United Indonesia - Manchester United Indonesia Supporters Club
Register
Go Back   United Indonesia - Manchester United Indonesia Supporters Club > INSIDE MANCHESTER UNITED > United Crew > Ex United

Old 09-02-2011, 02:48 PM   #91
theater of dream
Come on beibeh......

Thanked 1,219 Times in 846 Posts
Mentioned: 97 Post(s)
theater of dream has a brilliant futuretheater of dream has a brilliant futuretheater of dream has a brilliant futuretheater of dream has a brilliant futuretheater of dream has a brilliant futuretheater of dream has a brilliant futuretheater of dream has a brilliant futuretheater of dream has a brilliant futuretheater of dream has a brilliant futuretheater of dream has a brilliant futuretheater of dream has a brilliant future

Visit theater of dream's Facebook Visit theater of dream's Twitter
Default Re: Eric "The King" Cantona

Once a twat, always a twat.

Eagles fan karate kicked by Cantona in court over assault allegations

An Eagles fan who was famously karate kicked by French striker Eric Cantona, has been charged with assault at a children's football match.

Matthew Simmons, 36, from Thornton Heath appeared in Kingston Crown Court on Friday and denied allegations of assault.

He is alleged to have become involved in a fight while watching his 13-year-old son play a match in August last year.

Mr Simmons was famously attacked by Cantona in January 1995 after he was sent off the pitch during a Manchester United vs Crystal Palace match at Selhurst Park.

The striker leapt over an advertising board to kick the football fan, a bricklayer, in the chest then punch him.

Cantona, who is now an actor and manager of the French beach football team, was suspended for nine months and ordered to serve 120 hours of community service.
http://www.croydonguardian.co.uk/new...tions/?ref=rss

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
theater of dream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2011, 02:11 AM   #92
Andi Istiabudi
manager
Youtube: Andi Istiabudi

Thanked 2,334 Times in 1,748 Posts
Mentioned: 146 Post(s)
Andi Istiabudi is a splendid one to beholdAndi Istiabudi is a splendid one to beholdAndi Istiabudi is a splendid one to beholdAndi Istiabudi is a splendid one to beholdAndi Istiabudi is a splendid one to beholdAndi Istiabudi is a splendid one to beholdAndi Istiabudi is a splendid one to beholdAndi Istiabudi is a splendid one to behold

Cantona Desak Fergie Boyong Valbuena
Mathieu Valbuena ditaksir berharga £10 juta.

Oleh Aditya Ramadhan

Eric Cantona, salah satu legenda Manchester United (MU), mendesak Sir Alex Ferguson memboyong playmaker Mathieu Valbuena.

La Provence memberitakan Cantona menyebut Valbuena sebagai figur yang tepat untuk menggantikan Paul Scholes. Cantona berharap Fergie memboyongnya musim panas mendatang.

Manchester Evening News memberitakan Fergie telah mengirim scout-nya untuk memonitor Valbuena. Fergie juga berharap melihat langsung performa Valbuena saat Marseille bertemu MU di Liga Champions.

Namun MU bukan satu-satunya klub yang menginginkan Valbuena. Sejumlah klub diam-diam menjajagi kemungkinan memboyongnya.

Valbuena ditaksir berharga £10 juta. MU dipastikan tidak keberatan mengeluarkan uang sebanyak itu.

Kabar lain menyebutkan Fergie lebih menyukai Daniele De Rossi, gelandang AS Roma. Di sisi lain, Scholes belum akan mengumumkan pengunduran dirinya dalam waktu dekat.

Pembelian De Rossi atau Valbuena hanya akan terjadi jika Scholes secara resmi menyatakan pensiun.

Source : http://www.goal.com/id
Andi Istiabudi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2011, 11:29 AM   #93
Redsbusby
BANG to the KE

Thanked 3,073 Times in 1,811 Posts
Mentioned: 134 Post(s)
Redsbusby has a reputation beyond reputeRedsbusby has a reputation beyond reputeRedsbusby has a reputation beyond reputeRedsbusby has a reputation beyond reputeRedsbusby has a reputation beyond reputeRedsbusby has a reputation beyond reputeRedsbusby has a reputation beyond reputeRedsbusby has a reputation beyond reputeRedsbusby has a reputation beyond reputeRedsbusby has a reputation beyond reputeRedsbusby has a reputation beyond repute

MUST READ: Cantona on Pele, Cruyff and Sir Alex

By: Frank Scicluna on 19 February 2011
TrulyReds

First thing first. I must confess that I’m an unashamed Eric Cantona disciple hanging onto his every word – yes, even after 14 years of him departing Old Trafford at the relatively young age of 30. I have little doubt that the vast majority of Manchester United fans feel precisely the same so when The Kings latest interview was published on the ESPN.com website on Friday, it simply had to appear on Truly Reds just in case anyone missed it.

It’s long and it’s detailed but I’m not about to apologise for refusing to edit it. Cantona was asked some difficult questions by David Hirshey who has been covering football for more than 30 years and has written about the game for The New York Times, Time Magazine and ESPN amongst other publications. If you don’t have the time to read it in one sitting, come back to it because it’s an interview not to be missed by any United fan.

The Gospel of Eric Cantona by David Hirshey ESPN.com, February 18, 2011 “The first thing you notice about Eric Cantona is that his collar is still up, 14 years after he bestrode Old Trafford as if it were his personal kingdom. Granted, he’s wearing an Army-green sweater and not a red Manchester United jersey, but time hasn’t diminished the swagger that saw him score some of the most memorable goals in the history of soccer — and execute a leaping kung-fu kick on a fan that would have put Nigel de Jong to shame.

No wonder the British consortium that owns the new New York Cosmos anointed Le Roi as the man to bring the fabled franchise back to life. After all, Cantona spent his career making something out of nothing on the soccer field. And let’s face it: Right now the Cosmos have no players, no stadium, no league.

But they do possess two priceless assets – the name of the last professional American team the rest of the world took seriously and a charismatic Frenchman as their director of soccer.

Apart from his grey-flecked beard, the 44-year-old Cantona looks remarkably like the virtuoso who helped transform United from a club with massive support but minimal silverware into a juggernaut that won four league titles and played the kind of swashbuckling soccer that has since become its trademark.

He was voted United’s player of the century when he retired in 1997. Even today, it is not uncommon to hear the Old Trafford faithful burst into rapturous chants of “Ooh-ah, Cantona” or songs like “On the first day of Christmas my true love sent to me, Eric Cantona …” Equal parts philosopher, provocateur and performance artist, Cantona still retains the mad glint of a man who doesn’t care if the rest of the world is in on the joke.

When we met in his suite at an uber-trendy hotel in SoHo, I told him that in 1996 he had broken my Gooner heart with two thunderbolts of such ferocity that Arsenal goalkeeper David Seaman, then England’s No. 1, could only admire them as they flew by him.

“Which one hurt more?” he asked with an impish grin “The free kick or the volley?”

“Actually” I said “I was hoping you’d apologize for both.”

“I apologize for nothing” he fired back.

The conversation then swerved back and forth from Cantona’s mythic career to his romantic vision for the Cosmos to his love for Johan Cruyff. His English is heavily accented, and he often speaks in half-baked Cantona-isms that sound more profound than they really are. A decade later, philosophers are still trying to deconstruct his most celebrated koan: “When the seagulls follow the trawler, it’s because they think sardines will be thrown in the sea.”

Only one subject was off the table: the French national team. Though he scored 20 goals in 45 appearances for Les Bleus, Cantona was famously dropped from the squad in 1988 for calling the manager Henri Michel “a bag of s—” on television. So I thought he would have at least been amused by the French team’s mutiny at the 2010 World Cup when Nicolas Anelka was sent home for criticizing coach Raymond Domenech.

“Plus ca change …” I said, trotting out the extent of my high school French. “What did you think of the World Cup farce?” Suddenly, a “red mist” descended on Cantona and he glared at me with the slightly menacing look of a man who was still capable of leaping over the table between us and implanting his shoe in my sternum. “I don’t know about the French team,” he snarled. “Maybe I don’t know because I don’t care.” I took the hint and moved on.

DH: I don’t know if you saw the Champions League match Wednesday between Arsenal and Barcelona, but Robin van Persie scored a Cantona-like goal that was so outrageously cocky the keeper never saw it coming.

EC: I was traveling to New York so I didn’t get to watch the game but I saw the highlights later. No one expected Van Persie to shoot from that angle, but that is the beauty of football. Sometimes you surprise the goalkeeper and sometimes the goalkeeper surprises you. In my career, I tried to do more of the first than the second.

