Thread: Roy Keane
View Single Post
Old 10-09-2010, 12:38 PM   #13
RedRob
first team

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
RedRob is a jewel in the roughRedRob is a jewel in the roughRedRob is a jewel in the rough

Default Re: Roy Keane

keep going Keano... we'll wait for your return to Old Trafford..

======

Roy Keane is reborn as Irishman
thrives on the quiet life at Ipswich Town

Michael Walker | dailymail.co.uk

Quiet and steady is not a phrase that has attached itself to Roy Keane down the years of glory and controversy but it felt appropriate at Portman Road on Thursday.

Keane has moved to the edge of the radar geographically and in terms of limelight. In return, Ipswich Town have begun to prosper.

It may be mere coincidence but it is a contrast with this time last season, when Keane was expected to jump start Ipswich’s automatic promotion, only to find they could not win a Championship game until October. Ipswich finished the season in 15th place.

That sucked enthusiasm out of Portman Road and scuffed Keane’s reputation. Then owner Marcus Evans moved the goal posts financially. Captain Jon Walters has just been sold to Stoke. This August could have been even more tricky than last.

Yet, as they prepare to meet Portsmouth, Queens Park Rangers and Cardiff City in the next nine days, Ipswich are undefeated and Keane was nominated for manager of the month for August.

Keane set himself a two-year target for promotion on arrival at Portman Road in April 2009 and thinks that can still happen. ‘I’m a dreamer,’ he said.

His contract will expire next June, a fact he is ‘dead relaxed’ about. The Keane family are now in Suffolk and it would appear to agree with them all.

‘I’m more comfortable, absolutely,’ said Keane. ‘I came in last year and changes had to be made at the club — the dynamics, the energy, the players, some staff changes. I’m much more comfortable where I’m at. That doesn’t guarantee you winning football matches, but I think it gives you a slightly better chance.

‘Decent results help players. It’s like the opposite of last year, now we’ll travel on the bus on Friday in good spirits. There will be a good bit of banter, we’ll be ready and raring to go. Our fans travelling down will know that they’re seeing a different Ipswich now, a lot of energy, a lot of spirit. It’s good.

‘It was a strange old pre-season. There was a lot of doom and gloom, pre-season matches and tours that were supposed to go on didn’t, players were going out the door, but it’s created something among the players, a strange togetherness, shall we say. Other clubs have done it over the years, the Wimbledons and Millwalls.

‘That’s kind of suited us, whereas this time last year everyone thought we were going to walk the league, which was crazy with the squad we had. It was never going to happen.’

Keane said he is ‘OK’ with the new economics at Portman Road. ‘No matter what way you look at it, Ipswich haven’t been successful for eight, nine, 10 years and that takes its toll on the club financially,’ he said.

‘I’ve had to adapt as a manager, I’ve had to wheel and deal a bit more. I hope it’s made me better.’

At 39, Keane has time on his side, but he knows it is a big season for him.

Soon he will have 17-year-old striker Connor Wickham back. That will help.

Ipswich have so far resisted the inevitable offers, which indicates some muscle —although Keane was not sure it would be the case in the January transfer window.

It may be a different Ipswich and a different Keane but he was pleased to say of Wickham: ‘He certainly hasn’t changed, he’s not driving a Bentley yet.’