View Single Post
Old 09-09-2009, 10:58 PM   #8
sir_otz
first team

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
sir_otz is just really nicesir_otz is just really nicesir_otz is just really nicesir_otz is just really nicesir_otz is just really nice

Default Re: Ex - United player News

Posted: Wednesday September 9, 2009 7:57 AM
Mark Robins appointed manager of Barnsley

LONDON (AP) -Former Manchester United striker Mark Robins, the man credited with saving Alex Ferguson's job in 1990, was hired Wednesday as manager of League Championship team Barnsley.

The 39-year-old Robins will move to Barnsley from Rotherham after agreeing to a compensation fee with his former club.

"I am delighted to be here after a protracted few days and I can now start the job,'' Robins said. "It has been frustrating and I have been kept waiting in the wings a little but at the same time thankful that it has all been sorted out and resolved. Barnsley FC have given me a fantastic opportunity.''

Robins began his career as a striker at Old Trafford in 1986. During his six-year stay, Robins' most memorable moment came in the third round of the 1990 FA Cup against Nottingham Forest, when he came off the bench to score the winning goal. The victory was thought to have saved the job of the under-pressure Ferguson, who had endured three trophy-less seasons as manager at United.

Following another goal in the FA Cup semifinal replay against Oldham, United went on to lift the trophy at Wembley.

Before his move to Barnsley, Robins spent nine years at Rotherham, during which he was a player and assistant manager before beginning a 2 1/2-year spell as manager in 2007.

Robins, who asked to speak to Barnsley about the job, replaces manager Simon Davey, who left by "mutual consent'' on Aug. 29 following a string of poor results that left the team with one point from five league games.

Code:
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/soccer/wires/09/09/2080.ap.soc.barnsley.robins.0267/index.html#ixzz0QcbK5iMf
sir_otz is offline   Reply With Quote