View Single Post
Old 31-12-2015, 09:38 AM   #17
Andi Istiabudi
manager

Thanked 2,334 Times in 1,748 Posts
Mentioned: 146 Post(s)
Andi Istiabudi is a splendid one to beholdAndi Istiabudi is a splendid one to beholdAndi Istiabudi is a splendid one to beholdAndi Istiabudi is a splendid one to beholdAndi Istiabudi is a splendid one to beholdAndi Istiabudi is a splendid one to beholdAndi Istiabudi is a splendid one to beholdAndi Istiabudi is a splendid one to behold

Default Re: [Legend] Denis Law

Wiih dapat gelar dari kerajaan Inggris nih Opa Denis, selamat yaa

CONGRATULATIONS, DENIS LAW CBE

After the news that Denis Law will be appointed CBE (Commander of the British Empire) in the New Year's Honours, for his services to football and to charity, we pay tribute to a Manchester United goalscoring legend…

What set him apart? Denis Law wasn't just any old goalscorer, though he was an exceptional marksman. A courageous, brilliant centre-forward, his finesse and style neatly disguised an aggression that was essential during an age when centre-backs chopped and hacked at opponents to stop them in their tracks. Law possessed great positional awareness, timing and unerring finishing ability with either foot or, despite not being a towering figure, with his head. He also had shins of steel, elbows sharp as tacks and leapt like a Scottish salmon. Oh, and in his pomp he scored goals with machine-like regularity.

Crowning glory… Winning the feted Ballon d'Or in 1964, Law became the first Scot and first United player to collect the prestigious trophy, and he remains just one of four Reds to have been awarded the honour alongside George Best, Bobby Charlton and Cristiano Ronaldo. In terms of team success, Law missed the 1968 European Cup final through injury, but the year previous to that he had lifted the League championship trophy at Old Trafford in front of 61,071 fans as captain. A week earlier, Law hit two goals in a rampant 6-1 win at West Ham that had sealed title glory.

He says: "We had a brilliant team and it was a joy to play alongside Best, Charlton, Stiles, Foulkes, Stepney… so many good players. They were the best years of my career."

They say: "Denis Law was my hero as a player. I idolised him. When I first met him I was so excited. He epitomised everything a Scotsman is about. He was daring and courageous, he had that bravado about him and he had style. He was a truly fantastic footballer." - Sir Alex Ferguson

Hit me with the facts… Law hit 46 goals in the 1963/64 season - still a club record today, even though it wasn't enough to clinch the title. That earned him the European Footballer of the Year award. He scored 237 goals in 404 appearances for United and hit a record 18 hat-tricks in 11 seasons with the Reds.

Tell me something I might not know…
It is claimed that former Arsenal striker Dennis Bergkamp's parents admired United's Scottish striker so much that they named their son after him. The Dutch registrar insisted an extra 'n' be added.

In a word: King

http://www.manutd.com
Andi Istiabudi is offline   Reply With Quote