United Indonesia - Manchester United Indonesia Supporters Club
Register
Go Back   United Indonesia - Manchester United Indonesia Supporters Club > INSIDE MANCHESTER UNITED > United Crew > Ex United

Old 01-05-2020, 07:18 AM   #141
Andi Istiabudi
manager
Youtube: Andi Istiabudi

Thanked 2,334 Times in 1,748 Posts
Mentioned: 146 Post(s)
Andi Istiabudi is a splendid one to beholdAndi Istiabudi is a splendid one to beholdAndi Istiabudi is a splendid one to beholdAndi Istiabudi is a splendid one to beholdAndi Istiabudi is a splendid one to beholdAndi Istiabudi is a splendid one to beholdAndi Istiabudi is a splendid one to beholdAndi Istiabudi is a splendid one to behold

Default Re: Andy Cole

ANDY COLE LAUNCHES NEW KIDNEY RESEARCH FUND

Andy Cole is creating a fund to advance research into kidney disease, to transform kidney transplants and help patients with their mental health and wellbeing.

The former Manchester United and England star was inspired to set up the Andy Cole Fund with Kidney Research UK, after suffering kidney failure in 2015. The 49-year-old has spent the last five years coming to terms with a ‘new normal’ and is now passionate about helping others cope with the challenges of kidney disease and transplants.

A MENTAL BATTLE

“I’ve been mentally strong enough to play football, but this is the toughest battle I’ve ever had to deal with,” said Cole, who is currently in self-isolation during the coronavirus pandemic. He’s admitted that, at times, the journey as a patient has been very dark. “I used to visit the doctor and make out I was fit and strong because I didn’t want to admit how hard it was. Yet, mentally, I was dying inside,” he said.

“I don’t want anyone to end up struggling like I did. The mental battle is bigger than the physical problem. Your mind is the most powerful thing in the world.”

Mental health and wellbeing is an under-researched area in kidney disease and this is one core focus of the Andy Cole Fund, which aims to raise at least £0.5m over the next three years.

Chief executive of Kidney Research UK, Sandra Currie, said: “We know that kidney failure can turn peoples’ lives upside down. It is a frightening time. Dialysis is gruelling, and life with a transplant – if you are fortunate enough to get one – is filled with uncertainty and risk. Kidney failure affects not only the patients but their families and loved ones.”

She continues: “We are so delighted that Andy is working with us to drive forward research and support to help those with kidney disease. It is inspiring that he is committed to making such a difference for other people.”

Andy, who was capped 15 times by England and is the third-highest scorer in Premier League history with 187 goals, added: “People see me and think I’m tough. But actually, mentally, I’m like anybody else.

“I 100 per cent thought I would have the transplant and feel like the old me again. Give me a couple of months, I’ll be up and doing my thing. I’ll be running around again like a young man. Then I got the harsh reality check. It doesn’t happen. It hits you hard. That’s why research into making things better for kidney patients is so important.”

ANDY'S KIDNEY TRANSPLANT MARKS A NEW CHAPTER

Cole, whose professional football career spanned 20 years, fell ill after a trip overseas where he contracted a viral infection. Doctors believe this caused further damage to an underlying silent kidney problem. Back in the UK, routine tests ended with a 12-day emergency stay in hospital, where he was placed on dialysis.

Then came the devastating news that he needed a transplant.

He received a kidney from his nephew in 2017, and says that, although his health is vastly improved, a transplant is not the end of the story for most people.

“Transplant is not a cure,” he said. “If it works, it gives a part of your life back and keeps you ticking over. But it’s a lot tougher than everyone makes out. We don’t really talk about kidneys because nobody understands them. But when they go wrong, it can be fatal.”

Transplanted kidneys only last, on average, 10 to 15 years. Kidney Research UK wants to transform transplants so a kidney transplant doesn’t have a time limit, but can last for life. The Andy Cole Fund will support this ambition.

ACCEPTANCE OF THE 'NEW NORMAL' IS HARD

From a super-fit sportsman who enjoyed regular gym workouts, Andy must now take daily medication to stay alive and monitor every aspect of his health.

The current pandemic has highlighted how vulnerable kidney disease has made him. The drugs he needs to stay alive mean he can easily pick up any infection so, for him, and all transplant patients, coronavirus could be fatal.

Despite this, his sights are now set on making the Andy Cole Fund a success and helping other people and their familes who are affected by kidney disease.

A NEW GOAL TO FIND BETTER TREATMENTS

Kidney Research UK has played a key part in Andy’s journey, helping him understand more about his condition and how research can change lives.

“I visited a research lab in Bristol, and the work they are doing there is phenomenal. As a result, I understand kidney disease and the medications a lot more. It was a mind-blowing experience. I really want to help push research forward,” he said.

