United Indonesia - Manchester United Indonesia Supporters Club
Register
Go Back   United Indonesia - Manchester United Indonesia Supporters Club > INSIDE MANCHESTER UNITED > Fans Talk

Old 19-06-2011, 01:15 AM   #1
gravedigga
academy
-

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
gravedigga is a jewel in the roughgravedigga is a jewel in the roughgravedigga is a jewel in the rough
Default Thoughts of Our Red Army 7th - The Away Days

Edisi kali ini saya membahas tentang 'away days' selama musim kemarin. Kebetulan kenal dengan Paul Liptrot ( penulis Away Days di thefaithfulMUFC.com - @TheFaithfulMUFC ). Paul lahir dan besar di Wigan, Greater Manchester, seorang ST holder sejak beberapa musim lalu. Paul bisa di-follow di Twitter dengan nama @NorthernCasual, sesuai namanya dia adalah penggila 'casual culture'

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Andreas: how are you Paul? life's boring without football i bet.

Paul: Yeah it's odd isn't it? Having no plans at the weekends makes you feel strange, like you're not making the most of the time away from work! Both me and my mate (who I go to United games with) suffered quite badly with football withdrawl last summer, even to the extent that one day we boarded a train and went to some random town to go to a few pubs on some sort of fake away day type of adventure just to get that excitement of going off to somewhere unknown. Still, it won't be long now until the stress, nausea, stress and excitement of the football season is back!

Andreas: lets start with the same question in every Thoughts of Our Red Army edition, since when you follow United?

Paul: I followed United since I was young and first started to get interested in football. My dad is a big United fan so I followed suit and my love of the reds started there. I went to my first game in 93/94 season at Old Trafford against Wimbledon. United won 3-0 and to this day I can still remember the excitement I felt all day leading up to the game.

Andreas: Where's your seat in Old Trafford? how much does the Season Ticket cost at your end? Have you renewed?

Paul: I sit in Tier Two of the Stretford End, block 3104. I love the atmosphere in there, some games it literally makes the hair stand up on the back of your neck, really unbelievable. I know Old Trafford gets plenty criticism from all quarters over the atmosphere at some games but it's never quiet in the Stretford End. For season 2011/12 the cost is £703 which covers just the nineteen league home games, you've then got the Champions League, FA Cup, and Carling Cup home games are on top as extra.

I have renewed for next season. I know it's a point of contention at the minute with many people boycotting and urging others to do the same until the ownership changes. I don't agree with the current state of the club and the way it's being run but I don't want to let that stop me from doing something I love...watching United. It's as simple as that really, I want to go to see United.

Andreas: you can call me a big fan of your Away Days articles in thefaithfulMUFC, i can feel the ambience of away days everytime
i read it. How many away matches you attend last season including European matches?

Paul: Firstly, thanks for the comments and I have noticed for each article that you've given me feedback and comments about them, which I really appreciate. The idea behind the articles was to provide a bit of an insight to what it's like being a United fan at away games. Not getting bogged down with stats or commentary on the game but instead focusing on what it's like on the terraces and around the town that day. I'm really happy that you liked them.

I don't know of an exact count of games but I'd say including Europe and Wembley it must have been around 15-20 or somewhere in that region. The away trips following United are amazing it really is an incredible experience.

Andreas: Your favourite stadia? inside and outside the country

Paul: Hmmm tough one that one. I'm not a massive fan of big, clinical stadiums. I hate Wembley for example. I liked Craven Cottage when we went to see Fulham vs United, it's a bit of a throwback to days gone by but it's a nice little ground and has a quality hot dog haha! I strangely enjoyed going to St Andrews to see United play Birmingham. But I'd say for this country it would have to be Goodison Park. It's very much an old stadium in fact some of the stands are made from wood. Inside the ground is quite old and dated but it is a good reminder of how things used to be. We're spoiled nowadays with the luxury of some grounds (they serve noodles at the Emirates!) so going to a ground like Goodison in an estate in Liverpool gives it an edge that you don't find that much anymore.

Craven Cottage away

Goodison Park away

Outside of the country I'm going to go for the San Siro. It goes without saying that everyone knows of the San Siro, with those towers in each corner (I found out that those towers have a refreshment stand and toilets!). It's a great stadium and even though you're quite high up and have nets and plastic screens obstructing the already distant view it's still a great place to visit.

The Legendary San Siro

Andreas: Tell me about your best trip last season.

Paul: Hands down has to be Valencia away in the Champions League. It was in September and the weather in the UK was miserable. We landed in Valencia to 34 degree sunshine it was great. It was a great day of strolling around until we found the beach where we then spent the afternoon sat around and walking into the sea with a few beers in hand. We then opted to go for tapas (one of the lads literal attempts at translation for 'cheap' and 'food' has become legendary!) washed down with a few bottles of rioja before we joined the rest of the United fans congregating in the pubs around the Mestalla. The stadium itself isn't much to look at from the outside, looks like an old multi storey car park. Inside the away end was right up in the heavens (see photos) and it's one of the steepest stadium I've ever seen. If you fell on the stairs there you would roll right down to the pitch! Added into that United won 1-0 and I had the pleasure of meeting the goal scoring hero that night in the early hours at Manchester Airport. Javier Hernandez. I shook his hand and said 'well played', little did I know the impact the little Mexican would go on to have on United's record season.