DH: What do you think of the way Barca plays with all their tippy-tappy passing? Is that a style you admire and hope to emulate with the Cosmos?

EC: This is nothing new. It goes back to Cruyff and Total Football. He brought it to Barcelona when he was the manager in the early ’90s, and they have perfected it. It’s all about knowing what you’re going to do when you receive the ball. Who is free, where is the space, always with one touch. But not everyone can play that way. At Manchester United, there were very good players who did other things. Roy Keane, Paul Ince, they were not going to pass you to death.

DH: How do you think those United teams would fare against the Barcelona of today?

EC: When I played, you could only use a few non-English players in European competition. But if we could use all our foreign players, then we would have the same chance against Barcelona that Arsenal has. I always wanted to play against the best. All my life, I need to test myself, to risk the art inside me.

DH: Is that why you were always getting in trouble as a player — because you were risking your art?

EC: I think life is a big game we play. It’s a circus, but the press wants to treat everything so seriously. They try to analyze the money, the power, the player. I enjoy watching them trying to analyze me. So when I go to a press conference, I don’t play their game. I play my own game. I talk about seagulls. It’s not about what I say. It’s the action that means something, not the words.

DH: But the action you’re most famous for is jumping into the stands and kicking a fan who called you names. If the words mean nothing …

EC: I never said I was an example. I don’t want to be a role model. I don’t think I’m more important than somebody trying to insult me. I’m a human being. He’s a human being. We’re equals and if I want to kick another human being, I do it. Who is wrong? Me for acting like a man or the press for making me into a superior person who comes from another planet?

DH: Is it just a coincidence that the other most famous incident of a player losing his sangfroid also involved a Frenchman? Is there something in the water in Marseille, where you and Zidane grew up, that turned you both into excitable boys?

EC: There is nothing wrong with Marseille. We both came from immigrant families who worked very hard so we could play football. Marseille gave us a good education about life.

DH: Have you ever talked to Zizou about his head-butt in the 2006 World Cup final?

EC: No, we don’t speak about these things. He’s younger than me, so I have not spent much time with him. I think the craziest thing he did in the World Cup final was the way he took the penalty kick. That is what I prefer to remember, not the head-butt.

DH: Zidane has since said that he’s sorry for his cheap shot. Do you have any regrets about what you did at Selhurst Park?

EC: Yes, I regret not kicking him harder. We are not all saints. I know there are some players who take their image very seriously.

DH: Yes, I believe you’ll be working with one on the Cosmos. Fellow by the name of Pele. He’s the honorary chairman of the club, and he takes this role-model business very seriously. On the other hand, the Cosmos’ “international ambassador” Giorgio Chinaglia is more like you. He doesn’t care what people think of him as long as he’s winning trophies.

EC: Pele and I are very different personalities. And I know about Giorgio from watching the film about the Cosmos, “Once In A Lifetime” I am not worried. I don’t think we all have to be the same person. One of the great things that Ferguson did at Manchester United and still does is to make sure not everyone is the same. He wants to have strong personalities, which is important to win games, but look at the difference between Beckham and Keane or Neville and Solskjaer.

I know many managers who want everyone to be the same because that is easier, but I like players who are not afraid to be themselves. What is most important is to make them feel comfortable, to give them the confidence so they feel free to express themselves. It works not just in football, but in life.

DH: What happens, though, when players become so confident they feel they are bigger than the team? Ferguson let Keane and Beckham go when he thought they had crossed the line.

EC: If you feel they are no longer right for the personality of the team, then you get rid of them and find others. But if I had a choice between strong personalities and someone who never says anything to upset the manager, I take the one who thinks for himself.

DH: There is so much money in the game today that there are far more players who are motivated by their bank accounts than in your day. What did you think, for instance, of Wayne Rooney threatening to leave United if he didn’t get a pay raise to $300,000 a week?

EC: I have no problem with players taking their share, because without players you have no game. But money cannot be your motivation. If the money is crazy, you can go play for another team. But the demands don’t always come from the player. There are people around him who are trying to manipulate him.

I think the question we have to ask the players at the Cosmos Academy is “Why do you want to play professional football?” Do you want to be a great player, or do you want to become rich and famous? What is your dream? If you just want to become a professional and make money, I don’t want you on my team. But if you want to become the best player in the world and score a goal in the last minute to win the game, then I will help you become that. Me, when I was 4 years old, it was my dream to play with the best. When I got older, they paid me to play, but I would have played for nothing. I didn’t become a football player to become rich. Yes, rich as a person. Trophies. Memories.

DH: With so many of the world’s big clubs, including Manchester United, piling up massive debt, are you concerned about the future of the game?

EC: What I think is a shame is that people from lower backgrounds can’t afford to go to the stadium anymore. These are the real fans of football. The game is in their blood. Football is not for rich people. Sure, rich people love football, but it is not such a big part of their life like it is for the working class. I think clubs should make a quarter or half of the stadium where the tickets are not expensive, where these people don’t have to make a big sacrifice to go to the game. It’s their children who will grow up to be the great professional players, not the children of rich people.

DH: What kind of game do you envision the Cosmos playing?

EC: When Johan Cruyff was coaching Barcelona, one of his players was Pep Guardiola who now manages the team. Guardiola was not big and strong and when Barcelona was playing Mallorca, he went up against Miguel Angel Nadal, Rafael’s uncle who was tall and powerful. Cruyff said to Guardiola, “Don’t jump with him, because you will have no chance to win the ball. Try to realize where the ball will be going and be there. Think ahead. Anticipate.” Clever tactics like that. Cruyff is an inspiration to me. When I was a kid and he was a player at Ajax, I wanted to play like him. Controlling the game. It’s all about Johan Cruyff.

DH: If it’s all about Cruyff, why don’t you add him to your stable of legends in the Cosmos front office?

EC: Because now we have Eric Cantona.

No wonder I love the man, think about it. Six seasons in England brought him five championship winning medals and would have almost certainly been a perfect six out of six if not for THAT kick at Selhurst Park! Eric Cantona is not simply a Manchester United legend, he remains a Premier League icon.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

THE ONLY THING WE WANT TO LOSE THIS SEASON IS THE DEBT
Redsbusby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Redsbusby For This Useful Post:
Old 24-02-2011, 10:16 AM   #94
Andi Istiabudi
manager

Andi Istiabudi is a splendid one to beholdAndi Istiabudi is a splendid one to beholdAndi Istiabudi is a splendid one to beholdAndi Istiabudi is a splendid one to beholdAndi Istiabudi is a splendid one to beholdAndi Istiabudi is a splendid one to beholdAndi Istiabudi is a splendid one to beholdAndi Istiabudi is a splendid one to behold

Cantona: Ferguson Sulit Digantikan

MANCHESTER, KOMPAS.com — Legenda Manchester United, Eric Cantona, mengingatkan timnya untuk mulai mencari kandidat pengganti Manajer Alex Ferguson untuk mengantisipasi kemungkinan penurunan prestasi, kapan pun Ferguson pensiun.

Ferguson sudah menukangi Manchester United (MU) sejak 1986. Selama periode itu, Ferguson tak cuma memberikan gelar, tetapi membangun kultur dan tradisi juara.

Mengingat usia Ferguson sudah 69 tahun, Cantona menilai Ferguson sudah menjelang masa pensiun, meski Ferguson mengaku belum berpikir ke arah itu.

Cantona juga menilai, jika tak menyiapkan pengganti mulai sekarang dan memilih manajer baru setelah Ferguson pensiun, maka MU tidak akan menemukan orang yang mengerti dan mampu melanjutkan kerja Ferguson, terutama dalam menyatukan pemain berbeda generasi.

"Yang bisa saya katakan adalah Ferguson akan tetap menjadi manajer. Setelah itu, akan ada masalah lebih besar. Hari ini, ia seperti Mahatma Gandhi dalam sepak bola. Dengan Manchester, saya memilih mengatakan, berpikir, dan menyadari bahwa Ferguson adalah orang jenius," ujar Cantona.

"Ia mengalami begitu banyak pergantian generasi pemain. Ia akan berusia 70 tahun (Desember mendatang), bekerja dengan pemain berusia 18 tahun, tetapi mampu beradaptasi dengan semua generasi. Ini adalah hal yang menjadikannya sangat berbeda."

"Dengan (Dimitar) Berbatov, (Ferguson) bekerja keras dan sabar karena ia tahu Berbatov adalah pemain bagus."

