View Single Post
Old 18-05-2017, 09:19 AM   #18
Riskur
Divisi IT

Thanked 1,007 Times in 435 Posts
Mentioned: 154 Post(s)
Riskur has a reputation beyond reputeRiskur has a reputation beyond reputeRiskur has a reputation beyond reputeRiskur has a reputation beyond reputeRiskur has a reputation beyond reputeRiskur has a reputation beyond reputeRiskur has a reputation beyond reputeRiskur has a reputation beyond reputeRiskur has a reputation beyond reputeRiskur has a reputation beyond reputeRiskur has a reputation beyond repute
Visit Riskur's Facebook Visit Riskur's Twitter
Default Re: [EPL] Southampton vs Manchester United

Sergio Romero: Team gives me confidence

Sergio Romero revealed that Jose Mourinho and his team-mates have filled him with confidence after playing a starring role in Manchester United's goalless draw at Southampton.

The goalkeeper made several impressive stops in Wednesday night's stalemate at St Mary's, including an early penalty save from Manolo Gabbiadini, a former team-mate of the stopper's.

The Argentinian's commanding display was the ideal preparation for next week’s Europa League final, with Mourinho already confirming he will start in goal against Ajax – something Romero is very excited about already.

Speaking in English to MUTV for the first time, he said: “Yes, it’s very important. I arrived here [on a] free [transfer], nobody knew me and now Jose [Mourinho] gave me a lot of confidence and the players give me a lot of confidence and for me it’s very important.

“I try to do my best for the team. The most important thing is the group and the fans and we go there in Stockholm for the win.”

Against the Saints, Romero almost single-handedly kept United in the game with fine saves to deny Dusan Tadic and James Ward-Prowse in the second half. His most important contribution, however, was denying Gabbiadini from 12 yards after just five minutes but Romero confessed he had some inside knowledge to draw upon.

“I played one year with [Manolo] Gabbiadini in Sampdoria in Italy,” he explained. “I did a lot of training [with him], maybe I have a decision in my head when he takes the ball and I say he’s shooting to the right for sure and I go there. It’s very good for the group and for me.”

While United would have liked to have ended the last away league of the season with a win, Romero reflected on the positives from a resilient defensive display from the team as he kept his 11th clean sheet in 17 appearances in all competitions this season.

“For today, the match is important for us for the confidence of the group,” he added. “We don’t make the goal but we keep our clean sheet – it’s good for us.

“I think we did a very, very good performance in defence – not only [Phil] Smalling or Jones, also Eric [Bailly] and Matteo [Darmian]. We had a lot of help from the midfielders – Axel [Tuanzebe] in the first half and Michael [Carrick] in the second half.

“But for us, it’s very important to keep a clean sheet for the confidence and for the [Europa League] final.”

More: Click on the play button above to watch Sergio's first interview in English.

www.manutd.com