Mestalla

Andreas: how do you set the away journey? you usually go alone or in a group? did you take the Thomas Cook from OT?

Paul: For domestic aways we always make our own way, most often on a train. I travel with my mate and then meet up with others in the town/city we're heading to. We've used Thomas Cook for European aways as their day trips make it exceptionally easy as it's just there and back. We arranged our own way to Marseille where we took trains all the way, some 14 hours it took each way!

Andreas: where did you watch our matches if you didn't get the away tickets?

Paul: Either at home or in the local pub with my mate, if we don't get tickets we'll watch games a the weekend in the pub. I tend to be a little more relaxed watching the games on TV.

Andreas: not too bad...I sing my heart out to the telly every single match!
Italy and French riot police "hate" our fans, which one the worse?

Paul: The Italian police we experienced in Milan were fine. They kept their distance and did the job that they're there to do. The French ones on the other hand I've nothing good to say about. They looked as if they were looking for trouble and the treatment of United fans in Marseille was unacceptable.

Andreas: what did happen at Marseille last season? heard you lot "trapped" in a warehouse

Paul: Yes that's right. It was strange. We arrived in the ground more than 30 minutes before kick off and were directed a long way around the ground. When we finally reached the away end our tickets were checked outside of the stadium and we made our way to the ground only to be herded away from the stadium into a warehouse. Inside there were a few hundred United fans. It appeared like a sort of checkpoint but no one was going through. Kick off is now approaching and everyone is getting concerned at why nothing is happening and we're being kept here without explanation. A few pushes here and there and the riot police charged at us, they hit one lad and as he dropped to the floor three or four riot police continued to beat him. We attempted to try and get to him to pull him out but the police then charged at us swinging their batons at us so we had to retreat to the back wall of the warehouse. People put their arms up in surrender to try and get through as the game was now well underway. Eventually we started to move through but found there was a second checkpoint were they again held us. We saw men and women, old and young at the front of the warehouse on the floor in handcuffs. Tempers started to get fraught as 30 minutes of the game has now passed. We managed to push through the last checkpoint and got out and ran towards the stadium. I believe they managed to keep some people in there for over an hour of the game. It was surreal and to this day there's been no explanation as to what happened.

Kept in a warehouse

The checkpoint

Coming out after the game was as bad. The riot police again striking out and punching people as they passed. They tried to herd thousands of United fans through a metal gate with only one gate open. People were shouting, screaming and pleading for them to open the other gate before someone got injured or worse in the crush. Those pleas were met with yet more violence from the French police. I was glad to get out of there and back to our hotel that night.

Away end at Marseille

Andreas: where's the most dangerous ground in England bar New Den?

Paul: Going to Everton can be quite intimidating as it's on a housing estate to it's very much tight and cramped. When we went last season we went with a few Everton fans we know so we went into one of the Evertonians pub around the ground. I'd have to go for Ibrox, the home of Glasgow Rangers though. As you may have read in the Away Days article on the United game there last season, I was taken aback at the sheer noise the Rangers fans generated. United's away support is amongst, if not the best in the country. Wherever they go they make themselves heard. I've been in many away ends and heard the United voices dominate but that night in Glasgow despite our best efforts we were just drowned out. It's certainly a night I won't forget and one I look back on with fond memories.

Ibrox

Andreas: you enjoy the transfer news/ rumours this summer? Modric? yay or nay? (look like he'll stay tho)

Paul: Haha the transfer rumour mill is in full swing isn't it? It goes from the sublime to the ridiculous some days, it amazes me that journalists can be paid for just making stories up! For me Modric is a must have. I think he's a quality player and fair play to Spurs for not only picking him up but also for giving him the stage to develop like he has, I'm sure though that Spurs fans won't be at all happy if we again come along and take one of their top players! He's a class act though I'd have him at United in a heartbeat. I'm not too fond of all the links to Sanchez though. I've personally not seen much of him and I think the money being touted for him is a bit of a risk. He may excel at Barca but as the cliched saying goes, could he do it at Stoke on a cold, wet Tuesday night in December? I'd much rather spend the money on players who have Premier League experience. The Ashely Young deal (should it go through) is one I'm particularly happy with. I know a few United fans would prefer a Sanchez etc but I really do think Young will progress and flourish at United and I'm excited to see him play.

As for targets I'd like to see at United, I wouldn't have mind having Andrea Pirlo at the club for a few seasons. He's a class act.

Andreas: ta for the chance! really appreciate it. Glory fooking glory....