“My goal now is to find better ways to help make life better for people living with kidney disease or a transplant. If I can help anybody else, then I’ll do just that. I’m calling on anyone who is touched by my story to support the fund and give hope to kidney patients. We need hope now more than ever.”

www.manutd.com
Andi Istiabudi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2020, 11:05 PM   #142
Andi Istiabudi
manager

Andi Istiabudi is a splendid one to beholdAndi Istiabudi is a splendid one to beholdAndi Istiabudi is a splendid one to beholdAndi Istiabudi is a splendid one to beholdAndi Istiabudi is a splendid one to beholdAndi Istiabudi is a splendid one to beholdAndi Istiabudi is a splendid one to beholdAndi Istiabudi is a splendid one to behold

Andy Cole Yakin MU Tak Akan Puasa Gelar Premier League Sampai 30 Tahun
Novitasari Dewi Salusi - detikSport

Jakarta - Eks penyerang Manchester United, Andy Cole, menilai bekas klubnya bisa bersaing untuk gelar Premier League dalam beberapa tahun ke depan. Ia menyebut MU berada di trek yang benar.

MU sudah puasa gelar Premier League selama tujuh tahun. Setan Merah terakhir kali menjuarai Premier League pada 2012/2013 yang juga merupakan musim terakhir Sir Alex Ferguson.

Sejak saat itu, MU kesulitan bersaing di papan atas. Mereka bahkan kepayahan untuk hanya sekadar finis di empat besar dan cuma sekali jadi runner-up.

Namun Cole meyakini MU akan segera kembali bersaing di jalur juara Premier League dalam beberapa musim yang akan datang. Dia percaya MU tidak akan bernasib seperti Liverpool yang harus menunggu hingga 30 tahun untuk mengakhiri puasa gelar Premier League.

Seperti diketahui, Liverpool sudah berada di ambang juara Premier League 2019/2020. Namun The Reds masih harus menunggu karena kompetisi tengah ditangguhkan gara-gara pandemi virus corona.

"Ada kemajuan pasti yang ditunjukkan. Ini soal membuat langkah-langkah kecil," ujar Cole kepada Sky Sports. "Ketika Anda bicara soal jadi penantang juara di liga dalam beberapa tahun ke depan, saya benar-benar akan mempercayainya."

"Liverpool butuh 30 tahun untuk ada di posisi ini. Saya tidak pernah mau melihat Man United di posisi itu, butuh 30 tahun untuk menjuarai Premier League lagi."

"Man United akan sampai ke sana, dengan pemain-pemain yang lebih bagus yang mereka pertahankan dan datangkan, mungkin musim depan atau setelahnya," katanya.
Old 05-05-2020, 12:51 PM   #143
Andi Istiabudi
manager

Q&A: COLE ON CHARITY, ENGLAND AND LEAVING UNITED

Andy Cole is the latest big-name guest on our MUTV Group Chat series and the Manchester United ambassador contributes to another fascinating episode, as he provides an update on a new charitable campaign and reflects on a stellar playing career at Old Trafford.

It was announced last week that the much-loved Treble winner has created a fund to advance research into kidney disease, to transform transplants and help patients with their mental health, after suffering kidney failure himself in 2015.

In this Q&A, Andy begins by discussing his project and how he is personally handling the ongoing lockdown, before admitting now is the first time he has properly analysed his achievements in football. He even reveals he left United “too soon” in 2001, but has naturally has his reasons…

It’s good to see you Andy! How are you, health-wise?

“Not too bad. Not too bad. I’m just struggling a bit with hayfever now! Forget the other stuff, hayfever’s bothering me now. But yeah, you get used to it.”

We read a pretty unflinching interview in the Guardian last week with Donald McRae. It sounded like certain days you had a really rough time?

“Certain days become a little bit difficult, getting out of bed becomes a problem. But the unfortunate thing is you don’t know when that day’s going to come, so as I’m with you today like this, tomorrow could be a totally different day, or the day after that. So it’s each day as it comes, keep moving forward.”

I’m guessing because of your kidney condition you have to be particularly careful with this virus around?

“Yeah, that’s what they keep saying. But it gets harder. This is week seven and I keep saying six weeks to go. If I get through this week I’ll be OK, that’s what I keep saying.”

Seven weeks of complete lockdown?

“Yeah, it’s funny. When my mates come round, I speak to them via the balcony or through the front door. I know people have said I’m unsociable at times, but it’s taking liberties now! People keep saying to me you’ve not changed one bit!”

I think a lot of us are finding the lockdown mentally tough, how do you find that side of things?

“For me personally that’s the toughest part. Mentally, you know you can only end up doing the same things every day. And you know you’ve got to do it, no matter how much you put it off you end up doing it. Living by myself through this period as well, that’s hard because you’ve got no-one to talk to in and around the apartment at the moment. That’s been the toughest part. I speak to my mates via Zoom, or on the phone, but that’s totally different. Times like this really make you appreciate being able to go out, go to your mates, or go out for a drink, especially now the sun’s coming out as well. It makes things a little bit harder.”

Have people been rallying round though? Obviously people know it must be difficult for you?

“Yeah, everyone’s been brilliant. I can’t lie about that. Sometimes I get a little bit embarrassed. I’m an individual, I’ve always wanted to do things for myself but I can’t do that anymore. I’ve told everyone I’m absolutely sick and tired of food now. My fridge is a joke! I’ve told them no more food. But like I said everyone’s been brilliant. I can’t thank them enough. After this period, I realise us in general, as people, if we can’t change after this then we’ll never be able to change.”

Do you think a period as bad as this might lead to changes in a lot of things?

“We have to. Ultimately, we’re never going to see something like in this our lifetime again. If this doesn’t bring us closer together as a nation and as people, we’ve got no chance. To see what the NHS is putting themselves through… to see how many people have lost their lives, it’s really disappointing, but just how much hard work people have put in through this period, it’s been absolutely unbelievable. We have to have a good look at ourselves and ask what can we do to help things move forward.”

One of the reasons we wanted to speak to you was you launched the Andy Cole fund in conjunction with Kidney Research UK. Could you just tell us a little bit about that?

“I spoke to Kidney Research some time ago. They wanted me to come onside as an ambassador and I was in two minds. I wasn’t sure whether I’d be able to do it mentally, because I knew how tough it was. Physically I knew what I was going through, but having the opportunity to speak with them and going up to the Transplant Games in Newcastle at the back end of last year. For me that was unbelievable. To watch so many people with the same illness at me, to still compete at some kind of level… They were preparing to go to the World Cup later this year, playing football .That’s been cancelled now, but I had a chat with them about how we train and that. The common denominator was that we were all going through the same thing. We all ended up crying like little babies. You wake up in the morning not knowing what to expect. But listening to all those guys and all the people there I said to myself if I can help I’d love to do that. I got involved in Kidney Research and we launched a fund on Thursday and I’m really looking forward to putting as much work into it as I can.”

Obviously all we can do while we’re at home is reflect. I don’t know if you’re the kind of person who does reflect on their career…

“I spoke to Dwight Yorke three weeks ago. We did something with Mark Sullivan and I said to them two, this is the only time I’ve reflected on my career. I sat down and thought about it, and thought you’ve ended up doing alright by the way. Take nothing away from my team-mates: I’ve always looked at myself as a team player, but when you’ve had this time to look at what you’ve actually achieved, I’ve done alright. I was speaking to my mate the other day about it and he said ‘are you taking the mick?’ And I said: ‘no I genuinely think I’ve done alright!’ And he started laughing at me! He said: ‘that’s your problem, you never give yourself a pat on the back’. But I’m not that type of guy. I’m always trying to go forward instead of back. In this situation I’ve had the opportunity to look back on what I’ve gone through, in terms of my playing career and the last five years. These last five years, it’s been so horrible, and then I look back further on that and I say through your playing career, you’ve got to look at those positives as well.”

I heard an interview you did with Andy Mitten from United We Stand where you basically said, on reflection, maybe you didn’t enjoy the good times enough as you should?

“Yeah, definitely. Just looking back, reflecting, you won something, you moved on. What are we going to do next season? So yes, looking back I wish I’d enjoyed it and spoke about it a little bit more. But I was so determined to move on to the next season, try my best and try and improve as an individual. I want to become a better person, a better player. So moving on wasn’t a problem for me. I never looked at my trophies, half of my shirts I’ve given to my kids. I’ve always been very focused, so having this time to reflect is a little bit different.”

When you look back Coley, it was actually 2001 when you left. Did you leave too soon?

“Yeah, I know I left too soon but my relationship with the manager was phenomenal. I always believed I was good enough to play in one major tournament and I was trying to force my way into the World Cup squad that year. I went to see the gaffer and he’d say ‘get out, I’m not talking to you.’ I was saying to the boss ‘I need to move on, I need to play games’ and he would just say I’m not selling you. In the end, I think I pestered him so much, he said ‘I know what you’re like, I know you want to play games and not sit on the bench, so we’ll come to a deal. I’ll move you on but you can stay for as long as you want.’ And when he said that I thought ‘I can stay at Man United for as long as I want, and see my contract out.’ He wasn’t forcing me out the door, which was brilliant. But I needed to play more games than the gaffer was prepared to give me at that stage. I can say now I should have stayed at United to see my career out, but on the flip side I’ve gone away and ended up winning the trophy I didn’t win: The League Cup. I weigh it up both sides now, knowing I could have stayed at Old Trafford, but I went away and managed to win the League Cup. Many years after that Man United won the League Cup a few times but that was the decision I had to make at that time.”

You only won 15 caps. I can’t believe that. Someone of your goalscoring ability, you look back at that and scratch your head…

“I remember when I was at Newcastle, I was absolutely flying. It was ridiculous the goals I was getting. David Davies phoned Kevin Keegan and explained why Terry [Venables] wasn’t putting me in the England squad. Kevin’s invited me to sit down in his office and to listen to the phone call. The shenanigans they were talking about for why I wasn’t getting in the England squad when I was scoring all these goals for Newcastle was a nonsense. So I’ve always said, my England career is going to be tough. When you’re scoring all these goals but the manager doesn’t want to pick you, what else are you supposed to do? And that’s when he came out with the quote: ‘I’m not preparing to give out caps like confetti’. Well, I’m doing my job for Newcastle scoring goals and you’re not going to give me a cap, if it’s like confetti, well I’m going to struggle. And that’s what my England career was like after that, every manager. My best one was probably Howard Wilkinson, because he believed I was good enough to play at that level. I know I was good enough to play at that level, because I was doing it every week for Man United in Champions League football – and we were playing against better teams! It was what it was in the end.”

