United Indonesia - Manchester United Indonesia Supporters Club
Register
Go Back   United Indonesia - Manchester United Indonesia Supporters Club > INSIDE MANCHESTER UNITED > United Crew > Ex United

Old 14-02-2019, 08:12 PM   #1
Andi Istiabudi
manager
Youtube: Andi Istiabudi

Thanked 2,334 Times in 1,748 Posts
Mentioned: 146 Post(s)
Andi Istiabudi is a splendid one to beholdAndi Istiabudi is a splendid one to beholdAndi Istiabudi is a splendid one to beholdAndi Istiabudi is a splendid one to beholdAndi Istiabudi is a splendid one to beholdAndi Istiabudi is a splendid one to beholdAndi Istiabudi is a splendid one to beholdAndi Istiabudi is a splendid one to behold

Default [RIP] Eric Harrison

ERIC HARRISON PASSES AWAY

Manchester United is extremely saddened to report that our former youth coach Eric Harrison passed away on Wednesday. He was 81.

Recruited from Everton's staff in 1981, Eric served United with distinction as a mentor of young players, including a number of prodigies who achieved great success with club and country after graduating to the first team at Old Trafford.

The most famous group of youngsters to emerge under Eric's tutelage was the Class of '92 - his FA Youth Cup-winning side in that year included David Beckham, Nicky Butt, Ryan Giggs and Gary Neville. He led the club to another final of that prestigious competition in the following season, with Paul Scholes and Phil Neville added to the line-up, and then in 1995, the Reds won the trophy again, this time with Phil as captain.

Mark Hughes and Norman Whiteside were two notable players Harrison helped to develop in his first five years at the club, when he worked under the man who appointed him, Ron Atkinson. But it was during Sir Alex Ferguson's tenure that Eric's ability to guide and nurture talent really came to the fore and other examples who would rise through the ranks to the senior squad included Wes Brown and Darren Fletcher.

Eric was awarded the MBE for his services to football in the 2018 New Year honours list. Reacting to that achievement in December 2017, Sir Alex said of his former colleague: “If you wanted a teacher who would give you the right way forward, the right path, Eric was that man. He was fantastic in his time at United. When I came in as manager, I decided to keep him on the coaching staff. As I got to know him and the work he was doing, I realised it was a great decision.

”The Class of '92 was the pinnacle of his coaching but all the young players who came through at that time will recognise the contribution he made in their careers and the character he built in them. He made them good human beings.“

As a player, Harrison began his career with Halifax Town in 1957 as a wing half and he also represented Hartlepool United, Barrow and Southport.

After leaving United, he spent some time assisting Mark Hughes when his former prodigy was manager of the Wales national team.

Everyone at Manchester United sends their deepest condolences to Eric's family and friends at this sad and difficult time.

www.manutd.com
Andi Istiabudi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2019, 08:14 PM   #2
Andi Istiabudi
manager

Andi Istiabudi is a splendid one to beholdAndi Istiabudi is a splendid one to beholdAndi Istiabudi is a splendid one to beholdAndi Istiabudi is a splendid one to beholdAndi Istiabudi is a splendid one to beholdAndi Istiabudi is a splendid one to beholdAndi Istiabudi is a splendid one to beholdAndi Istiabudi is a splendid one to behold

Default Re: [RIP] Eric Harrison

'I'LL BE FOREVER INDEBTED TO ERIC HARRISON'

He was probably the man who made us.

If you take away the influence of your father, he was probably our second father. He was the one who took us from the age of 14 and delivered us to the first team, ready.

I think it’s disrespectful to talk just about the Class of ’92 because his biggest achievement was also those other players he brought through with equal ability that prepared them for life, not just Manchester United.

Like Sir Alex Ferguson said, this man didn’t just produce five footballers – if you look at Mark Hughes, Norman Whiteside, Wes Brown… there are hundreds of footballers that he produced, not just at Manchester United but for the rest of the football community, for soccer schools as well as the Welsh national team.

He’s probably one of the most special coaches this country has ever produced.

Eric didn’t prepare you for a life in football, he prepared you to succeed in life, with the values instilled in us. He had an unbelievable work ethic, the toughness of his attitude, the attention to detail in that he would not let you get away with absolutely anything. On and off the pitch, the way you spoke to the canteen ladies and the kit man, the way you dressed, your timekeeping… they were values that stood us in good stead for all our lives.

He taught us the value of hard work – he got us in early in the morning, he had us working three sessions a day, he pushed us and worked on our character. He didn’t just train us as football people. Over the last 24 hours, since we heard the news that he passed away, we’ve been speaking to all the players and all the youth-team players that we played with, and he had a massive, massive effect on everybody’s lives, not just the five Class of ’92 lads.

Gary spoke about teaching us to never give up – well, he never gave up on us. There were times when you were struggling, from 16 to 18, when you’d just left school, life was tough at times as a professional footballer but he never gave up on us. My abiding memory of Eric was probably when I’d left Man United and had joined Everton.

We had a game against Arsenal, which we had won 3-1 at Goodison Park, and I came off the pitch to find a text from Eric saying: ‘I need to speak to you on Monday morning.’ You know when your old headmaster speaks to you, you still think: ‘Oh no, what have I done?’ So, on the Monday morning, he rang me and got straight into how I had been in a one-on-one with Thierry Henry and I had turned my back on him.

This was something he used to work on with me every single day from 16-18 about not turning my back as a defender and to keep your eye on the ball, and he’d noticed, during this game, that I’d turned my back on Thierry Henry and he had managed to get a shot away. Even when I was 31, he’d never given up on me and he was always there for me.

He was a truly remarkable man and I personally owe him everything. I’m a manager now, and the standards that I try to give my players are the standards that he taught me. I’ll be forever indebted to him.

Phil was speaking to BBC Radio 5 Live.

www.manutd.com
Old 14-02-2019, 08:19 PM   #3
Andi Istiabudi
manager

SIR ALEX LEADS TRIBUTES TO ERIC HARRISON

Sir Alex Ferguson has led a wave of tributes to his former colleague Eric Harrison, following the news that the legendary Manchester United youth-team coach has passed away.

Sir Alex told us: “Eric's contribution to football, and not just at Manchester United, was incredible.

“When I came in as manager, I was lucky enough to have Eric on the staff as head of youth development, so I got to see the work he did and not just with the Class of '92 but with all the young players. He built character and determination in those young players and prepared them for the future.

“He was a teacher, he gave these players a path, a choice and he only did that through his own hard work and sacrifice. He was able to impart that education to the young which made him one of the greatest coaches of our time.

“On a personal level, Eric had a wicked dry sense of humour and was straight talking, and I admired that in him.”

Many of Eric's former protégés used social media to share their admiration for his life and work.

Gary Neville, the captain of the famous United side that won the 1992 FA Youth Cup, posted on Instagram: “We’ve lost our mentor, our coach and the man who made us. He taught us how to play, how to never give up, how important it was to win your individual battles and what we needed to do to play for Manchester United Football Club.

“He was always watching and always with us everytime we played. More importantly he made us understand how to work hard and respect each other and not just on the pitch. We won't forget the life lessons he gave us. Eric we love you and owe you everything.”

The message was signed off from 'Gary, Phil, Ryan, Paul, Nicky and David'.

David Beckham added: “I can still hear him telling me NO MORE HOLLYWOOD PASSES. I can still see him as we played on the Cliff training ground looking down on us with either a proud smile or a loud bang of his fist on the window, knowing any minute he would be on his way down to probably advise me in the most polite way to stop playing those passes.”

MORE TRIBUTES

Norman Whiteside: “Such sad news to hear about my former youth coach Eric Harrison’s passing. A born WINNER which he instilled in all his players. RIP Eric.”

Peter Schmeichel: “Eric Harrison, one of football's greatest people, has sadly passed away. Responsible for the development of the Class of '92 and so many other great players that came through the Man United Academy, he was one of the club's biggest heroes. RIP Eric.”

Ben Thornley: “Such sad news to hear of Eric Harrison’s passing - he was an integral part of my education - not only in football but life in general - hard work, commitment and respect. A brilliant mentor to whom I owe - as others before and after me do - so much. Thank you Eric, may you rest in peace xx.”

Former first-team coach Rene Meulensteen: “Saddened to hear of the news that Eric Harrison has passed away. He was a great coach who would always take the time to listen and offer great advice. What you’ve done for the club is incredible and your legacy will live on through many you’ve coached and mentored.”

Current first-team coach Mike Phelan: “A great coach and more importantly a great man. RIP Eric you brought so much to Man United Football Club.”

Michael Carrick: “So sad. Thoughts are with Eric’s friends and family. I’ve heard so many stories over the years about the influence Eric had on the lads coming through the youth team. Schooling and developing them into some of the world's best players. Such an integral part of the club. RIP.”

David May: “Gutted to hear the news about Eric Harrison. Thoughts are with his family, he was a lovely man.”

Wales international John Hartson: “Sorry to hear of the passing of Eric Harrison. I worked with Eric when he was Mark Hughes’s assistant with the Wales national team. Lovely man. RIP Eric.”

Danny Webber: “Sad to see you go Eric... Not only a great coach but a great man and a leader of men. #RIP #MUFC #MBE

Chris Casper: “Eric Harrison wasn't just a great coach in the development of many players, he was also a great man who guided young people and helped shape the lives of many more, thanks for everything Eric.”

Alex Bruce: “Devastated to hear the news about Eric. A special man who taught me the fundamentals of what it took to become a professional football player at a young age. Thoughts are with his family.”

Danny Higginbotham: “Eric Harrison was a wonderful coach for players coming through at Man United and helped produce some of the best but as much as anything he taught you how to conduct yourself and make that step from boy to man. A fantastic influence on so many including myself. RIP Eric.”

www.manutd.com
Old 14-02-2019, 08:22 PM   #4
Andi Istiabudi
manager

Mungkin ini adalah foto Eric Harrison yang paling terkenal ketika dirinya berpose bersama Class of 92...

Old 15-02-2019, 08:11 AM   #5
zudomiriku
Happy New Year 2023

Thanked 1,785 Times in 921 Posts
Mentioned: 274 Post(s)
zudomiriku has a reputation beyond reputezudomiriku has a reputation beyond reputezudomiriku has a reputation beyond reputezudomiriku has a reputation beyond reputezudomiriku has a reputation beyond reputezudomiriku has a reputation beyond reputezudomiriku has a reputation beyond reputezudomiriku has a reputation beyond reputezudomiriku has a reputation beyond reputezudomiriku has a reputation beyond reputezudomiriku has a reputation beyond repute

Eric Harrison was the Class of 92's sergeant major and nothing made him prouder than when the Manchester United boys he turned into true men won the Champions League

* Eric Harrison, the legendary Manchester United youth coach, has died
* Harrison famously brought the 'Class of 92' through the ranks to great success
* David Beckham, Ryan Giggs, Paul Scholes, Nicky Butt and Gary and Phil Neville were all coached by Harrison - and he dished out tough love
* His old-school methods shaped brilliant players with strong characters
* His crowning glory was when they all won the Champions League in 1999

Back in the day when we hadn't heard of any of them, the players who we would later label the 'Class of 92' used to do gym work as part of their training at Manchester United.

David Beckham, Ryan Giggs, Paul Scholes, Nicky Butt and Gary and Phil Neville were fit young athletes but they weren't as fit as their coach.

'Eric would come in and go on the bench press machine,' recalled Giggs. 'He would make sure everybody noticed him and he would not just lift the bar but the whole machine. He wanted to show us how tough he was.

Eric Harrison with the Class of 92 and the European Cup after Man United's 1999 triumph

As Manchester United's youth coach Harrison helped nurture (left to right) Ryan Giggs, Nicky Butt, David Beckham, Gary Neville, Phil Neville and Paul Scholes towards great careers. Terry Cooke (right) is the only player who did not go on to win the Champions League in 1999

'Back then being at United was like being in the army and Eric was the sergeant major.'

These recollections – and there are many from the players that Eric Harrison brought through – are important because they speak to the other side of the great United youth coach who passed away on Wednesday night.

In conversation – and Eric would always pick up the phone to people wishing to talk about Manchester United – Harrison was a gentle, considerate man. Like many great coaches of young players, he never stopped caring for the lads who were once under his care, no matter how old they were.

'If you see them, tell them I said hello,' was one of his stock phrases.

But as a coach in his pomp, Harrison was cut very much from old-school cloth. Born in West Yorkshire, he was never properly coached as a footballer until the day he signed for Halifax. He was, like many of his generation, self-taught, his skills honed on the street outside his house, in the back yard and, when the weather was bad, inside the house itself, passing a ball back and forth off the wall at the foot of the stairs.

So it is not hard to imagine his disdain for any young player he encountered at United who may have arrived with anything resembling airs and graces.

'I detest any footballer who does not give 100 per cent,' he once said.

'Professional footballers should get down on their hands and knees and thank god they are so lucky.

'It angers me the way some players moan and groan.'

Harrison was brought to United by Ron Atkinson in the early 1980s and was subsequently described by the Old Trafford manager as 'one of my best ever signings', some accolade given that Atkinson also brought Bryan Robson to the club.

Here Harrison sits on the Old Trafford bench with Ron Atkinson, who brought him to the club

Sir Alex Ferguson (right) would be the manager to reap the rewards of Harrison's great work

Largely, it was Sir Alex Ferguson who was to reap the benefit and in many ways the two men were the same. Harrison shared Ferguson's working-class upbringing but more importantly his belief that young players should be taught to be good men first and good footballers afterwards.

This, then, was at the heart of the Harrison philosophy, this was what lay at the very root of the tough love dished out on the fields of the Cliff, United's old training ground.

Harrison's relationship with Beckham and the rest endured to the day he died. Aware that he had been struck down by dementia they visited him together not long ago and they took cake.

Quote:
TRIBUTES TO ERIC HARRISON

David Beckham: He was always watching and always with us every time we played. I can still hear him telling me, 'NO MORE HOLLYWOOD PASSES'. I can still see him as we played on The Cliff training ground, looking down on us either with a proud smile or a loud bang of his fist on the window knowing any minute he would be on his way down to probably advise me in the most polite way to stop playing those passes.

Ryan Giggs: I’ve known Eric since I was 13 and he was a big part of my career. A great man and a tough coach, he instilled in us the principles of the game. Without a doubt is one of the biggest influences on my career.

Paul Scholes: Eric was special. He was the major influence. He was a genius as a coach. He was a really tough man to play for but that is what made us into the streetwise players we became. He is the one who taught us how to play football the Manchester United way.

Sir Alex Ferguson: Eric’s contribution to football, and not just at Manchester United, was incredible. When I came as manager I was lucky enough to have Eric on the staff as head of youth development, so I got to see the work he did and not just with the Class of 92 but with all the young players. He built character and determination in those young players. Eric had a wicked, dry sense of humour and was straight-talking and I admired that in him.

Phil Neville: He was our second father, the one who took us from the age of 14 and delivered us to the first team ready. I’m a manager now and the standards I try to give my players are the standards he taught me. I’ll be forever indebted to him.
In the thick of their development, though, Harrison was often the bad cop. On the first day of one pre-season, he told them they wouldn't need their boots for three weeks. On another day, with snow thick on the ground in Manchester, the boys expected to be assigned gym work but were astonished when Harrison produced a rugby ball.

He loved them all, though. At least he did the ones who were happy to buy into his creed of sacrifice, humility and hard work.

Harrison had many proud days in football but few prouder than the night in the Nou Camp almost 20 years ago when a team packed full of his graduates beat Bayern Munich to win the Champions League.

'I had been privileged to be at the helm as they had turned from boys into true men, achievers,' he reflected years later.

'That night, as the celebrations got underway, David, Ryan, Paul and the Neville brothers sought me out to share their joy.

'How did I feel? Thrilled? Yes. Flattered? Yes. Happy. But more than anything I thought to myself: 'What a lucky man.''

Code:
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-6704523/Eric-Harrison-Class-92s-sergeant-major-Manchester-United.html
Old 15-02-2019, 04:13 PM   #6
Andi Istiabudi
manager

Old 17-02-2019, 02:41 PM   #7
tumpal_oneunited
captain
Once United Always United!!

Mentioned: 165 Post(s)
tumpal_oneunited has a reputation beyond reputetumpal_oneunited has a reputation beyond reputetumpal_oneunited has a reputation beyond reputetumpal_oneunited has a reputation beyond reputetumpal_oneunited has a reputation beyond reputetumpal_oneunited has a reputation beyond reputetumpal_oneunited has a reputation beyond reputetumpal_oneunited has a reputation beyond reputetumpal_oneunited has a reputation beyond reputetumpal_oneunited has a reputation beyond reputetumpal_oneunited has a reputation beyond repute

RIP Eric Harrison
Sekilas mirip ama Sir Alex Ferguson ya wajahnya
tumpal_oneunited is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2019, 12:11 AM   #8
Andi Istiabudi
manager

Old 28-02-2019, 08:50 AM   #9
zudomiriku
Happy New Year 2023

Thanked 1,785 Times in 921 Posts
Mentioned: 274 Post(s)
zudomiriku has a reputation beyond reputezudomiriku has a reputation beyond reputezudomiriku has a reputation beyond reputezudomiriku has a reputation beyond reputezudomiriku has a reputation beyond reputezudomiriku has a reputation beyond reputezudomiriku has a reputation beyond reputezudomiriku has a reputation beyond reputezudomiriku has a reputation beyond reputezudomiriku has a reputation beyond reputezudomiriku has a reputation beyond repute

Sir Alex Ferguson led tributes to former Manchester United coach Eric Harrison on Tuesday

David Beckham, pictured inside Halifax Minster, shook hands with a fan in a Harrison shirt

More than 300 people were reported to be in attendance at the service on Tuesday afternoon

Ex-Manchester United assistant boss Brian Kidd shook hands with the minister pre-service

Ferguson penned a heartfelt eulogy where he hailed Harrison's impact on United's players

The funeral car arrived and was lifted from the car onto the shoulders of the pallbearers

Harrison's coffin, featuring three wreaths of red flowers, was carried into Halifax Minster

Funeral service card for ex-youth coach Harrison, who was laid to rest on Tuesday afternoon

David Beckham (left) and Gary Neville (right) arrive at the funeral of Harrison on Tuesday

Legendary manager Ferguson (left) arrived for the funeral along with Nicky Butt (right)

Ryan Giggs (left) attended the funeral at Halifax Minster alongside ex-team-mate Paul Scholes

Current Manchester United boss Ole Gunnar Solskjaer took time out to personally attend

Ferguson, chatting to Neville and Beckham, gave a eulogy on behalf of Manchester United

Former Manchester United player Mark Hughes arrived to pay his respects at the funeral

Code:
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-6747061/Manchester-United-icons-David-Beckham-Gary-Neville-attend-funeral-Eric-Harrison.html

(View-All Members who have read this thread : 5
Andi Istiabudi, rio vander vidic, Riskur, tumpal_oneunited, zudomiriku