View Single Post
Old 02-10-2009, 09:34 PM   #2
rondwisan

Thanked 4,736 Times in 2,701 Posts
Mentioned: 567 Post(s)
rondwisan has a reputation beyond reputerondwisan has a reputation beyond reputerondwisan has a reputation beyond reputerondwisan has a reputation beyond reputerondwisan has a reputation beyond reputerondwisan has a reputation beyond reputerondwisan has a reputation beyond reputerondwisan has a reputation beyond reputerondwisan has a reputation beyond reputerondwisan has a reputation beyond reputerondwisan has a reputation beyond repute
Visit rondwisan's Facebook Visit rondwisan's Twitter
Default Re: [Legend] Steve Bruce

02/10/2009 12:40 - ManUtd.com, Ben Hibbs
Bruce can manage a top club

Steve Bruce has all the qualities to manage one of Engand's top clubs – but Sir Alex Ferguson believes he can achieve that feat at the Stadium of Light.

With money to spend and a wealth of experience behind him, Bruce is already at a big club, according to Sir Alex. Asked on Friday if he thought Bruce would end up at one of England’s big clubs, the United boss retorted: “I don’t think Sunderland’s fans would be too pleased to hear that. They could be a massive club, you know. They already are in terms of history, stadium, training ground, and their fan base. It wouldn’t be doing them justice to say otherwise.”

Bruce has enjoyed or endured varied experiences at six different clubs in his managerial career, all of which should stand him in good stead. “If you go back through Bruce’s career, his experience of the other side of football is very useful.

“From being down there scrapping with Crystal Palace or Sheffield United, he recently almost took Wigan into a UEFA place. He’s learned a lot as he’s gone along. Birmingham didn’t have much money to deal with. They never had a big budget to buy players. That’s not easy in the Premier League. Now he has the chance to spend some money at Sunderland and it looks as if they could be good.”

Bruce has made some promising signings, notably with the capture of Darren Bent in attack, who Sir Alex pinpoints as the spearhead of an impressive front line that can also include Kenwyne Jones and former United youngster Fraizer Campbell. “The addition of Darren Bent now, who’s scored seven goals now, is a good one. He’s given a good return already. Steve has galvanised the club really well, and you can see something happening there... just hopefully not on Saturday!”

Sir Alex certainly won’t be taking Sunderland lightly after they have notched four wins in seven games this term. “Everyone’s a threat if you don’t approach games the right way. We have to approach the game in the right way all the time. That’s what happens here. We have to make sure the attitude and the character of the team is always there. It will be. We have no problems there. The team is playing well and hopefully we get the result we want.”

It’s no surprise that, after Bruce’s loyalty and commitment to the United cause in the early years of Sir Alex’s Old Trafford reign, the Reds boss still has a fondness for his now opposite number. “He was a great player for us,” reminisced the boss. “The fantastic thing about Brucey was that he had this great ability to play on with injuries. He was always hobbling about the training ground, with knocks or hamstring strains. He’d just rub it better and play. It was unbelievable.

“I remember when we were going to play Liverpool at Anfield at the weekend and he’d picked up a hamstring injury on the Saturday before. He was on the treatment table all week. Then on the Friday I was doing some team shaping and the set pieces. He came running down the hill at The Cliff and said, ‘don’t pick your team just now, I think I’m OK’. I said, ‘You’re joking, it’s a hamstring pull’. Brucey came back, ‘Yeah, it’s all right, I’ve had them before’. He played the full game.

“Looking at his partnership with Gary Pallister – it went on uninterrupted for years. They hardly missed a game. It was a phenomenal partnership, and the right combination; they had the qualities you need. They were great characters too. You can laugh just thinking about them!”

That fondness will be put on hold on Saturday, however, as United seek to extend the league lead with Chelsea and Liverpool meeting on Sunday.
rondwisan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rondwisan For This Useful Post: