fitness as he looks to make his next career move.

The Italian striker - who is now 31 - arrived at United in 2004 as a 17-year-old prospect and went on to win the Jimmy Murphy Young Player of the Year award at the end of his first season. He followed that up by claiming the equally-prestigious Denzil Haroun Reserve Team Player of the Year prize a year later.

Rossi made his first-team debut in November 2004, during a League Cup win over Crystal Palace, and went on to score four goals in 14 senior appearances.

After a couple of loan spells at Newcastle United and Parma, Giuseppe completed a permanent transfer to Villarreal in La Liga and continued to score goals across the continent thereafter.

Rossi was released by his most recent club Genoa in the summer and Solskjaer, who played with the forward before he left the club in 2007, has invited him to build his fitness at the Aon Training Complex.

‘IF THERE ARE ANY TAKERS, BE QUICK!’

In the post-match press conference at Wembley on Sunday, following the 1-0 win over Tottenham Hotspur, Solskjaer provided an update on Rossi's situation.

“We’re not going to sign Giuseppe I think, no, but he’s trained well with us,” said Ole, before he revealed how Sir Alex Ferguson was impressed by his finishing.

“He looks sharp, he’s looking for a club so Giuseppe is probably going to stay with us for another week, unless someone takes him.

“He scored a fantastic goal yesterday [Saturday] in training. The gaffer [Sir Alex Ferguson] turned around and said ‘what about that son?’

“It’s a bit of us helping him to get fit before his next move, so if there are any takers you should be quick!”

WANT TO KNOW MORE ABOUT ROSSI AFTER UNITED?

Giuseppe left United in 2007 to join Spanish side Villarreal, where he spent five-and-a-half years and scored 54 goals in 136 games.

During his time at the club, he was drawn against the Reds in a UEFA Champions League group-stage match in November 2008, playing for 78 minutes of a goalless draw at El Madrigal.

Rossi returned to Italy in January 2013 when he signed for Fiorentina, for whom he netted 16 goals in 33 appearances. During his time at the club, the American-born former Italy international had two loan spells in Spain.

He scored six goals in 17 matches on loan at Levante in the second half of the 2015/16 season, before spending the entire 2016/17 campaign at Celta Vigo, where he netted four goals in 18 games.

His most recent club was Serie A outfit Genoa, whom he joined in December 2017. Giuseppe netted once in 10 appearances before leaving at the end of the 2017/18 season and is now currently a free agent.

www.manutd.com
Old 18-01-2019, 10:25 PM   #209
Andi Istiabudi
manager

MUTUAL PRIDE BETWEEN UNITED AND ROSSI
by Adam Marshall

Giuseppe Rossi breezed into the MUTV studio at the Aon Training Complex with a beaming smile and overall glow that said everything about how much he is enjoying working with Ole Gunnar Solskjaer and the Manchester United squad.

The #10YearChallenge is proving popular on social media, but I doubt the New Jersey-born striker looks much different to how he did in 2009. To me, he didn’t appear to have aged too much since being the fresh-faced teenager who arrived at the club from Parma in 2004.

There is something so satisfying about making an invitation to the 31-year-old to train here and reach peak fitness in order to find a new club. Plenty will be in the market for a predatory centre-forward with skill, technique and an uncanny ability to find the back of the net.

However, the bigger picture is it is a gesture that speaks volumes about United. It is a family club, no matter how large it has become. Giuseppe immediately mentioned how he was seeing the same faces around the place, even if he sometimes felt like that 17-year-old nervously making his way through the corridors and familiarising himself with his new surroundings.

Kath Phipps on reception has, famously, been here longer than anybody and is always the first person to greet you when you enter the building. Rossi played with Ole, of course, and worked under Ricky Sbragia, our Under-23s coach, in the Reserves. Mike Phelan is another familiar face and the list goes on and on.

While United offering assistance to a former player is nothing new, the man himself is testament to his finishing school in the Academy. Arriving from Italy, he grew into a player of real stature here and his 30 caps for the Azzurri were the least that could have been expected after his class became evident in the Reserves, when it was almost taken for granted that he would score in every outing.

A goal at Sunderland showed he could do the business in the Premier League and he sparkled in an FA Cup replay win over Burton Albion at Old Trafford, combining majestically with Ryan Giggs. I had the feeling he would show his true colours when playing alongside better players and so this appeared to indicate.

Yet, even at a young age, Rossi was ambitious and wanted regular first-team football. If memory serves me right, he grew frustrated when winger Giggs was handed the striking role for a game at Charlton Athletic and sought to go out on loan. Newcastle snapped him up but never really got the best out of him and it was only at former club Parma, later that season, that he proved his worth.

Having been such a firm advocate of the centre-forward, ever since seeing him play at Burnley in Stan Ternent’s testimonial (I think it might even have been his debut), I was terribly disappointed to see him leave permanently for Villarreal in 2007. It was no surprise to see him perform so well in La Liga but, since then, injuries stopped him being able to hit the sort of numbers, in terms of goals and appearances, he was clearly capable of.

