View Single Post
Old 18-08-2021, 11:42 AM   #185
zudomiriku

Thanked 1,785 Times in 921 Posts
Mentioned: 274 Post(s)
zudomiriku has a reputation beyond reputezudomiriku has a reputation beyond reputezudomiriku has a reputation beyond reputezudomiriku has a reputation beyond reputezudomiriku has a reputation beyond reputezudomiriku has a reputation beyond reputezudomiriku has a reputation beyond reputezudomiriku has a reputation beyond reputezudomiriku has a reputation beyond reputezudomiriku has a reputation beyond reputezudomiriku has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Manchester United Women's Team

New Manchester United Women boss Marc Skinner insists he's targeting silverware after Casey Stoney quit - as he reveals Ole Gunnar Solskjaer has offered support

* Manchester United women boss Marc Skinner is eyeing silverware this season
* Skinner was appointed as manager following Casey Stoney's departure
* The former United boss left amid frustrations over resources at the club
* But Skinner insisted he has felt nothing but support since taking the job
* The 38-year-old also revealed that he had spoken to Ole Gunnar Solskjaer

New Manchester United Women boss Marc Skinner is targeting silverware and insisted the club's aim is to compete for the WSL title.

Skinner was appointed in July following the departure of Casey Stoney amid her frustrations over a lack of resources and the support structure in place for the women's team.

But the new manager was keen to stress the backing he has received from football director John Murtough and also revealed Ole Gunnar Solskjaer had offered his support.

New Manchester United women boss Marc Skinner is targeting silverware this season. The manager insisted that the club wants to create a culture of winning titles and cups

'I emailed Ole and within 20 minutes he emailed me back and said "I look forward to meeting you, welcome to the club and I'll grab a coffee with you and we can integrate ideas", Skinner said.

'I've met all of the staff across the training ground, they've been nothing but friendly.

'This is part of the reason I came to Manchester United because I knew it had a heritage of supporting its own and growing from within. John Murtough is a very keen link to that and he's been nothing but supportive.'

Skinner, who managed Birmingham in the Women's Super League from 2016-2019, left American side Orlando Pride to join United an insisted he did so with the aim of winning trophies.

'It had to be the right team and when Manchester United came it was a wonderful opportunity to be back at a world class club.

Skinner also revealed that he had spoken to Ole Gunnar Solskajer after taking the job. Casey Stoney left her role as manager amid frustrations over a lack of resources last season. Skinner insisted he has felt nothing but support since being appointed at the end of July. The United boss said the club's supporters will be key as they look to push for a top three finish

'We're at a club that wants to be successful. It's putting everything in place to create the successes that come from winning titles, that come from winning cups. That's part of the reason that I came here because those are always going to be part of the ambitions that I want to achieve.

'I'm well aware of the quality in this league and the growing quality from every team. Being here, our challenge is to win things. I didn't come back just to exist, we're building on great foundations that Casey left.

'If I was to look back on my experience at Birmingham, we had no money. We closed the gap because we believed in each other, because we believed in what we were doing and we knew that we had to fight against might.

'Since I've been at Manchester United of course the resources have been there and I've been supported. I've felt nothing but support since I've been here.'

United saw several senior players depart at the end of their contracts this summer while American internationals Tobin Heath and Christen Press returned to the United States.

But Skinner said there are long-term plans in place to strengthen the squad in the current and future transfer windows.

'I want to ingrain the youth team players. When I was at Birmingham we grew youth team players because they understood the DNA of the club. It's a Manchester United identity. As we add in the star players that we want to attain here and retain here, then we have to continue to grow the culture of the club.'

When pressed on his transfer plans, Skinner added: 'I've already seen plans for players that are maybe two years down the line that would suit the growth of this club.

'There's a structure and plan in place that I was really excited with. I will look into adding players of the right calibre for this team but it's about getting the right people.

'It's a contingency plan based on different movements in the market. I have direct lines to Julie Ferguson and John Murtough, I think we've met twice a week, I have constant conversations. John has come out to watch us on the training field, I feel nothing but support from there.

'Since I've been in, I've seen nothing but love, energy, commitment, drive and ambition towards our women's team. We wouldn't expect anythingless than that. We will continue to grow.'

United will kick off the new WSL season against Reading on September 3 with the clash to be the first match shown live on Sky Sports.

Fans will be allowed back into stadiums after all of United's games were played behind closed doors last season and Skinner outlined how important the club's supporters will be throughout the season.

'Probably legendary is how I've heard it,' Skinner said when asked about the club's fans.

'Whenever I've watched (their games) I've heard them so for me it's about creating a connection with the fans. I want them to know I represent them and the players represent their football team. They're going to be vital if we want to really push on and continue the growth of this club.

'When we have to run that extra yard, they will be the extra breath in our lungs. I can't wait to meet them, I can't wait to be part of their club and we're going to aim to do them proud. They are the most important thing in football.'

Code:
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-9902011/Manchester-United-Women-boss-Marc-Skinner-targeting-silverware-reveals-Ole-Gunnar-Solskjaer.html