You might have seen an interview Matteo Darmian this weekend. He said he thought [Marcus] Rashford had the talent to eventually win the Ballon D’Or and that he could be as good as [Kylian] Mbappe. What do you think about that?

“Anything is possible. Mbappe is young himself, but you can see the difference in levels between them two already. Marcus can close that gap gradually. You never know what’s possible in this game, you’re always improving. Man United are going to get better, Marcus will get better. I think he’s come out and said that’s his preferred position. If that’s the position he wants to play in, he can only improve in that position.”

What about current United, Coley. It was a terrible shame football was brought to a halt when it was, we were in terrific form at that point. But what do you make of United?

“We were. We were doing really well, we started to play some nice football as well. The signings were good as well, they really started to improve us. Everyone started believing in themselves a little more. That’s what I thought and I spoke with Ole a few times about it. We were talking about the confidence is coming back in the team and certain signings have made a massive difference, coming in with a breath of fresh air. All of a sudden that individual comes in and changes things and they start to believe in themselves a bit more. What I enjoyed before the break came around was the way we started playing football. Playing with more freedom, playing like Man United can play. That’s what Man United is about, playing galvanising football, entertaining and trying to score as many goals as possible. That’s what we were doing: scoring goals.”

What about Ighalo? He was a surprising signing but he obviously loves being here. What do you make of him, a slightly different kind of striker to what we had?

“It is. It totally came out the blue. But like you say he has come in and made a big impact. He seems a lovely guy, I’ve spoken to him a few times. He’s told me how happy he is to be at Man United. He’s a big fan, he wants to play his part. But for me personally it’s good Man United have brought in a number nine who actually wants to run in the box and score goals. That’s the appetite you’ve got to give players like [Anthony] Martial and Marcus, who obviously plays on the left. Ultimately when you get into that position you will start scoring your goals. Having someone like Odion come into the team, when he has done, he’s not let anyone down.”

When we get a former player on the chat we always ask them for their Man United six-a-side team of players they played with. You obviously played with some great players, who would you pick?

“What do you play, rush keeper? In six-a-side, sometimes you’ve got to play rush keeper. Scholesy, Skip [Roy Keane]. Jaap [Stam]. How many’s that? [Three]. Yorkie, Ruud [van Nistelrooy] and Giggsy. I know Yorkie can drop in there. Ruud isn’t dropping in there for anybody!”

Just on that point of Ruud, I think Wayne Rooney wrote Ruud would be really annoyed if he found out Thierry Henry had scored, because he’d be really desperate to win the Golden Boot. Can you associate with that sort of feeling?

“No. I love scoring goals, you know what I mean? As a centre-forward, you love scoring goals, but if I go in and the team has won 5-0 and I’ve not scored, why am I worrying myself? Why should I worry? We’re looking for May. When it’s the end of the season we want to be top of the league or walking out and winning the championship. So for me personally, if we score five and I’ve not scored, I’m not getting on the coach and not talking to anyone. I’m buzzing! I might get another game the week after, because I know the manager can’t change the team!”

What was your best goal for Man United? Maybe the best and the most important?

“I will go for the one against Tottenham at Old Trafford. You know why it’s the most important. As we know, the world goes round and you always come back to your starting point. When we lost the league in 1995, I had the worst summer ever. I was absolutely devastated. I can take all the flak, that didn’t really bother me. The flak was I cost us the championship and all that. But for me personally, I always had this thing driving me that I’d let so many people down, my team-mates and whatever. And I always wanted to get to that point where it was me turning it around. So to get that goal in that game, I think for me that was redemption. Personally and mentally, not just for me but I’d done it for my team-mates who I’d let down four years ago, the punters and whatever. For me personally that was probably my most important one.”

Surely the most important was the one you just rolled in against Juventus?

“No. You know why? The game was over. We were going through on away goals and I’ve always said to everyone the game was over. We’re 2-2, we’re going through on away goals. Yorkie that evening decided to be a bit greedy by going around the goalkeeper and I said that’s the first time, yeah, in us playing together, that you’ve never tried to slip me in. He went down, and the ref didn’t give a penalty. When I look back, it was pretty close to the post by the way. It was a tight angle. We got through, but the game was over.”

www.manutd.com
Old 23-05-2020, 08:00 PM   #144
Andi Istiabudi
manager

Old 10-09-2020, 06:38 AM   #145
Andi Istiabudi
manager

'I CAN SEE THEM BEING AT UNITED FOR MANY YEARS'

Manchester United’s in-form striking trio has given Andy Cole reason to set his hopes high ahead of the 2020/21 campaign.

Anthony Martial, Marcus Rashford and Mason Greenwood contributed 62 goals in all competitions between them last term to cement a place as one of Europe's most prolific front-threes.

And, with Martial the oldest of the three at 24, our Treble-winning former no.9 sees no reason why they can’t improve further and fire the Reds to glory this season – and in future years.

“They’re all young and energetic and have got good pace and can score goals,” Cole told us prior to Soccer Aid for Unicef on Sunday.

“I can see them being at Manchester United for many years and hopefully with those guys contributing more goals, and from wide areas, then hopefully, this season, we’ll be up there trying to win some silverware.”

Cole, of course, knows just what it takes to be a top Manchester United striker, having netted 121 goals in 275 games during his time at Old Trafford.

However, as well as being an ice-cold finisher in front of goal, Cole was also a selfless team player, combining well with his strike-partners – most notably Dwight Yorke, with the pair claiming 52 goals between them in 39 starts together during that memorable 1998/99 season.

That understanding is something embodied by our current sharpshooters, says Cole: “If you have the opportunity to score goals and contribute towards the team and help your team-mates out, then do it.

“Being at Manchester United, you’ve got to be a team player. It’s not all about you as an individual scoring as many goals as possible, you’ve all got to muck in.

“They [the relationships] are key. And those three look like they have a very good relationship off the pitch as well.

“On the pitch is where it counts. You touched on me and Dwight there - that came from the heavens that partnership.

“I enjoy watching the boys playing up front now, they all look like they enjoy it and they look like they’re very close-knit when they play together now which is great to see.”

www.manutd.com
Old 15-10-2020, 11:07 AM   #146
zudomiriku
Happy New Year 2023

Thanked 1,785 Times in 921 Posts
Mentioned: 274 Post(s)
zudomiriku has a reputation beyond reputezudomiriku has a reputation beyond reputezudomiriku has a reputation beyond reputezudomiriku has a reputation beyond reputezudomiriku has a reputation beyond reputezudomiriku has a reputation beyond reputezudomiriku has a reputation beyond reputezudomiriku has a reputation beyond reputezudomiriku has a reputation beyond reputezudomiriku has a reputation beyond reputezudomiriku has a reputation beyond repute

'My kidney basically packed up on me - I thought it was jetlag': Manchester United legend Andy Cole opens up on battling kidney failure, from the shock of the diagnosis, fearing for his kids and how overwhelmed he was when his nephew donated an organ to him

* Andy Cole has opened up on his battle and recovery from kidney failure
* The Manchester United legend was diagnosed with the condition in 2015
* Cole's nephew, Alexander, saved his life by donating one of his kidney

Manchester United legend Andy Cole has described the shock and fear he felt after being diagnosed with kidney failure in 2015.

Cole became ill after contracting Focal Segmental Glomerulosclerosis during an ambassadorial visit to Vietnam and was quickly rushed to hospital upon his return.

The former striker told how his kidneys 'packed up' on him and how his prior fitness levels stopped his body from shutting down.

Manchester United legend Andy Cole has opened up on his battle with kidney failure. The former striker spoke about the shock of the diagnosis and fearing for his children

'When I felt ill, I was like, "What's going on here?". I couldn't understand what I was going through regarding my illness, it came totally out of the blue,' Cole told the Official Manchester United podcast.

'It really ravished the way I was thinking, it was difficult to comprehend. I remember walking into the hospital and 10-11 days later coming out a totally different man.

'My kidney basically packed up on me. I was in Vietnam for the club, came back, got home and felt a little bit tired. I thought it was only jetlag, so I had a couple of paracetamols and went to bed. Tomorrow's a new day. The day after, I started putting on weight and the weight was 'rapido weight'.

Cole contracted Focal Segmental Glomerulosclerosis on an ambassadorial trip to Vietnam

'I was saying, "It's nothing". I remember my ex saying to me, "You've put on weight" and I was like, "Nah, nah that's nonsense, absolute nonsense." But the weight became more and more so I called [former club doctor] Doctor Stone, who came 'round, looked at me and said, "Ok, I'm going to get you to run some tests." So I went, I think it was a Saturday. He called me first thing Monday morning and he had something going on in his voice. "You need to get to hospital, quickly, they're waiting for you". "Ok."'

Cole, who won nine trophies during his six-year spell at Old Trafford, said he didn't have the energy to move and was constantly sleeping but remembers fearing for his children.

'In those days I didn't have any time to think about myself. Before I got thinking I was like, "What about my kids?". I remember the Doc consolidated me, "Don't worry about your kids". I was saying, "No, no, no, my kids, my kids, my kids". When they settled me down in hospital and explained to me what it is… I might have been there three to four days before they actually told me what it is.

'When I went down with all the symptoms, I blew out, I went up to about 18 stone, something like that but I couldn't move. All I did was sleep, I couldn't move, I was out constantly.

'This was four days. I was on dialysis, straight away I was that bad. They tried to clean my blood out, get that going again. I was in a really bad way and if I didn't go to the hospital that day that would've been it. They said my fitness levels were so high that from the time I walked in on Monday, by the time I collapsed that was it. That was how it would have ended.

'Before that, the three days I was at home and I was so fit. That was what kept me going. Collapsing in the hospital, that was my body saying I'm done. I collapsed in the right place basically.'

The 48-year-old also spoke about the overwhelming moment when his nephew, Alexander, saved his life by donating him one of his kidneys.

'Alexander, he came to see me one day when I was still living in Cheshire. I just woke up groggy from my medication and he said "I can't do this anymore." "What are you on about?". "That's it, I can't see you like this."

'I couldn't walk, I could just about get to the toilet, get back and I was so out of breath it was unbelievable. He said, "I'm gonna donate my kidney". I remember saying, "No, no, no you're far too young for this, this is a long-term project."

