View Single Post
Old 25-12-2014, 03:52 PM   #6
troy andreas

Thanked 1,947 Times in 1,102 Posts
Mentioned: 273 Post(s)
troy andreas has a brilliant futuretroy andreas has a brilliant futuretroy andreas has a brilliant futuretroy andreas has a brilliant futuretroy andreas has a brilliant futuretroy andreas has a brilliant futuretroy andreas has a brilliant futuretroy andreas has a brilliant futuretroy andreas has a brilliant futuretroy andreas has a brilliant futuretroy andreas has a brilliant future

Visit troy andreas's Twitter
Default Re: Van Gaal: No choice but to rotate

Van Gaal explains tactical formation choice
Report by Adam Marshall

Louis van Gaal has admitted to MUTV his hand has been forced when it comes to selecting his formation for Manchester United's recent Barclays Premier League matches.

The boss has been pleased with the work of Ashley Young and Antonio Valencia in wing-back slots but feels the attacking duo are not suited to orthodox defensive roles. With Rafael still to appear after injury, despite being on the bench last weekend, and Luke Shaw sidelined since sustaining ankle ligament damage at Arsenal, there has been a preference for a three-man central defence of late.

Young and Valencia have pushed forward to good effect, setting up goals against Aston Villa and Liverpool respectively, but the system could revert to a flat back four when Rafael and Shaw are back fully fit.

"Yeah, but as wing-backs and not as full-backs," the manager replied when asked how pleased he has been with Young and Valencia. "Now I am more or less obliged to play with wing-backs because the real full-backs, Shaw and Rafael da Silva, were not fit enough and that is not good. I have to select what I want but now I am forced to select. For a manager, that is not so good."

With Newcastle United welcomed to Old Trafford on Boxing Day, the Dutchman is still working out how best to utilise his players when they are all available. Angel Di Maria has been employed on the flanks and in an attacking role since initially shining in a more central position and the Argentinian's adaptability should prove useful in the upcoming games.

When asked about Di Maria's best position, van Gaal conceded: "We still have to find that out. It is also [about] the composition of the team, we have to look for the best team also because all of the players were injured so I could not select the team that I want."

With the Reds sitting in third place in the table and only being denied a seven-game winning run with the draw at Villa Park last time out, the fact the boss has still to name what he feels is his best XI must be very encouraging for all United fans as 2014 comes to an end.

"setial masa ada orangnya, setiap orang ada masanya."