Thread: [LEGEND] Pele
View Single Post
Old 05-08-2009, 01:29 PM   #8
Ucup Carrick
captain

Thanked 1,304 Times in 618 Posts
Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Ucup Carrick is a glorious beacon of lightUcup Carrick is a glorious beacon of lightUcup Carrick is a glorious beacon of lightUcup Carrick is a glorious beacon of lightUcup Carrick is a glorious beacon of lightUcup Carrick is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: [LEGEND] Pele

wah..ternyata beliau pernah menolak tawaran United untuk gabung ke Old Trafford...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/5000338.stm
Pele 'rejected Old Trafford move'

Pele's revelations came as a surprise to Manchester United
Brazil legend Pele has claimed he turned down a move to Manchester United - and a host of Europe's elite clubs.

Pele, who spent the peak years of his career at Santos, revealed United made their approach in 1968, but he was happy to stay in South America.

He told The Guardian: "I even had a proposal from Manchester United.

"I said no to every team that asked me. Real Madrid was the best team who wanted me. They were a very good team but I didn't want to leave Santos."

Pele admitted he could also have joined AC Milan and Juventus, but his revelations appear to have come as a surprise to Manchester United.

Wilf McGuiness, who worked alongside Sir Matt Busby in 1968 before succeeding him as manager, said: "It would have been wonderful if it had happened.

"It's the first I've heard of it as well, but if he (Busby) was speaking to someone as special as Pele, he could be forgiven for keeping it as quiet as possible."

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2...wsstory.sport4

Pele reveals United tried to take him to Old Trafford in 1968

* Daniel Taylor
* The Guardian, Saturday 20 May 2006

Manchester United were wondering about the one that got away last night, after Pele belatedly revealed that he turned down an offer to join the club in the year of their first European Cup success. The most famous sporting icon on the planet claimed he was given the chance to team up with George Best, Denis Law and Bobby Charlton in what would have been the most formidable attacking line-up of any squad in history.

Pele has never spoken publicly before about United's desire to sign him but, 38 years after the club's historic 4-1 defeat of Benfica, he made the revelation during an exclusive interview with the Guardian. The Brazilian began by declaring that he could have joined Juventus, Milan and Real Madrid, as well as a couple of Mexican clubs. Asked if he was tempted by any of these offers, Pele instead exclaimed, "Manchester! I even had a proposal from Manchester United."

"Manchester United? Really?"

"Yes," he replied.

"After the 1970 World Cup?"

"No, 1968 . . . their best team."

Pele went on to say that he turned down United because he wanted to remain in Brazil with Santos. His presence at Old Trafford would have changed the history of English football and turned United into even more of a superpower but he made it clear he had no regrets. "No, no, no. I said no to every team who asked me," he said. "Real Madrid was the best team who wanted me. They were a very good team. But I didn't want to leave Santos."

Mark Whiley, the curator of Manchester United's museum, confirmed last night that the club had spent the last 38 years in the dark. "It's the first we had heard of it," he said. An Old Trafford spokesman added: "There is nothing official in our records but this club has always been looking to attract the best players in the world - and Pele is clearly in that category."

Wilf McGuinness, who worked alongside Matt Busby and replaced him as manager in 1969, said: "It would have been wonderful if it had happened. It's the first I've heard of it as well, but if he [Busby] was speaking to someone as special as Pele, he could be forgiven for keeping it as quiet as possible."

Last edited by Ucup Carrick; 05-08-2009 at 01:32 PM..
Ucup Carrick is offline   Reply With Quote