"Ferguson bersikap keras dan bekerja dengan mereka secara psikologis. Ini sangat penting. Itu saya alami. Saya menerima segalanya karena ia memberikan kebebasan kepada saya di lapangan."

"Ia memberikan saya kostum nomor tujuh dan itu menjadi penting bagi saya, sekalipun pada awalnya saya tak mengerti. Saya tak pernah merasakan tekanan. Ia percaya pada saya ketika memberikan kostum nomor tujuh. Itu adalah kehormatan," tuturnya. (DM)

Source : http://bola.kompas.com
Old 26-02-2011, 05:46 PM   #95
Andi Istiabudi
manager

Cantona Pernah Tak Dianggap di Inggris
Fitra Iskandar - Okezone

MANCHESTER – Pemain asing kini tak bisa dipisahkan dari gemerlap sepakbola Inggris, padahal kondisinya sangat jauh berbeda di awal 90-an.Saat itu, sepakbola Inggris seolah-olah meremehkan pemain asing.

Legenda Manchester United Eric Cantona menceritakan pengalamannya ketika datang pertama kali ke Inggris pada 1992 dan mengikuti tes di klub Sheffield Wednesday selama satu pekan lebih.

“Ketika saya pertama kali datang ke Inggris saya menghabiskan waktu satu pekan untuk tes di Sheffield Wednesday. Saya kira berada di sana untuk meneken kontrak, tapi setelah satu pekan tes, mereka meminta saya untuk bertahan satu pekan lagi. Maksud saya, saya sudah bermain di Prancis, bayangkan saya masih harus dites di Wednesday,” kisah Cantona, seperti dikutip Goal, Kamis (24/2/2011).

Sepakbola Inggris saat itu terkesan eksklusif. Cantona bahkan menyebut dunia sepakbola di sana seolah-olah bersikap arogan kepada pemain asing.

“Saat itu tidak ada yang kenal pemain Prancis dan tidak ada yang peduli. Saya kira orang tidak menyadari bagaimana kondisinya saat itu bagi pemain asing di Inggris.

“Seolah-olah sepakbola Inggris tidak butuh pemain luar. Saya pikir itu sebuah arogansi,” katanya.

Waktu terus bergulir dan sepakbola Inggris mengalami banyak perubahan dibanding ketika Cantona pertama kali mengadu nasib di sana. Melihat perkembangan yang ada, Cantona berkomentar Inggris seperti beralih dari satu titik ekstrem ke titik ekstrem lain.”

“Yang buruk, mungkin suatu hari anda berpikir untuk membuang para pemain asing.Sekarang saya pikir terlalu banyak, ini kebalikannya. Terlalu banyak pemain asing dalam sebuah klub, dan saya kira klub harus mendukung nasional tim.”

“Di Cosmos, kami bekerja keras untuk membina akademi untuk klub dan tim nasional,” kata direktur baru Cosmos New York ini memberi perbandingan.

Karier Cantona di Inggris diawali di Leeds United.Namun di klub ini Cantona hanya bertahan selama satu tahun kemudian mengakhiri karier di United selama lima tahun, 1992-1997.Selama kariernya, Cantona terbilang pemain kontroversial. Kasus yang paling diingat publik adalah aksi tendangan kungfunya kepada seorang suporter Crystal Palace. Akibat aksinya itu, Cantona diganjar denda 20 ribu pounds. (fit)

Source : http://bola.okezone.com
Old 03-03-2011, 10:29 AM   #96
Ucup Carrick
captain
Rock n' Roll All Day and All
Of The Night

Thanked 1,304 Times in 618 Posts
Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Ucup Carrick is a glorious beacon of lightUcup Carrick is a glorious beacon of lightUcup Carrick is a glorious beacon of lightUcup Carrick is a glorious beacon of lightUcup Carrick is a glorious beacon of lightUcup Carrick is a glorious beacon of light

ada yang mau ke singapore ketemuan ma cantona??
Old 03-03-2011, 02:49 PM   #97
Andi Istiabudi
manager

Akhirnya menemukan foto ini di internet (dulu waktu SMP pernah lihat di majalah tapi cari di internet susah banget). Tahun 1995-1996 persaingan Manchester United dan Chelsea masih wajar, tidak sengit seperti saat ini ...

Eric Cantona & Ruud Gullit
Old 05-03-2011, 04:58 AM   #98
hendiplast
captain
ONE OK ROCK - The Beginning

Thanked 1,534 Times in 978 Posts
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
hendiplast is a splendid one to beholdhendiplast is a splendid one to beholdhendiplast is a splendid one to beholdhendiplast is a splendid one to beholdhendiplast is a splendid one to beholdhendiplast is a splendid one to beholdhendiplast is a splendid one to beholdhendiplast is a splendid one to beholdhendiplast is a splendid one to behold

Cantona Tidak Sesali Tendangan Kung-fu-nya
Arya Perdhana - detiksport

London - Akibat melancarkan tendangan kung-fu kepada seorang penonton, Eric Cantona pernah terhukum lama. Walaupun kejadian itu mencoreng namanya, Cantona tidak menyesalinya.

Pada tahun 1995, Cantona melepaskan tendangan kepada Matthew Simmons, seorang pendukung Crystal Palace. Akibatnya, Cantona diskors delapan bulan dan didenda 20 ribu poundsterling.

Alih-alih menyesal, Cantona justru merasa lega telah melakukan tendangan itu. Malah, mantan pemain Manchester United itu merasa kalau aksinya justru menyenangkan para pendukungnya.

"Saya pikir mungkin itu seperti mimpi buat beberapa pendukung saya," ujar Cantona kepada BBC.

"Anda tahu, kadang kita harus menendang beberapa fans seperti itu," imbuh pria Prancis itu merujuk kepada Simmons yang dituduhnya telah mengatakan sesuatu yang bernada ancaman.

"Saya melakukannya buat mereka (para fans). Jadi, mereka senang. Itu seperti sebuah pembebasan mereka," kata Cantona yang bagi fans MU dianggap sebagai pemain terbesar itu.
hendiplast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 05:01 AM   #99
hendiplast
captain

hendiplast is a splendid one to beholdhendiplast is a splendid one to beholdhendiplast is a splendid one to beholdhendiplast is a splendid one to beholdhendiplast is a splendid one to beholdhendiplast is a splendid one to beholdhendiplast is a splendid one to beholdhendiplast is a splendid one to beholdhendiplast is a splendid one to behold

Cantona: United Juara EPL dan Liga Champions

SINGAPURA, KOMPAS.com - Legenda Manchester United (MU), Eric Cantona, yakin pasukan Sir Alex Ferguson bisa meraih gelar Premier League musim ini. Tak hanya itu, Cantona juga yakin MU bisa merebut gelar Liga Champions dari tangan Inter Milan.

"Saya pikir MU akan memenangkan liga, tentu saja. Mereka tim yang hebat, punya manajer yang hebat, dan ini adalah tim yang besar. Saya pikir mereka akan memenangkan liga dan mereka punya kesempatan nyata untuk memenangkan Liga Champions," kata Cantona kepada wartawan di Singapura.

Saat ini MU bertengger di posisi puncak dengan nilai 60 poin. Mereka hanya unggul empat poin dari Arsenal yang berada di peringkat kedua. Namun, selisih angka tersebut bisa saja terpangkas jika MU tak bisa mengatasi Liverpool di Anfield, Minggu (6/3/2011). Bagi Cantona, ini merupakan pertandingan spesial yang pastinya berjalan menarik.

"Setiap pertandingan sangat penting tapi yang satu ini spesial karena keduanya adalah tim hebat yang sukses di 20 tahun terakhir. Ini seperti derbi dan (manajer Liverpool, Kenny) Dalglish tampaknya melakukan tugasnya dengan baik. Saya pikir ini akan jadi pertandingan hebat," jelas pria asal Perancis ini.
Old 05-03-2011, 05:16 AM   #100
hendiplast
captain

Manchester United manager Sir Alex Ferguson is a human cyclone, says Eric Cantona
Eric Cantona has attributed Sir Alex Ferguson’s longevity and success to the fact that he resembles “a great cyclone”.

It should be no surprise that the man who brought seagulls and trawlers into English football’s lexicon has a slightly unorthodox explanation for why Ferguson has survived for so long, and with such success.

According to Cantona, speaking exclusively to ESPN, the secret of the Manchester United manager’s longevity in a career that has seen him earn 11 Premier League titles and two European Cups is not his tactical wizardry, his drive and his determination or his man-management.

“Maybe because he has a lot of humility, a lot of humanity,” said the Frenchman, when asked why his former manager has thrived for 25 years at Old Trafford.

“He is a great psychologist. He is very passionate [about] the game. But maybe sometimes he can take [his] distance. Of course he is a great tactician, a great manager. But he is a great cyclone.”

Like so many of the Frenchman’s abstract aphorisms, comparing Ferguson to a weather system seems to make rather more sense after a moment’s thought than at first glance.

Martin Atkinson was simply the most recent victim of the thunderstorms which exist on Ferguson’s extremities. Kenny Dalglish, who the United manager faces on Sunday, appeared to acknowledge yesterday that at his core, all is calm, suggesting that the noise which invariably emanates from Old Trafford before significant fixtures is “all part of the game”.

For Cantona, though, such an obvious, logical explanation would rather ruin the fun. “I think he is a great cyclone,” said the Frenchman, now helping oversee the development of the second incarnation of the New York Cosmos MLS franchise.

“Because he can deal with all generations of players. Now he is nearly 70, but he can deal with players who are 18.

“And in this generation, it is even more different than in others, because the world has changed. It is a virtual world. Some young ones, at 18 years old, sometimes live in a virtual world.

“So it is even more difficult for managers but he can do it very well. It is not so easy to adapt to all generations every time, but he can see them because he works with all generations. He is a kind of genius.

“I admire him because there are so many differences between generations and he has adapted and at the same time tried to help players develop their own personalities.

“He does not want to have all the same players with the same personalities. He tries to help people develop their own. And then they find the freedom and the energies to be even more competitive.”

That principle unquestionably applied to Cantona, a lost soul at Auxerre and Marseille before Ferguson somehow persuaded Howard Wilkinson to allow the Frenchman to leave Leeds.

Now 44, he remains arguably the most successful foreign player ever to grace these shores – four Premier League titles at Old Trafford, as well as one at Elland Road, suggest as much – but, typically counter-intuitively, he feels the trail he blazed may have damaged the English game.

“Maybe there are too many foreign players in England,” he said. “It is not good for the national team. Now Liverpool and Arsenal have more than 10 foreign players, so you have less and less English players. Even in the academies, where they are very young, there are too many foreign players, which is not good for the national team.”

Telegraph

(View-All Members who have read this thread : 120
AAM SR14, Aba_MaczUnited, achiell, adefebsa, alfiandrmwn, ambo ajo, aMieBeckz, and1, Andi Istiabudi, andiancha, anggreawan achmad, ardie febrianto, Ardiey11, asririzky, babol cantona, Blacklist7, Bloody "Devil" R3d, bombom, bs_brew, chevy solskjaer, Deddy Hernandez, devil_heart, dhodoadrian, dimasgustaman, dudut, dwiki, Efri Loebay, Eka UPC, Emank_1412, endhy_cantona, fadilbedil, fajrinited, Febribule, felly_liu, ferrizt, fey777, fredrian.seven, frmnsyh_KEANO, gembul, ghopoereds, goodfron, Gothic, Hamka Husain Pasonai, Hand_rooney, HaRrY-UIK, hdhe16, hendiplast, HRHMU86, iamsetia, irfi_1, jifortin, julius. luturmas, kingherooney, LAM ILHAM, lusiarha, Luthfi4, Mahesa_Jenar, marviel, Merahponod90, MUFC1878, MuhammadTegarAl, mygalzbiatch, NanDerSar, ncut_lgx, NdeGue, Nickz09, oldark, ollacarla, Om Juna, Oom Panda, penk22_, Pure_red, Rean, red, Redsbusby, rendrakristy, rio vander vidic, riska ramdhani, Riskur, rizluq, robby7beckham, ronald hars, ronysnaja, RyanRezha, saksono, santo_kemp, sepatu_ancur, sridaka17, Subagio U. Arra, teguhhidayat, tietocinex, Tio Rizky Ari, tovanokristan, Trezz Kiko, tumpal_oneunited, tyquack, Ucup Carrick, UdyMUFC, uicb-dyz, unai cantona, UNITED1878, Uwie_andriana, VaDLi, vankyoet, Van_Munandar, Victory, wahyou91, waynehanks, wazzapoetra, wira_ozora, xkeiszglf34, zudomiriku, [skywalker]