Paul: Keep the red flag flying high.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here’s couple of pictures from Paul’s seat last season:

Wolfsburg away

Rooney’s penalty sealed our 19th title at Blackburn

Last edited by Supernan; 19-06-2011 at 05:24 PM..
gravedigga is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to gravedigga For This Useful Post:
Old 19-06-2011, 05:34 PM   #2
Supernan
first team
dope

Thanked 1,534 Times in 637 Posts
Mentioned: 118 Post(s)
Supernan is a glorious beacon of lightSupernan is a glorious beacon of lightSupernan is a glorious beacon of lightSupernan is a glorious beacon of lightSupernan is a glorious beacon of lightSupernan is a glorious beacon of lightSupernan is a glorious beacon of light

Default Re: Thoughts of Our Red Army 7th - The Away Days

Silahkan dibaca guys, interview terbaru dr sdr. Gravedigga thd Red Army. Semoga menambah wawasa kita yg jauh dimato ini.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Individual Win Games, But Teams win Titles
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Supernan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2011, 06:47 PM   #3
Ucup Carrick
captain
Rock n' Roll All Day and All
Of The Night

Thanked 1,304 Times in 618 Posts
Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Ucup Carrick is a glorious beacon of lightUcup Carrick is a glorious beacon of lightUcup Carrick is a glorious beacon of lightUcup Carrick is a glorious beacon of lightUcup Carrick is a glorious beacon of lightUcup Carrick is a glorious beacon of light

jujur gua jadi pengen awaydays...minimal sekali aja dah...
Old 19-06-2011, 08:09 PM   #4
tovanokristan
reserve player
anti rayap, ramah lingkungan,
bebas karatan

tovanokristan Ready for being a real United Indonesia
Visit tovanokristan's Facebook Visit tovanokristan's Twitter

Impian gw dari dulu ikut Red Army away kemana pun..
Pengen ngerasain atmosphere aslinya, semoga terkabul. Amin
tovanokristan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2011, 08:12 PM   #5
Redsbusby
BANG to the KE

Thanked 3,073 Times in 1,811 Posts
Mentioned: 134 Post(s)
Redsbusby has a reputation beyond reputeRedsbusby has a reputation beyond reputeRedsbusby has a reputation beyond reputeRedsbusby has a reputation beyond reputeRedsbusby has a reputation beyond reputeRedsbusby has a reputation beyond reputeRedsbusby has a reputation beyond reputeRedsbusby has a reputation beyond reputeRedsbusby has a reputation beyond reputeRedsbusby has a reputation beyond reputeRedsbusby has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by gravedigga View Post
Edisi kali ini saya membahas tentang 'away days' selama musim kemarin. Kebetulan kenal dengan Paul Liptrot ( penulis Away Days di thefaithfulMUFC.com - @TheFaithfulMUFC ). Paul lahir dan besar di Wigan, Greater Manchester, seorang ST holder sejak beberapa musim lalu. Paul bisa di-follow di Twitter dengan nama @NorthernCasual, sesuai namanya dia adalah penggila 'casual culture'

------------------------------------------------------------------------
I have renewed for next season. I know it's a point of contention at the minute with many people boycotting and urging others to do the same until the ownership changes. I don't agree with the current state of the club and the way it's being run but I don't want to let that stop me from doing something I love...watching United. It's as simple as that really, I want to go to see United.

^^ The Best Quote so far...
Seperti biasa nih, Thoughts of Our Red Army session selalu bikin WOW...

Pengetahuan sedikit terupgrade ttg kehidupan para Red Army dan Kehidupan sepakbola di Eropa....

THE ONLY THING WE WANT TO LOSE THIS SEASON IS THE DEBT
Redsbusby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2011, 08:32 PM   #6
gravedigga
academy
-

gravedigga is a jewel in the roughgravedigga is a jewel in the roughgravedigga is a jewel in the rough

Thanks for dropping comments. Moga2 ga pd bosen krn panjang bgt yg kali ini
gravedigga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2011, 06:33 PM   #7
rondwisan
udah sebelas yaa :)

Thanked 4,736 Times in 2,701 Posts
Mentioned: 567 Post(s)
rondwisan has a reputation beyond reputerondwisan has a reputation beyond reputerondwisan has a reputation beyond reputerondwisan has a reputation beyond reputerondwisan has a reputation beyond reputerondwisan has a reputation beyond reputerondwisan has a reputation beyond reputerondwisan has a reputation beyond reputerondwisan has a reputation beyond reputerondwisan has a reputation beyond reputerondwisan has a reputation beyond repute
Visit rondwisan's Facebook Visit rondwisan's Twitter

red army, the brave one nih ....
Men In Black yaa Sob ...
“Let’s not underestimate the other teams. They are very good teams and there are a lot of games to play before the end of the season. We’re in a good position. But that means nothing if you don’t win the next game.” - Dimitar Berbatov
rondwisan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2011, 02:28 PM   #8
marsel david
captain
I'M BACK!!

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
marsel david is a name known to allmarsel david is a name known to allmarsel david is a name known to allmarsel david is a name known to allmarsel david is a name known to allmarsel david is a name known to allmarsel david is a name known to all

mantap nih...
kebayang gimana rasanya awayday keluar inggris setelah ngeliat foto2nya
- HAIL VAN DER SAR #1-
marsel david is offline   Reply With Quote

(View-All Members who have read this thread : 7
arief_oct, azisfirdaus, dyan_giggs, irfi_1, Muhammad Nizar, NdeGue, Rean