Thread: Gary Neville
View Single Post
Old 28-11-2022, 08:02 AM   #653
zudomiriku

Thanked 1,785 Times in 921 Posts
Mentioned: 274 Post(s)
zudomiriku has a reputation beyond reputezudomiriku has a reputation beyond reputezudomiriku has a reputation beyond reputezudomiriku has a reputation beyond reputezudomiriku has a reputation beyond reputezudomiriku has a reputation beyond reputezudomiriku has a reputation beyond reputezudomiriku has a reputation beyond reputezudomiriku has a reputation beyond reputezudomiriku has a reputation beyond reputezudomiriku has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Gary Neville

'I think he's got four or five great months in him': Gary Neville suggests Cristiano Ronaldo's next move will be to a 'top' European club - despite his Man United woes - before considering options in the US and Middle East at the end of the season

* Gary Neville said Cristiano Ronaldo has 'four or five good months' left in him
* Former Manchester United captain said he wished his former teammate well
* Ronaldo and Man United agreed to tear up contract after controversial interview
* Also took aim at Glazers for way they have run Manchester United since 2005
* Neville said that he was 'not surprised' by the owners' decision to sell the club

Gary Neville has said that former teammate Cristiano Ronaldo will be looking to join a 'top' European club having seen his contract at Manchester United torn up following his bombshell interview.

Ronaldo took aim at Gary Neville, Erik ten Hag, the Glazers and Ralf Rangnick, among others, in a highly controversial interview with broadcaster Piers Morgan.

Responding to the situation once again surrounding Ronaldo, Neville wished his former team-mate well and suggested that he will try his hand at a 'top' European league once again before potentially considering the more lucrative offers from the Middle East or America.

'I think Cristiano Ronaldo is going to be looking for a top club on a four-month or five-month contract where he can go in and do a brilliant cameo role at the very elite of European football,' Neville told Sky Sports.

'That's what I think his priority would be - to stay in the Champions League, to stay at the very top and prove that what happened at Manchester United wasn't right.

'I think he's got four or five great months in him somewhere where he'll go in and score 15 or 20 goals in that period. Everybody in Manchester will say "why didn't we keep him?" and people in the Premier League will as well.

'But he's got that in him and I would say that would be his priority. I think he'll get to the end of the season and then think about the next two years and what his last football project might look like. Is it in the US? Is it in the Middle East? Is it somewhere else in Europe where he's not played before?

'I hope he does really well wherever he goes. I didn't work out in Manchester in the end, but it was the right thing for the club to do in breaking ties and it was the right thing for Cristiano to do.'

Gary Neville has wished his former teammate well following the termination of his Manchester United contract. The Sky Sports pundit said it was best for all parties that the Portuguese depart the club

Ronaldo last week took aim at Neville - among others - with the Portuguese having seen his contract torn up as a result. Playing in his fifth - and likely last - World Cup, Ronaldo will seemingly be focused on trying to achieve the ultimate glory with his country before assessing his options following the tournament in Qatar.

Meanwhile, Neville also discussed the situation surrounding the ownership of Manchester United, with the Glazers having publicly declared that they are exploring outside investment in the club as improvements are made to Old Trafford and Carrington, the club's training ground. A sale remains a distinct possibility.

Admitting he did not speak out against their ownership soon enough, Neville said that he had been very vocal over the last 'two or three years ago'.

'I don't want to come up with excuses. It was probably because we were successful and we were managed by Sir Alex Ferguson, who stuck to football,' he said.

'No player or member of staff ever spoke out against the leveraged takeover. When it happened we got on with winning trophies, winning the Champions League and winning Premier Leagues.

'And the club, to be fair, carried on being successful. I worked on the theory at the time that we could have worse owners. They were quite passive. I never saw any interference while I was at the club as a player.

'But when Sir Alex Ferguson left, it's then I started to realise they were only successful because of Sir Alex Ferguson. They haven't been able to develop a successful sporting project without him.'

Neville went on to reference the highly contentious issue of the owners taking dividends out of the club, one of the main reasons for United supporter protests against the Glazers.

'So the fact of the matter is, they've taken dividends out, they've not developed the stadium, they've let the training ground go to ruin,' he said.

'They really are second-class when it comes to the status of infrastructure at the club and the facilities. That can't happen when you're not successful on the pitch. So you put all that together and you get to a point whereby enough is enough.'

Code:
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-11474163/Gary-Neville-suggests-Cristiano-Ronaldos-European-club.html