'He said, "I'm done, I can't see you like this. I come, look at you, you're sleeping, you can't do this, you can't do that. I can't do it".

'I was getting really emotional and so was he. He wanted to give me his kidney, he donated his kidney for me.'

Cole has since set up the Andy Cole Fund with Kidney Research UK which aims to help others cope with the challenges of kidney disease and transplants.

Code:
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-8833039/Manchester-United-legend-Andy-Cole-opens-battling-kidney-failure.html
Old 16-10-2020, 08:38 AM   #147
Andi Istiabudi
manager

Old 16-10-2020, 08:45 AM   #148
Andi Istiabudi
manager

Statistik yang tidak perlu diragukan lagi

Old 16-11-2020, 10:49 AM   #149
zudomiriku
Happy New Year 2023

Thanked 1,785 Times in 921 Posts
Mentioned: 274 Post(s)
zudomiriku has a reputation beyond reputezudomiriku has a reputation beyond reputezudomiriku has a reputation beyond reputezudomiriku has a reputation beyond reputezudomiriku has a reputation beyond reputezudomiriku has a reputation beyond reputezudomiriku has a reputation beyond reputezudomiriku has a reputation beyond reputezudomiriku has a reputation beyond reputezudomiriku has a reputation beyond reputezudomiriku has a reputation beyond repute

'To be honest, I was one of the worst. You picked on the weakest': Andrew Cole opens up on bullying, why his old club Manchester United won't win the title and his 'arrogant' reputation

* Andy Cole has opened up to Sportsmail about his struggles to fit in and racism
* The iconic striker played for Newcastle and Manchester United among others
* In his new book, Cole has detailed his journey back in a life plagued by illness
* He recalls being introduced to racism in football and his time at an FA academy

The top five Premier League strikers of all-time? It’s a straightforward question but Andrew Cole is hesitating, unsure of where to go on this. Thierry Henry and Alan Shearer are both a given. ‘Aguero, he would definitely be in there,’ he says. ‘Rooney would be in there, Van Nistelrooy would have a shout...’

Come on Andrew! The obvious omission is Cole himself, third on the all-time list with an extraordinary 187 goals. Throw in a Champions League title, five Premier League titles, two FA Cup wins and in reality there is no doubt.

‘You can say that,’ he offers cautiously. ‘The perception everyone has of me is arrogant… if I was to put myself in the top five, everyone would be telling me how arrogant I am. Everyone wants to talk about what I’ve done in my career, the goals I’ve scored, but no one wants to give me the credit for doing it. I would never put myself in that top five.’

commerce bank phone number
Andrew Cole has opened up to Sportsmail about his struggles to fit in and his superb career

Cole, who goes by Andrew rather than Andy as he was known in his playing days, is talking about his unusually honest (for a footballer) autobiography, in which weaknesses are laid bare, including the breakdown of his marriage and the decline in his physical prowess since his kidney failed in 2015 and he had a transplant in 2017.

It is a moving chronicle of a journey from being an elite sportsman to a life where daily pills, the risks of health complications and the need to isolate through the coronavirus have become a necessity. His nephew, Alexander, aged 26 at the time, donated his kidney in an astonishing act of love.

Cole details the struggle back to something as close to normal as he can manage. It is also the journey of a black man making his way in the last 49 years in Britain. As such, it has an element of social document.

Former Newcastle and Manchester United striker Cole has chronicled his journey through life

Arrogant was just one word oft used against Cole back in the day when he was scoring so prolifically for Newcastle and Manchester United. Aloof and cold were others. Twenty years ago this was an interview you might have dreaded doing. Andy Cole? Good luck with that! Turns out there was much more to him than the caricature.

‘So many people have mentioned that already,’ he says. ‘Reading the book is so different to what perceptions are [of me]. Of course, no one is what other people perceive them to be. I’m not that individual that people think I am.’

Cole was an exceptional footballer but he had good reason to be suspicious of people outside his immediate circle. Had he been more amenable to the media, there would doubtless have been more regard for his iconic status. ‘One hundred per cent,’ he says. ‘But you shouldn’t be judged by that, you should be judged by your talents. Not because I run to the microphone and do an interview.’

So how to judge Andrew Cole, the son of Nottinghamshire miner, Lincoln, who came to England from Jamaica as part of the Windrush generation in 1957? Miners’ sons have a rich heritage in football folklore: Kevin Keegan, Bill Shankly, Jock Stein, Sir Matt Busby, Jackie Milburn, the Charlton brothers. Cole is like a throwback to another era but with a twist, in that the role of Afro-Caribbean miners is little acknowledged.

‘I’m not scared of hard work,’ says Cole. ‘I’ve seen my dad work hard, I’ve seen my dad ill. All he ever wanted from me was to work hard.’ He had what he describes as a traditional Jamaican upbringing. ‘Whoopings, beatings… like reggae and cricket were simply part of my childhood,’ he writes.

‘To have a lie-in at my house was a problem to my dad. He wouldn’t accept having a lie-in. It could be the weekend, he’s still not having it. Caribbean kids, growing up it was tough love. Give love with one hand and take it with the other.

‘What would I make of myself? I was a bit lively. [But it] doesn’t take much in the household I was growing up in for my father to say: “Oh he’s a naughty boy!” Growing up with Caribbean parents, you would have to toe the line, whatever it was. Someone speaks to you, that’s the only time you speak. Otherwise you see, you hear, that was the way we were brought up.’

His parents’ experiences were familiar to that generation. Enticed to a promised land, they were met with the ‘No Blacks’ signs in lodgings. Cole says his father enjoyed the camaraderie in the pit, which contrasted with some of the hostility above ground.

Cole's parents were met with 'No Blacks' signs in lodgings after moving to a promised land. Cole was introduced to racism while playing football with his first experience at the age of 13

‘I think he looks at it now [coming to England] and no doubt it’s been a good experience, an experience which was very tough at the start. Knowing my dad, he’d say: “I’m glad I’ve done it”. My dad came to this country and he had no friends and no family. Could I do that? With no friends, no family, nothing?’

Cole did not experience racism growing up in the multi-cultural street in Lenton, Nottingham. It was football that introduced him to that particular evil.

But school was where the less-overt racially-influenced labels began. ‘I got through school, that’s what I did,’ he says. ‘I think we [black boys] were unfairly categorised and misunderstood. People would always think that if something happened, you’d be involved. “What was Coley doing?” “Coley wasn’t actually there”. “Coley wasn’t there? Coley was doing something else? Ah. That’s a surprise”.’

Yet he concedes there is nuance to this. He was suspended on one occasion for blowing up a Bunsen burner in the lab. Still, all the tropes are there, the labels that were attached to many young black men. Cole refers to them in the book: ‘angry young man’; ‘troublemaker’; ‘problem with authority’.

At the age of 13, a senior pro at Nottingham Forest shouted: ‘Oi, Chalky!’ at him. Inside, he was fuming. ‘Kick up a fuss and then the talk starts: “Oh, he’s got an attitude”,’ writes Cole. So he bottled it up and simply decided Forest was not the club for him.

You would hope current children would not experience the same but Cole explains that is not to say all is well. He understands why taking the knee became a powerful symbol after the protests for racial justice following the death of George Floyd. But he wants more than symbolic protests. ‘I want action now,’ he says. ‘It [taking the knee] is fantastic. But we need to move forward. What are we doing next? I want someone to come out in the next couple of months and say: “This is the next stage”. Or are we going to continue to take the knee for the next couple of months without anyone saying anything? We need to go forward.’

At 14, he headed off to what was then the FA’s elite academy at Lilleshall, where the best male footballers of a generation would board, train and attend the local school before being expected to resume professional careers.

The book also details hideous initiation ceremonies in which older boys would physically beat the new arrivals in their dormitories. ‘We were young kids having to start at the bottom and in those days it was part of growing up.’ He laughs nervously, unsure of how to process what is actually abuse and negligence on the part of adults who allowed it. ‘I’m not going to lie: the ones who didn’t make it, we always said couldn’t hack it. The ones who did, we said we had something about us.

‘It wasn’t easy, the first few months, you had to set your parameters against the older boys. Every now and then you have to dig one of the older boys to show the rest of the older boys it’s not happening. That’s how we grew up. There was no calling mum and dad. There was none of that. You called mum and dad you most probably would get it worse.

‘We had no option. In the first week the older boys come down and they pick on who they think is the weakest. And you realise once you throw a few digs and get one of them by themselves and let them know, then word gets round and [they’ll] leave it.

‘That’s the way it went. A year after, the younger boys come in and we’ll do the same thing. And I’ll be brutally honest, I was one of the worst. All you did was test the youngest boys. And if the youngest boys set their parameters, from there you would get on as normal. The school we went to, we actually all looked after each other. It wasn’t like we bullied each other every day. It was initiation and after that we’re all 32 boys living together, trying to do the right thing. We go to the normal comprehensive and, if they pick on one of us, they pick on all of us.’

This was the 80s, far removed enough from the present. And yet close enough in time to remain shocking that an FA boarding school charged with caring for children could allow it to happen.

When he moved to Arsenal at 16, he quickly felt that then manager George Graham was never going to give this seemingly brash teenager an opportunity. He was once called into the manager’s office where Graham tried to cut him down with a withering putdown: ‘You think you’re the bee’s-knees, dinya?’

The effect was rather lost on Cole, who sat there none the wiser as to what had been said and had to ask Graham to repeat himself several times as he attempted to decipher his thick Glaswegian accent. He was sold to Bristol City soon after where Denis Smith, the manager, told him the £500,000 transfer fee meant that the club had ‘done their entire budget on him’.

‘I was saying: “How you going to build this team?” He said: “I have. I have built the team on you”. That’s an individual who trusted me, believed in me, that I was good enough to do what he wanted.

‘If I was who I am now, George wouldn’t bother me. But when you’re trying to get somewhere and people are always questioning you, your attitude, your desire … all I used to say to people was you don’t understand or know where we’re coming from. If you understood where I was coming from you would look at it totally different. But in Arsenal’s case they were never prepared to give me that opportunity. “Ah, we had others in front of him”. But we’ll never know because you didn’t want to give me that opportunity.’

