View Single Post
Old 28-02-2018, 08:11 PM   #30
Riskur
Divisi IT

Thanked 1,007 Times in 435 Posts
Mentioned: 154 Post(s)
Riskur has a reputation beyond reputeRiskur has a reputation beyond reputeRiskur has a reputation beyond reputeRiskur has a reputation beyond reputeRiskur has a reputation beyond reputeRiskur has a reputation beyond reputeRiskur has a reputation beyond reputeRiskur has a reputation beyond reputeRiskur has a reputation beyond reputeRiskur has a reputation beyond reputeRiskur has a reputation beyond repute
Visit Riskur's Facebook Visit Riskur's Twitter
Default Re: [2017/18] United Player and Goal of the Month

WHO IS YOUR PLAYER OF THE MONTH?

It was a close-run thing, but we can now confirm the three nominees for Manchester United's Player-of-the Month award for February.

The Reds won three of our five matches in all competitions during the month, along with a hard-earned goalless draw against Sevilla in the first leg of the Champions League last-16 tie and a narrow defeat at Newcastle United in the Premier League.

As always, there was stiff competition to make the shortlist but, after much deliberation, goalkeeper David De Gea, midfielder Scott McTominay and striker Romelu Lukaku are the players in the frame for the latest star man accolade.

Read our summary of each of their performances before casting your vote via our official Twitter account...

David De Gea – Appearances/Clean Sheets: 4 / 2
The Spanish shot-stopper was in inspirational form throughout February, with his standout performance coming in his homeland as he ensured the Reds’ tie with Sevilla remained goalless heading into the second leg with some stunning stops – including a world-class save to keep out Luis Muriel’s close-range header. It was one of two clean sheets that our no.1 kept during the month – having also shut out Huddersfield in the 2-0 league win at Old Trafford, but he was rested for the Emirates FA Cup victory over the same opponents at the John Smith’s Stadium. It’s De Gea’s second nomination for Player of the Month this season, after making the shortlist for October’s prize.

Jose Mourinho said: "He’s a fantastic goalkeeper and it’s not possible for a team to be successful without a fantastic goalkeeper. In every other club I’ve been lucky to win trophies at, the goalkeeper has always played a big part."

De Gea on 'that' save in Seville: "It was a good moment and a good save, especially because of the moment in the game - the last minute of the first half. It was important we didn't concede a goal."

Vote for him because: He made the difference in Europe!

Scott McTominay – Appearances/Goals: 4 (1) / 0
February was surely the best month in the young Academy graduate’s burgeoning career to date, with his impressive form deservedly culminating in a first-ever Player of the Month nomination. The combative midfielder appeared in all five of the Reds’ games during February, starting four of them, to take his tally to 15 first-team outings this season since becoming part of Jose’s squad. The 21-year-old has earned plenty of plaudits for his mature displays recently, rising to the challenge to perform tough man-marking jobs on Sevilla’s Ever Banega and Chelsea’s Eden Hazard in two big games, and has been highly praised by the manager on several occasions.

Michael Carrick said: "He is willing to learn and listen. That is one of the biggest things for a young lad, to have that attitude. Of course I am here to help him and I try to do it as much as I can. I know he will take my place some day and that is not something I would be afraid of, or try to put him off, because it is important to help the future and Scott is definitely that."

How Scott responded to such praise: "Every single day you can watch the players and you see players like Michael Carrick – you don’t have to say what a tremendous career he’s had," Scott said. "Me and Michael have had one-to-one chats and it’s helped me a lot. And obviously the manager – it’s incredible the amount of support that him and the coaching staff have given me."

Vote for him because: He's smashing it in the seniors!

Romelu Lukaku – Appearances/Goals: 5 / 4
The Reds’ top scorer this season has been in magnificent form of late, taking his tally to 22 goals in all competitions by netting four times during another fruitful spell for the Belgian. Our no.9 played in all but 13 minutes of the Reds’ five February matches and earned his first Man-of-the-Match awards of the season after netting a decisive brace against Huddersfield in the Emirates FA Cup and notching a goal and an assist in last weekend’s comeback win over his former club Chelsea. It’s the second time the powerful frontman has been shortlisted for our Player of the Month award, after also being nominated for the accolade in September.

Jose Mourinho praised: "I don't analyse the players' performances the same way you [journalists] do. I have other points of analysis and I'm happy with Romelu's performances, even when he doesn't score goals."

Red Rom isn't finished yet: "I just need to keep working hard. I think I have got a nice record. I've scored a lot this season and I just want to keep going. I know that I can improve and I want to improve and really work hard. I want to win trophies. I'm 24 and I think I have a lot of years ahead of me to improve before my prime so I'm never satisfied. I always want to improve and get better and it's a nice challenge."

Vote for him because: He's quietly bagging the goals!

Cast your vote now via our official Twitter account @ManUtd. The poll closes on Friday 2 March at 10:00 GMT.

Last edited by Riskur; 28-02-2018 at 11:42 PM..