View Single Post
Old 11-04-2017, 12:11 PM   #52
Andi Istiabudi
Andi Istiabudi's Avatar
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Jakarta
Posts: 33,832
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2,331 Times in 1,745 Posts
Mentioned: 146 Post(s)
Andi Istiabudi is a splendid one to beholdAndi Istiabudi is a splendid one to beholdAndi Istiabudi is a splendid one to beholdAndi Istiabudi is a splendid one to beholdAndi Istiabudi is a splendid one to beholdAndi Istiabudi is a splendid one to beholdAndi Istiabudi is a splendid one to beholdAndi Istiabudi is a splendid one to behold

Default Re: Man United U-23 Matches 2016/17


Premier League 2 | King Power Stadium | Scorers: None

Manchester United played out a goalless draw at Leicester City with the two teams rarely threatening to get on the scoresheet.

Interim boss Nicky Butt had a much-changed side due to an Under-19 squad's participation at the Dallas Cup with Indy Boonen and Kayne Diedrick-Roberts handed debuts in the starting XI.

Right-back Charlie Scott was heavily involved early on, perhaps fortunate to escape a yellow card inside the opening minute, before lashing a shot over the bar with only two minutes on the clock. Raul Uche Rubio forced a save out of Dean Henderson and the United keeper's opposite number, Daniel Iversen, kept out Diedrick-Roberts from a tight angle, following a cute pass by Boonen.

There were precious few chances but the visitors did unlock the Foxes' defence with a patient move, only for Josh Harrop to fire off target. Boonen's evening ended prematurely when he was replaced by another debutant, defender Luca Ercolani, after failing to shake off an early knock.

Matty Willock, who was on the first-team bench against West Brom, chose the wrong option when shooting way over the top rather than crossing and Uche was also wayward with an ambitious long-range lob over Henderson that at least had the keeper backpedalling.

Leicester started the second half brightly with Uche forcing a decent diving stop out of Henderson, who pushed it away to safety. The Reds' rhythm was further affected when Willock tweaked his hamstring and Faustin Makela took his place. The fourth Premier League 2 debutant of the night for Butt's side has been on trial with Bury of late.

Skipper Axel Tuanzebe headed away a shot by Josh Gordon that may not have been on target but it was good work by the stylish centre-back as defences remained on top. A rare sight of goal arrived when Makela collected a pass wide by Harrop and thumped in a dangerous ball that was turned into the side-netting by Scott McTominay.

Leicester briefly pushed for a decisive goal with Kiernan Dewsbury-Hall's effort deflecting just wide and, from the corner, Elliott Moore's header took a touch under Henderson but Demi Mitchell cleared off the line. Bartosz Kapustka then twice blasted shots off target before United finally carved out a couple of glimpses of goal.

Scott flashed in a volley when latching onto a loose clearance, only for Iversen to save relatively comfortably, and Makela drilled the wrong side of the far post after McTominay challenged for a throw-in by Ercolani.

The sides remained deadlocked and the three minutes of stoppage time passed without incident but Butt will be pleased with a point to keep the Reds four points clear of the relegation zone.

United: Henderson; Scott, Tuanzebe, Borthwick-Jackson, Mitchell; Willock (Makela 52), McTominay; Harrop, Redmond, Boonen (Ercolani 29); Diedrick-Roberts. Subs not used: O'Hara, Dunne, Spratt.
Andi Istiabudi is offline