Sir Alex Ferguson dramatically paid £6m to sign Cole for Manchester United in their heyday

Except, of course, they do know now. And, incidentally, his relationship with Graham warmed after he left. Cole would score 21 goals for Bristol City in 41 games, earning him the £1.75million move to Keegan’s Newcastle, where he would score 56 in 70, winning the Golden Boot in 1994 with 40 goals.

That brought about one of the most dramatic transfers of the Nineties when Sir Alex Ferguson paid £6m to take him to Manchester United in their heyday. So controversial was the move that Keegan famously came out on to the steps of St James’ Park to reason with angry fans as to why he had let their talisman go.

At United, he would win all the silverware, scoring 121 goals in 275 appearances. He was a team-mate of Ole Gunnar Solskjaer and remains a club ambassador so unsurprisingly is supportive of the manager. But he does warn that the patience required to wait for United to get anywhere near like their past self will be considerable.

‘United won’t be winning the league in the next two years. We have to brutally honest. I watched that game the other day: Man City v Liverpool. Come on! We can all see. Those are by far the best two teams. To close the gap on that is going to take time.’

And though part of this book can read like a lament for his lost athleticism, he also indicates that he is beginning to come to terms with his new life. ‘I’ve had the time to reflect during the lockdown period and it [my career] was a phenomenal achievement and I’m very proud to have been involved in something that will stay with me for the rest of my life. I won’t forget it in a hurry.

‘[But] you have to accept where you’re at, even though you have to move forward. Looking at what I was five years ago - fit, healthy - to who I am now, it is a big difference. That’s a transformation you have to make. And you have to make it mentally, as well. And mentally it takes longer because you turn around and say these five years have gone. I am not the same person I was five years ago.’

Does he ever get to the point of acceptance? He sighs. ‘I take it day by day. I have good days, bad days and days when I’m in the middle. But I keep trying. That’s what I keep saying to myself: “Keep trying”.’

Code:
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-8949445/Andrew-Cole-opens-bullying-Manchester-United-arrogant-reputation.html
Old 14-01-2021, 07:41 AM   #150
Andi Istiabudi
manager

MU Puncaki Liga Inggris, Andy Cole Masih Tak Yakin Bisa Juara
Rifqi Ardita Widianto - detikSport

Jakarta - Laju stabil Manchester United mengantar mereka ke puncak klasemen Liga Inggris. Tapi eks penyerang MU Andy Cole tak yakin soal juara.

MU memimpin klasemen Liga Inggris setelah mengatasi Burnley 1-0, Rabu (13/1/2021) dini hari WIB. Tambahan tiga poin membawa 'Setan Merah' kini mengumpulkan 36 poin, unggul tiga poin dari jawara bertahan Liverpool di posisi dua.

Bruno Fernandes dkk bahkan punya kesempatan memperlebar selisih itu, karena akan bertandang ke Liverpool, Minggu (17/1) nanti. Kemenangan atas sang rival berat niscaya turut menghadirkan dorongan mental yang sangat bagus.

Dengan MU kini sudah tak terkalahkan di 11 pertandingan beruntun liga, memenangi sembilan di antaranya, pembicaraan soal kans juara pun menguat. Laga kontra Liverpool adalah kesempatan mengonfirmasinya.

Tapi Andy Cole masih belum yakin dengan peluang juara Manchester United. Pemilik lima medali juara Premier League bareng MU itu melihat tim saat ini masih belum di titik optimal untuk jadi memenangi liga.

"Saya akan jujur dengan Anda, bisakah Manchester United melaju dan memenangi liga musim ini? Mungkin tidak," ujarnya kepada talksport dikutip Metro.

"Menurut saya, Manchester United memuncaki Premier League, seperti yang dikatakan Ole, adalah pencapaian fantastis mempertimbangkan posisi mereka beberapa bulan yang lalu."

"Untuk menutup jarak dalam semusim, dari finis tertinggal sekitar 40 poin di belakang Liverpool, untuk menutupnya lalu memenangi titel, itu catatan yang bukan main-main. Bakal butuh konsistensi, sih."

"Untuk memenangi titel musim ini akan butuh sejumlah usaha. Saya tak merasa kami punya cukup kekuatan untuk maju dan memenanginya musim ini, tapi memang fantastis bisa melihat mereka di posisi ini dan tentu saja menantikan kiprah musim depan, yang mana bisa jauh lebih baik," sambung Andy Cole.

(View-All Members who have read this thread : 46
adrieee, alfiandrmwn, and1, Andi Istiabudi, Blacklist7, Deddy Hernandez, dyan_giggs, ecly_watchaa, fajrinited, ferly_Liemz, fey777, fikarsoegiharto, fredrian.seven, frmnsyh_KEANO, Grace Naibaho, iamsetia, irfi_1, jifortin, jonajoni, LAM ILHAM, marsel david, MUFC1878, mygalzbiatch, NdeGue, penk22_, Pery#24, Rean, rio vander vidic, Riskur, sepatu_ancur, stamansa, Thomas, Trezz Kiko, tumpal_oneunited, Ucup Carrick, UdyMUFC, uicb-dyz, UNITED1878, Van_Munandar, wira_ozora, zudomiriku