View Single Post
Old 03-10-2009, 01:25 AM   #3
rondwisan

Thanked 4,736 Times in 2,701 Posts
Mentioned: 567 Post(s)
rondwisan has a reputation beyond reputerondwisan has a reputation beyond reputerondwisan has a reputation beyond reputerondwisan has a reputation beyond reputerondwisan has a reputation beyond reputerondwisan has a reputation beyond reputerondwisan has a reputation beyond reputerondwisan has a reputation beyond reputerondwisan has a reputation beyond reputerondwisan has a reputation beyond reputerondwisan has a reputation beyond repute
Visit rondwisan's Facebook Visit rondwisan's Twitter
Default Re: [Legend] Steve Bruce

United legend lifts the lid on first few days at Old Trafford
sport.co.uk, Ben Moss - 02 October 2009 - 16:04

Manchester United legend Steve Bruce admits he was scared when he first entered the Old Trafford dressing room as a player in 1987. The stalwart had been signed by Sir Alex Ferguson from Norwich for £800,000, and even though he jokes he was probably the manager’s fifth choice target, the ex-Crystal Palace, Birmingham City and Wigan boss would later become one of the cornerstones to United’s first Premier League title in 1993. Bruce takes his Sunderland side to United tomorrow, and he still retains fond memories of his playing career at the Theatre of Dreams.

Bruce told the Manchester Evening News: “I was frightened.”

“I walked into the dressing room and thought, 'Oh my God, I have seen all these players on the telly'.

“I didn't go there until I was 27, and I had only played two years in the top flight, so it was a bit of a gamble.

“To be fair, I think Fergie had missed out on about five or six centre-halves and I was seventh on the list, but you would have to ask him that!

“We struggled to begin with, we struggled in the early years and when we look back now and think they have won the Premier League 10 times since 1993 it's quite staggering because it took something like 26 years to win.”
rondwisan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to rondwisan For This Useful Post: