View Single Post
Old 16-06-2009, 08:55 PM   #7
rondwisan

Thanked 4,736 Times in 2,701 Posts
Mentioned: 567 Post(s)
rondwisan has a reputation beyond reputerondwisan has a reputation beyond reputerondwisan has a reputation beyond reputerondwisan has a reputation beyond reputerondwisan has a reputation beyond reputerondwisan has a reputation beyond reputerondwisan has a reputation beyond reputerondwisan has a reputation beyond reputerondwisan has a reputation beyond reputerondwisan has a reputation beyond reputerondwisan has a reputation beyond repute
Visit rondwisan's Facebook Visit rondwisan's Twitter

Quote:
Part Three: Champions League

26 May 1999, Nou Camp

MANCHESTER UNITED 2
Sheringham 90+1, Solskjaer 90+3

BAYERN MUNICH 1

Basler 6

United: Schmeichel ©; G. Neville, Johnsen, Stam, Irwin; Giggs, Beckham, Butt, Blomqvist (Sheringham 67); Cole (Solskjaer 81), Yorke.
Subs not used: Van Der Gouw, May, P. Neville, Brown, Greening.

"What we had done actually meant something. It affected people's lives."
Gary Neville

"The history of this wondrous competition has a new and permanent asterisk against the line which records United's 2-1 triumph. It must say: 'Won in extraordinary circumstances -

Treble: Champions League

Matchwinner Ole Gunnar Solskjaer reflects on a historic night in Barcelona…

Bayern were ahead for a long time, but there was a feeling throughout the last six months of the season that if we just kept going we’d get something out of every game.

We were lucky to stay in this one, but then Teddy scored and we knew we could get another. Straight from kick-off I made a diagonal run out to our left, and Denis Irwin played a great pass to me.

Being fresh I got to the ball and managed to turn and face up Kuffour. I tried a stepover and he nicked it out for a corner, but I was happy with that. I didn’t think about what happened next. I was too focused. I was playing on instinct.

Kuffour was marking me. He grabbed my shirt, but then forgot about me when the ball came over. He was busy looking at Teddy, so that was my chance to get away and the ball just landed on my toe.

My main memory of what followed was all the subs being in amongst the celebrations, that and almost being strangled by everyone!
rondwisan is offline   Reply With Quote