Somehow, the sadness I felt at Rossi never being the star at United I sincerely believed he would be was almost alleviated by getting the chance to catch up with him this week. Maybe these United players, the ones who work with the Academy and come through the youth ranks, never really leave the club at all. Certainly, in most respects, they at least maintain a strong, unbreakable bond with the place.

It is why United fans will feel pride most weekends – like the one just passed – when seeing things like Will Keane score his first goal for new club Ipswich Town, a crucial winner at that, Fraizer Campbell reach a landmark goal figure for Hull City and Watford’s strikes in a Premier League victory come from Craig Cathcart and Tom Cleverley.

There was another reason to smile when the vidiprinter churning out the latest information from around the grounds threw up Ethan Hamilton’s name. A goal on his debut for Rochdale. The production line has continued since he departed and keeps working so this is something Rossi acknowledged.

”United has a great youth system and bring through a lot of very good players,” he told us. “They are very motivated because, once you come into this training facility, you see what is around you and are so close to the first team. It’s just that extra motivation maybe a young person needs to stay for a couple of minutes after training to go to the gym or do whatever it is, in order to better yourself. United have produced a lot of players and are keeping with this production of young players.”

Of course, not every youngster at the club will make the first team. Some accomplish that feat but do not become regulars for years and years. Rossi falls into that category but remains a Manchester United man. It is a reason why we are proud of him and all that he has achieved and look forward to being cheered whenever we see him get on the scoresheet. Wherever his next move takes him, you can rest assured the goals are likely to follow.

The opinions in this story are personal to the author and do not necessarily reflect the views of Manchester United Football Club.

www.manutd.com
Old 18-01-2019, 10:35 PM   #210
Andi Istiabudi
manager

GIUSEPPE ROSSI: WHY I AM BACK AT UNITED

Former striker Giuseppe Rossi believes it is “something beautiful” to be back with Manchester United.

The 31-year-old spoke to us at the Aon Training Complex on Wednesday after his latest session with caretaker manager Ole Gunnar Solskjaer and the first-team squad.

After leaving the club in 2007 to join Villarreal, the striker is delighted to be back working with some of the best players in the game and feeling sharp and confident. Rossi, who was most recently with Genoa, is relishing the opportunity to enhance his fitness and hopes to find a new club soon.

Here's what the ex-Italy international had to say in our exclusive interview.

So, Giuseppe, what brings you back to United?
“It’s just good to be back with the guys and be back in this environment, which I tasted 14 years ago when I first arrived. I’m just training with them, staying fit and just looking to stay sharp.”

How much have things changed since you left?
“The facilities itself have changed a bit. But I see the same people around and that’s great to see. It still has its homely feeling.”

Does it remain that same club to you – a family club you can come back to like this?
“Yeah, of course. I mean the gesture from the team, from Ole and from everybody else, having me back is just something beautiful. It’s something I don’t take for granted and something that I really appreciate.”

What is your situation at the moment? You’re looking sharp in training – Sir Alex was impressed with one of your goals the other day…
“Well, that’s great to hear from him! I’m training, staying fit and, each day, obviously getting better playing with these top-class players. So it’s very easy to get back into the groove, to get back to your sharpness because, if you’re not sharp, they will let you hear it! But things are going very well. The lads have accepted me very nicely and it’s a pleasure to be here.”

Are you ready to get back playing regular football?
“Of course! I’ve been ready for a while. Unfortunately, it’s been four or five months when I haven’t had a team but I’m just eager to get back.”

So what is the next step? Are you pondering your options at the moment?
“I’m just waiting and seeing, taking it day by day and enjoying my training sessions with the guys. Like I said, I’ll take it day by day and see what happens but hopefully something good comes along.”

It’s a good time as the transfer window is open and a lot of clubs are looking for strikers – they seem in quite short supply at the moment…
“I don’t know if there are a lot of teams that need strikers but this is a moment when many transfers happen, obviously in January, and we’ll just see.”

As a striker, are there elements you can teach younger players, particularly when it comes to finishing?
“I've had a long career and I’ve had a lot of ups and a few downs, unfortunately, with these injuries. Whatever I can give back to the game to the young ones is always something I like to do. Whether I will always be available to do that, as I’m obviously focused on my game and trying to be better in my game. Hopefully, I’ll be good enough for any team I will be playing for in the future.”

You always had that technique and Ole was another striker who was a deadly finisher. Is that something that can’t be teached and is just innate?
“I guess it’s something just in you. In order to be a striker at the top level, you need to have that instinct and know where the goal is at all times and the right angles. I think that’s very important, the angles in which a player sees when about to strike a ball. Ole was one of the best ones out there to do it but there are a few amazing strikers in this United team who are really impressing me in training.”

Marcus Rashford is playing particularly well at the moment and we have some young strikers coming through the ranks. Have you had chance to take a good look at them first hand?
“Marcus has been amazing since Ole came back and he scored a great goal against Tottenham. Lukaku has been doing amazing things in training. It’s a pleasure to be around these great strikers.”

Did you think Ole would go into coaching when he finished playing?
“I never really thought about it. I’ve seen what he has been doing in these past weeks with United and it’s not an easy task. It’s definitely not an easy task being a coach of one of the best teams in the world. But he’s done tremendous and brought back a lot of serenity in this environment, plus he has top, top, top quality players. Things are going very, very well.”

I guess the mood in the camp is high after the win over Spurs…
“Yeah, it’s great. The atmosphere in the training sessions and in the changing room is great. The banter is great. I’ve been here a good 10 days and have been listening in. It’s just a great, great group.”

You were at the Under-23s’ match against Fulham – do you enjoy watching games at that level?
“Of course. That brought back a lot of memories to when I was playing. That [Leigh] wasn’t the field we played at and it was a little bit different. [Ours was] a little bit smaller and a bit colder. But it brought back a lot of memories and it was great to see Ricky [Sbragia], who was my coach back in the day. I’m happy things are going well.”

When you played for the Reserves, there was a story the coaches would tell you once you’d scored once to try setting up your team-mates instead. I’m not sure if that was true but you were certainly prolific at that level…
“We had many good games and good runs in the Reserves. We won everything there was to win and those performances helped me to get into the first team and perform at first-team level at a very young age. It was great because we had very good coaches and the level of play was great. We had players in the reserve team who went on to have great careers and it’s a privilege to have played there.”

We remember you scoring in the FA Cup against Burton and playing so well in the replay, but you felt the time was right to go out and further your career…
“I was 20 years old and I wanted to taste more first-team football and show the world I was capable of playing at a high level. I thought it was time to show that and I had the opportunity to go [permanently] to Villarreal, which was a very good decision. I played many, many years there in La Liga and scored many goals to show the world what I was capable of doing.”

Was it hard coming over from Parma at an early age, even if you did go back there on loan to score the goals to help them stay up?
“I was very young. I’d had five years over there in Parma, then had the possibility to go on loan there for six months and play first-team football. They were great times in their youth system but, whenever you get a call from such a big team like Manchester United, you definitely don’t think twice and that’s the way I thought about it.”

Have you missed any other parts of Manchester since you’ve been away?
“Truthfully, I miss this training ground. This is something that I’ve never seen anywhere I’ve been. The atmosphere at Old Trafford is something that I’ve never felt anywhere outside of it. Those are the things I really do miss but it’s just great to be back here and just to be around this facility and this club.”

Did it not feel strange in a way to you, coming back to an environment where you had spent so much time?
“No, it was strange for the first couple of days, definitely. Leaving when I was a young kid and coming back as a man, with a lot of games under my belt, it is kind of strange. I still walk around these corridors and feel like I’m still a young 17-year-old kid who just came to the club.”

You’ve managed to go out in Manchester – and tried to visit Juan [Mata]’s restaurant…
“Yeah, it was closed. He definitely didn’t tell me that! But I went the day after and it was very good.”

You’re still only 31 so you have plenty of years of football ahead of you…
“I’m still young, I’m still young! I’ve got a lot of quality football in me and I came here to show it.”

Have you had any thoughts yet on what you’ll do after football?
“I’m still focused on what I’ve got to do and that’s playing football.”

www.manutd.com

(View-All Members who have read this thread : 100
Abe7, adestie, adnantsaqib69, agahckck, alfiandrmwn, alfinwuchyka, alif unyil, ali_iyan, amin, Andi Istiabudi, andrerahmana, andrydjemb4, apri_united25, Ardiey11, arymashuda, Aso Chrisjefta, basdalopez, baya, Blacklist7, bombom, braausasda9593, chincarito, Cpidegso, Deddy Hernandez, dhodoadrian, dudut, ecly_watchaa, endhy_cantona, eyeofday, fajrinited, fastak, fredrian.seven, GeaErang, goodfron, Gothic, h-ANG, hendiplast, HenryRooney07, HRHMU86, iamsetia, irfi_1, iwankayou, jifortin, jojo poenya, Juni HW, kingherooney, King_Cantona, machookeii, Mahesa_Jenar, MCR7, MichaelMU, moehfar, MUFC1878, Nachir_79, nay, oldark, ollacarla, penk22_, Prianto United, Rean, revald, rio vander vidic, Riskur, Rissa14, rizluq, ruffy3rd, RyanRezha, Ryan_lallo, sanji0ne, Sawithea, sepatu_ancur, Septiko Aji, sompretz, SR 7, Syarifeghy, ThianCJP, Trezz Kiko, tumpal_oneunited, Ucup Carrick, UdyMUFC, uicb-dyz, UNITED1878, united7, VaDLi, vankyoet, Vanz Wazza, Van_Munandar, Victory, wahyou91, wira_ozora, word89vkodv, yoogadwi17, zudomiriku